Will Novak pass Rafa?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger and Rafa had shown several times that they can come back after others have written off and win major titles. We were not sure whether Novak can do that type of comeback. Now, he has certainly shown us that he can do so as well. He has won Wimbledon, after two years out in the pasture. So, it is time that we have a thread to address this topic.

Novak has 13 GS titles. Rafa has 17 GS titles. So, the difference is 4.

Also, for a major part of recent past, Novak lives in Rafa's head without paying rent.

Finally, Rafa's home ground of RG is no longer safe, as Nole is no slouch on clay and he won't be skipping it like Fed.

I guess, Novak is younger by one year. So, even if both Novak and Rafa retire at exactly the same age, that gives Novak four more opportunities.

What do you folks think?

p.s.1. We have similar threads titled " will x pass y", but not this one.

p.s.2. Interestingly, we have a thread titled "Will Novak pass Federer" but not this one as at one time it was assumed that Novak passing Rafa is a surety.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak has now shown his master credentials for sure. He came back, just like Roger and Rafa have. Rafa's slam count has to still be in play. Of all the Big 4, he's the only one left with a realistic chance at all the slams

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak has now shown his master credentials for sure. He came back, just like Roger and Rafa have. Rafa's slam count has to still be in play. Of all the Big 4, he's the only one left with a realistic chance at all the slams

What do u mean?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Novak will keep Nadal from reaching Fed and Nadal will do the same to Novak unfortunately. I think he can catch Nadal but it will be really tough. He needs a couple of really good slams.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fed is done btw. 20 will be his final tally.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak will keep Nadal from reaching Fed and Nadal will do the same to Novak unfortunately. I think he can catch Nadal but it will be really tough. He needs a couple of really good slams.

That is the good part of Novak's revival. But, let us focus on whether he can pass Rafa in this thread.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Suit yourself. I think you know it’s over too.
I do? I didn't think it was over when all you folks claimed so in the barren years. So how on earth am I going to think that now when he's one of the slam holders this year? That makes no sense to me at all

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I do? I didn't think it was over when all you folks claimed so in the barren years. So how on earth am I going to think that now when he's one of the slam holders this year? That makes no sense to me at all
He is also three years older, he faced no competition this AO, and you saw him play against Anderson.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
He is also three years older, he faced no competition this AO, and you saw him play against Anderson.
He didn't play well, so what? That's happened before. And I have no doubt it will happen again. Trying to plot a linear projection for any human being is the height of folly. To do that against a proven winner is irrational. Perhaps you hope he's done, but I doubt he gives a hoot what you or I think. As for the draw in AO, I can barely remember it, but you prove the point. Things can fall his way quite easily. So writing him off is more hope than sense to me

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He didn't play well, so what? That's happened before. And I have no doubt it will happen again. Trying to plot a linear projection for any human being is the height of folly. To do that against a proven winner is irrational. Perhaps you hope he's done, but I doubt he gives a hoot what you or I think. As for the draw in AO, I can barely remember it, but you prove the point. Things can fall his way quite easily. So writing him off is more hope than sense to me
Ok sure but he’s getting really old it won’t help him and Nole is now a factor again. Not just Nadal. Of all three he is the one least likely to win more slams now I think.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok sure but he’s getting really old it won’t help him and Nole is now a factor again. Not just Nadal. Of all three he is the one least likely to win more slams now I think.
that's your opinion, and you're certainly welcome to it. Personally I wouldn't presume. As I said with Novak when everyone was writing him off, I wanted to give him until the end of this year to see if he could overcome his mental issues, and he did it ahead of time. That's a credit to him. I'm not sure how much of a factor age is at the moment. He looks to be in pretty good condition. it's all about the hunger in my opinion

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic will have to be consistent for the next year or so. He can do well on hard courts and RG as well. With this grass, I have no doubt that he can win at least two more Wimbledon titles. But Nadal can win Wimbledon too, if he can get a good draw, like this year. I think it is not easy to tell if he can pass Nadal.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Suit yourself. I think you know it’s over too.

Lol, no. Fed at 40 could win Wimbledon, not saying he will but I wouldn't count him out. It took a massive choke for him to miss the final this year and who knows how it'd play out today. One more stinking point against this cupcake...but oh well. I don't think he's done yet if he stays hungry (part of his problem here id guess)

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
As to this thread I don't think he will pass or even catch Rafa. Eventually the young generation is going to become relevant, and if it is more than 1 of them it gets that much tougher for all of them.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
In terms of slam count? He already should be ahead but god knows what will happen. dull is just too unpredictable for me, never know when he gets a joke draw like USO 17 so it's almost impossible to predict his end tally. This is a man who goes from not winning even a 500 event to winning a slam after 3 years. It's ridiculous luck so how the hell do you put a number to that? I mean after 2016, most thought he'll be lucky to win a slam, possibly another RG and that's it. He's won 3 and just made SF of Wimbledon. So on what basis can we predict what dull is capable of? He will always have RG and he simply rides that momentum and mental edge he gains there for the other slams. Neither Faker nor Fed have this luxury. It's a HUGE advantage to be a near lock in your pet slam for more than a fucking decade.

In terms of achievements, Faker is just better overall, just because dull can rattle of RG after RG year after year doesn't make him better than Djokovic.

Last edited:

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Infact it's almost impossible to say which of the "big 3" will end up with what tally. At this point, Fed looks almost done. Max 2 slams for him and that is pushing it specially now that faker is back to top flight tennis.

As far as faker and dull go, I don't think even Nostradamus could predict their slam count. They're favourites or co-favourites in all 4 slams so good luck predicting their end tally.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As to this thread I don't think he will pass or even catch Rafa. Eventually the young generation is going to become relevant, and if it is more than 1 of them it gets that much tougher for all of them.
I couldn’t press like, but I agree the younger generation is going to be a factor at some point. I think Novak missed the GOAT train due to his shanagans the past two years, these were his years to harvest and deny fedal those slams they got.

Reactions: DarthFed