Will Serena reach 22 slams? More?

Will Serena get 22 or more slams?

• Total voters

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The thing is though Serena's first half of the year has usually been messy for the most part if you look at her career. She is either going to bag Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, but not both. I think it is an easier ask to complete another Serena Slam over a Calendar Slam. Plus, she has won three times in a row at the U.S. Open, so I feel she is about due for a loss there. However if we have another top seed meltdown like last year, she could get another one.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Many of you are missing the issue here regarding Serena. The thing that may cause her not to get more than 22 slams is not the physical, but the motivational factor.

How anyone could have watched the French Open and not realize, the reason she played so many three-setters, particular the three in a row had less to do with physical state and more with her motivational state, is beyond me.

Fact is, only thing that will keep Serena from 22 is getting up mentally for every match. If she can't do that, then there is a possibly it may take her awhile to get there.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think there was a bit of both the physical and mental happening. In some matches the physical was more evident than others.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena is just tired...nothing to do with age but just a hectic schedule.She now has three weeks to regroup and win the Serena Slam...get used to it.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I always find it interesting when people say Serena had no rivals. I would say some key rivals were Capriati, Venus Williams and Henin. Capriati and Henin in particular usually gave her some tough quarterfinal matches. Serena lost quite a few tough 3 setters to Jennifer at RG and the tough one at the U.S. Open in 2004. She also lost a few QF to Justine namely 2007 when Justine really was in her stride. Venus as well I keep thinking about that 2008 Wimbledon where Serena had a break in both sets. Sure after 2009, the level of competition got interesting and Serena found her stride until injury hit. I would say 2012 and on is really where you can say she has no rival. She has many challenges, but no one consistently denying her titles like in years before 2011 I would say.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I always find it interesting when people say Serena had no rivals. I would say some key rivals were Capriati, Venus Williams and Henin. Capriati and Henin in particular usually gave her some tough quarterfinal matches. Serena lost quite a few tough 3 setters to Jennifer at RG and the tough one at the U.S. Open in 2004. She also lost a few QF to Justine namely 2007 when Justine really was in her stride. Venus as well I keep thinking about that 2008 Wimbledon where Serena had a break in both sets. Sure after 2009, the level of competition got interesting and Serena found her stride until injury hit. I would say 2012 and on is really where you can say she has no rival. She has many challenges, but no one consistently denying her titles like in years before 2011 I would say.

I agree. If Steffi's rival was Monica, Steffi won 22 Monica won 9 slams. Secondary rivals were Sanchez Vicarro who won 4, Sabatini won 1, and at the end Hingis who won 5.

Serena's rivals were Venus who won 7 slams, Justine who won 7 slams, Sharapova who won 5 slams, Clijsters who won 4, Kuznetsova who won 3, and Vika who won 2. All of those players had careers who were completely within Serena's careers.

Sure you could say Navratilova was technically within Steffi's time but her greatest triumphs weren't within Steffi's career.

Perhaps the best example of players who had to face a rival of equal historical significance is Navratilova who peaked with Chris Evert.

Still its silly to say Serena faced no rivals.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's just the last few years with Capriati and Hingis bowing out first, then Henin and Clijsters, and Venus' decline. We had some "faus pax" No. 1s for a while (Jankovic, Safina, Wozniacki, Ivanovic) and then Sharapova who showed promise in 2004 and now just the most over-achieving player in the history of the WTA. Azarenka looked good but it's starting to look like she won't be back to her slam level. We've seen some young ones come up but right now Serena just stomps her foot down and sends them away. Who will be the one who takes the mantle? Serena has a great chance to rack up some more slams until that person comes along.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I actually think her performance at RG against Serena shows Vika is closed to getting back to her best. She has never been particularly good on clay. She played her close. I think she'll be tough to beat at Flushing

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Many of you are missing the issue here regarding Serena. The thing that may cause her not to get more than 22 slams is not the physical, but the motivational factor.

How anyone could have watched the French Open and not realize, the reason she played so many three-setters, particular the three in a row had less to do with physical state and more with her motivational state, is beyond me.

Fact is, only thing that will keep Serena from 22 is getting up mentally for every match. If she can't do that, then there is a possibly it may take her awhile to get there.

What are you talking about? You do realized that she was ill during the FO..Right. What would prevent Serena from winning more than 22 majors is not her motivation, but her health. Serena can stop playing tomorrow, but she will not because she's motivated to win more majors.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Calvy said:

What are you talking about? You do realized that she was ill during the FO..Right. What would prevent Serena from winning more than 22 majors is not her motivation, but her health. Serena can stop playing tomorrow, but she will not because she's motivated to win more majors.

I think I know where Calvy is coming from but I don't think it will be a problem from 22 I think it will become a problem after. Serena often has lulls in motivation when she isn't chasing a new record or she feels like she needs to prove herself to silly commentators. If her goal is just to tie Steffi then perhaps there will be a drop off after 22 if she wants to beat her then 23. I can't imagine she's vein thinking about Court's record yet.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
special700 said:
Calvy said:

I think I know where Calvy is coming from but I don't think it will be a problem from 22 I think it will become a problem after. Serena often has lulls in motivation when she isn't chasing a new record or she feels like she needs to prove herself to silly commentators. If her goal is just to tie Steffi then perhaps there will be a drop off after 22 if she wants to beat her then 23. I can't imagine she's vein thinking about Court's record yet.

I see your point - After she get to 22 more so 23.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, Serena has never struck me as the type of person who bases her goals solely on obvious things like Graf's number. She sets simple goals like win Wimbledon again or win the Serena Slam again. I think that is what will keep her going is making small, simple goals that ultimately lead to the bigger goals. I think that is what makes her life easier and makes her the smarter champion is keeping it in this simple, one task at a time mentality. It is what will ultimately keep her going.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Has Serena ever mentioned anything about breaking Court's record? It seems like I remember her saying something about 22 but not sure if she has ever mentioned 25.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think right now Serena is focused on Wimbledon. She is taking everything one step at a time. She has talked about 22 in a roundabout way where she always deflects back to well I never thought I would have this many. I think she is being cautious about putting anything out there. I can't say I blame her as who wants anymore media attention and pressure than she usually gets at this point in her career. I also think she is being cautious because she doesn't want to put something out there and then say injury happen and that ends that.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think right now Serena is focused on Wimbledon. She is taking everything one step at a time. She has talked about 22 in a roundabout way where she always deflects back to well I never thought I would have this many. I think she is being cautious about putting anything out there. I can't say I blame her as who wants anymore media attention and pressure than she usually gets at this point in her career. I also think she is being cautious because she doesn't want to put something out there and then say injury happen and that ends that.

Yeah, I agree. It seems that she is just focusing on where she is at. The best way to go about it,

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Serena's "urgency" is that the clock is ticking but since she feels physically fine, I would think as long as her motivation is there she can go a few more years at a good competitive level.

Martina N. played a USO final at age 34 and reached her last Wimbledon final in 1994 at the age of 37, and this after a grueling 150+ tournament wins over a span of 18 years on the tour. ( by 94 Wimbledon she had been close to 20 years on the professional tour)

Winning the Grand Slam and tying Steffi's 22 Majors, as well as winning her 7th USO (an open record) is motivation enough in September.

it's funny how things work out, she seemed to feel alot of pressure tying Chris and Martina's 18th, and yet when she finally did it last year, it was her "easiest" Major win in years, not dropping a set in Flushing Meadows.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena is enroute to her first Grand Slam and she will realize her wish...she will hold four USA Open titles in 2015 nothing will stop this from happening...
go Rena go!