Will Serena reach 22 slams? More?

Will Serena get 22 or more slams?

• Total voters

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Jelenafan said:
I think Serena's "urgency" is that the clock is ticking but since she feels physically fine, I would think as long as her motivation is there she can go a few more years at a good competitive level.

Martina N. played a USO final at age 34 and reached her last Wimbledon final in 1994 at the age of 37, and this after a grueling 150+ tournament wins over a span of 18 years on the tour. ( by 94 Wimbledon she had been close to 20 years on the professional tour)

Winning the Grand Slam and tying Steffi's 22 Majors, as well as winning her 7th USO (an open record) is motivation enough in September.

it's funny how things work out, she seemed to feel alot of pressure tying Chris and Martina's 18th, and yet when she finally did it last year, it was her "easiest" Major win in years, not dropping a set in Flushing Meadows.

Serena has that champion mentality. I'm not convinced the motivation won't drop off a bit after 22. Olympic years have been markers for a while for retirement. People kind of expected Venus, Serena, and Roger to look at 2016 as a bookend year. I'm not sure if Serena is thinking that way but I can't imagine her playing many years after it to be honest. Not for lack of ability, just because she's accomplished all there is to accomplish and Serena has a full life outside of tennis.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good point.

However my own spin is that Serena "enjoys"being the undisputed top player these days. She will probably by next year surpass Martina's 156 consecutive weeks at #1 and Steffi's record of 186 consecutive weeks is well within her radar scope. For the record, Serena right now has 126 consecutive weeks and counting at #1.

My point is that everything from now on and counting is breaking one record or another, or approaching some milestone.

Personally I think Serena thought more about post tennis careers when she was younger (such as acting) but I get the feel that Serena realizes now that what she does best is play tennis , period. She also seems to enjoy more than ever the "celebrity" of a tennis star without that taking away focus from her actual training, which was the knock earlier from some quarters about her. When a male tennis star is doing well, folks normally don't second guess when he is going to retire, so it sort of annoys me that the issue comes up with Serena alot more. Not in this particular thread right now, but in other media articles.

However I think Serena realizes that at age 33, she can't afford to spend time on side careers and her tennis if she wants to keep her focus.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jelenafan said:
Good point.

However my own spin is that Serena "enjoys"being the undisputed top player these days. She will probably by next year surpass Martina's 156 consecutive weeks at #1 and Steffi's record of 186 consecutive weeks is well within her radar scope. For the record, Serena right now has 126 consecutive weeks and counting at #1.

My point is that everything from now on and counting is breaking one record or another, or approaching some milestone.

Personally I think Serena thought more about post tennis careers when she was younger (such as acting) but I get the feel that Serena realizes now that what she does best is play tennis , period. She also seems to enjoy more than ever the "celebrity" of a tennis star without that taking away focus from her actual training, which was the knock earlier from some quarters about her. When a male tennis star is doing well, folks normally don't second guess when he is going to retire, so it sort of annoys me that the issue comes up with Serena alot more. Not in this particular thread right now, but in other media articles.

However I think Serena realizes that at age 33, she can't afford to spend time on side careers and her tennis if she wants to keep her focus.

When a player gets older, that's just natural. People are talking about Federer and when he will walk away all the time. I think we talk about Serena and retirement so much is because of the huge hole she will leave behind and the complete chaos that will ensue without a true leader.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Jelenafan said:
Good point.

When a player gets older, that's just natural. People are talking about Federer and when he will walk away all the time. I think we talk about Serena and retirement so much is because of the huge hole she will leave behind and the complete chaos that will ensue without a true leader.
I don't think that either one of them will walk away anytime soon. There's just one player who's better than Fed at the moment, JUST ONE, and it seems that he'll remain in the mix for awhile longer. Besides, Fed is so popular that people would pay money to see him masturbate.

And Serena has even less reason to walk away. She's so far ahead of the field that even if she would start to decline from now on she would still be the best.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I mean, she's almost 7000 points ahead of her nearest rival, the #2 ranked player, who has not beaten in over 10 years.

Serena is arguaby the most dominant she has ever been in the WTA so while she is "older" , for now (and let's include Roger) chronological age almost seems a moot point.

Her own sister, who has struggled with physical ailments is still playing and enjoying tennis at age 35 and hasn't indicated when she will retire yet either.

Serena didn't play junior tennis, has played the most limited schedule in the last 45 years of WTA Open tennis so it's hard to tell when her mental edge will start to drastically decline.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Jelenafan said:
Good point.

To be fair people have been speculating about a Federer retirement since he turned 30. Then even more so after he had kids.

I agree with you that she is enjoying being a "tennis" star right now in terms of celebrity in a way she didn't when she was younger. I think in her 20s it was really difficult for her to see her celebrity friends go from place to place and party to party while she only got to spend a few days here and there with them and then it was back to the absolute HARDEST most grueling grind a person can experience.

I also think a big part of her motivation to be on tour now is Patrick. Even a few years ago she kept losing motivation once she got back to the top and showed she was still dominant.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Serena will retire after reaching 25. She may be still physically fit. There still may be nobody to challenge her. But, there will be no motivation and there will be champion's fatigue (to use Bodo's term).

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I have to be honest. One year ago I would have said that getting to 22 (let alone 24 or more) was absolutely impossible and I would have regarded anyone who claimed otherwise to be delusional. Why? The simple logic that at her age you are supposed to be past your peak and you're definitely not supposed to be winning slams all over the place anymore. But since Serena is exceptional I thought it possible that she would get even with Chrissie and Martina and that she had an outside chance of getting perhaps one more. But what we ended up with is perhaps the most astonishing accomplishment in the history of the game. Therefore, while I'm in principle not a big fan of the single GOAT idea, I am now of the opinion that Serena is indeed the GOAT.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will reach 22 slams this year.....the jealous folk in the locker room will be more mad and salty.lol

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We will see. I can see Serena continuing as long as she feels she can win within reason. I can't see her wanting to continue playing singles into her late 30s, but stranger things have happened. I hope once she moves past Graf the nerves ease up a bit.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I want Serena to play for two more years and then retire on a high note...then make mini Serenas ...she really has to pass on those fantastic atheletic genes.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am actually thinking she will retire probably 2017. Hearing her talk about revamping her training to stay motivated to train while good because it means she wants to be out there continuing on tour also means that if she is having to get creative to find means to want to continue training the end can't be too far along.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The question is what will we see from Serena now? Normally, a loss at this level encourages her even more. Will we see that? Or, will we see the rest of the field encouraged further to renew their ferocity against her?

I am inclined to say a mixture. I think we will see a focused and determined Serena in Australia. I would love to see her win another French and end it at 4. I think where she will be most determined is at the U.S. Open to bounce back from that tough loss. Realistically, I can see her giving her all next year since it is an Olympic year and more than likely her final Olympic appearance. Realistically, I probably see her bagging two slams maybe 3 if she focuses and really pushes past her "phobia" of getting it done in straight sets.

I can see her probably retiring in 2017. I think that year she will win 1 or two and leave it at that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is conceivable that Serena and Venus might play doubles together for about 5 years after retiring from Singles and tack on may be 10 more doubles GS titles.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I can see Serena trying to get the last two mixed titles she needs after she retires from singles.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
The question is what will we see from Serena now? Normally, a loss at this level encourages her even more. Will we see that? Or, will we see the rest of the field encouraged further to renew their ferocity against her?

I am inclined to say a mixture. I think we will see a focused and determined Serena in Australia. I would love to see her win another French and end it at 4. I think where she will be most determined is at the U.S. Open to bounce back from that tough loss. Realistically, I can see her giving her all next year since it is an Olympic year and more than likely her final Olympic appearance. Realistically, I probably see her bagging two slams maybe 3 if she focuses and really pushes past her "phobia" of getting it done in straight sets.

I can see her probably retiring in 2017. I think that year she will win 1 or two and leave it at that.

Im going to predict 2 next year. Im curious to see if there will be buzz from her camp about retiring post olympics. I think she really didn't enjoy playing slams this year after that pressure for the grand slam was put on her. Maybe she won't be as tight in Australia with that pressure off.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So where do we cap Serena off? I am still saying 24 while Serena is still making it far in tournaments I don't know that I see her wanting to be out there any longer than 2017 maybe 2018 if she wins at the slams in 2017. I can't see Serena being like other players and not trying to defend her title if she has one to defend. Where do we see her winning her last slam? I am going to say French Open or US Open.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think she will give it one more year after this especially since she is the b2b Wimbledon singles champ. I think her number is gonna be 25

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think she will start winding down next year and retire at the Open..at some point she has to retire.