Will Nadal pass Federer?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great table up above, and I agree to Roger sort of followed the norm (when compared to Bjorn, Pete and Rafa) yet his accumulation over time has stood out--along with Rafa's. Two special, special players to be sure--kind of a Pete-Andre squared (just joking).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Pete-Andre squared is better than this fella at least! :p

peter.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
DarthFed said:
Roger's lack of longevity is the problem. He was a late bloomer winning his first slam just before age 22 and then by age 28 he was a complete shell of himself and has only won 2 slams since. Nadal won his first slam at age 19 and has just won one at age 28.

This is a bit hyperbolic, Darth. He wasn't a "complete shell of himself" at age 28, he simply was no longer in his absolute peak - like most players aren't at that age. Roger's age-related decline doesn't point to a problem of longevity; if anything, he's been able to maintain a strong plateau longer than most players.

I created the table in the earlier post to show that this not a hyperbole. Roger's bell
curve tapers off fast at either end where as Rafa's bell curve tapers much less drastically
in the front end (and will do so probably at back end as well). But, the peak of Roger's
Bell curve is considerably higher than the peak of Rafa's Bell curve (and lasted longer
as well).

Approximately speaking, Fed has so far played 60 slams and won 17. His distribution is
as follows:

First 20 ----------------- 2
Second 20 ------------ 13
Next 20 ---------------- 2

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Great table up above, and I agree to Roger sort of followed the norm (when compared to Bjorn, Pete and Rafa) yet his accumulation over time has stood out--along with Rafa's. Two special, special players to be sure--kind of a Pete-Andre squared (just joking).

Pete took 52 appearances to win 14. Nadal needed only 38 and Fed needed only 40.

Agassi took 50 appearances to win 8, Nadal needed only 25 and Fed needed only 29.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Some interesting stats there, GSM as always. Cheers.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
You can give whatever chances, you want to as you are entitled to have an
opinion. The chances for Roger and Rafa reaching different number of GS totals
given in the article are not the opinions of the author. They are calculated based
on sound methodology
. You have already admitted that in your post. My purpose
here is not to criticize you or to devalue your opinion. I just want to make sure
that unsuspecting readers do not assume that the probabilites given in the articles
are opinions like that of yours or that of some one else, commenting here.

So, in the end, though, stats and probability don't tell us what's going to happen, right? Predictors of the future, but with no certainty. Good fun, as far as it goes.

Of course, nobody can predict future.

That does not mean all predictions are equally reasonable or anything goes.

It is precisely for the purpose of taming the uncertainity that probability theory was developed.

Yes, and yours seems as reasonable as El Dude's. But let's not kid ourselves that we're really "taming uncertainty" here. That was part of my point earlier in this thread about being beyond the realm of statistics. And I've made the same point about Nadal and the French Open. Just because something has been done rarely, or never, doesn't mean it can't be done. I think Federer and Sampras and Nadal have launched us off into a place where grading by those in the past makes the curve irrelevant. Will Nadal catch Federer? Who knows? Will Nadal actually get 10 French Open titles? Who knows? At this point, I don't give a fig for your statistics, because I think we've wandered into unknown territory. And I say that with all respect, but does it really matter how old John McEnroe was when he won his last Major, at this refined altitude?

First of all, "it" is not mine. I don't want to be seen as taking credit for the beautiful
analysis done by the author of that article.

Second, you don't seem to get it. See the bolded comment in your previous post included
here. When the weather forecaster says tomorrow it is likely to rain, that is a prediction
with no certainity. That does not mean the forecast does not have value. I am sure
that you do watch weather forecast and take it seriously or do you say it is "good fun"?
The fact that something cannot be predicted with certainity does not make predictions
meaningless or devoid of value. The whole taming of uncertainity is about quantifying
the chances of some event happening despite being able to say for sure.

The weather forecast is based on so much past information and pattern analysis.
One might ask what does tomorrow's weather got to do with the weather on the same
day in 1947. But, that also plays a role in the prediction of tomorrow's weather. Likewise
McEnroe's age when he got a slam is a meaningful data in this prediction.

Finally, with respect to Roger and Rafa achieving great things which have never
been achieved, that greatness has been factored into the calculation by means of
the greatness coefficient. The article is not projecting the future slams of Rafa or
Roger just based on other medicore player's results in old age. It does give allowance
for the fact that since Roger and Rafa are great, they are more likely to do great
things even at old age when compared to mortal folks.

Just a few more figs for you to not care. :snigger

I think perhaps I didn't explain well why I didn't take the stats more on board, but it's a lot because I think we're all believing the same things as the stats, and then it just becomes a question of what really happens. It seems to me that stats only take you so far, and from there you converse about them. And the human element comes in, as El Dude says he takes into account. Once we look at the numbers, then we all still speculate from there, based on what we know, and can reasonably conjecture.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
^ I'm hoping the next player to really make a mark in terms of racking up slams is Nick Kyrgios. Only time will tell but he's definitely a hell of a player already at 19.

Nick may end up with the same amount of slams as yourself

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:
^ I'm hoping the next player to really make a mark in terms of racking up slams is Nick Kyrgios. Only time will tell but he's definitely a hell of a player already at 19.

He may indeed but that's true of every player and he's showing more potential than most. Next few months will be interesting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Stranger things have happened... I equaled Lance Armstrong's number of Tour de France titles last year.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I created the table in the earlier post to show that this not a hyperbole. Roger's bell
curve tapers off fast at either end where as Rafa's bell curve tapers much less drastically
in the front end (and will do so probably at back end as well). But, the peak of Roger's
Bell curve is considerably higher than the peak of Rafa's Bell curve (and lasted longer
as well).

Approximately speaking, Fed has so far played 60 slams and won 17. His distribution is
as follows:

Slam wins is only one data point. It is an important one - probably the most important one - but you've got to look at other factors: overall winning percentage, Slam results other than wins, results at other tournaments, etc.

But I agree with you that Roger's bell curve is more drastic than Rafa's - that is clear. I just think that DarthFed's phrase "shell of himself" was hyperbolic.

I think, also, the rise of Rafa, Novak, and Andy steepened that post-peak curve. As I've said, there's no equivalenet for Rafa so his decline might be slower (at least at first).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Stranger things have happened... I equaled Lance Armstrong's number of Tour de France titles last year.

:clap:snigger:laydownlaughing:lolz::cool:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Britbox was brilliant with that retort. So clever. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
GameSetAndMath said:
as well).

as follows:

Slam wins is only one data point. It is an important one - probably the most important one - but you've got to look at other factors: overall winning percentage, Slam results other than wins, results at other tournaments, etc.

As this thread is about the possibility of Nadal cathing up to Fed, I was focusing on GS title
wins only.

You are right. Roger does not suck as bad in other data points about which most people
don't care.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Independent of whether Nadal catches up with Fed or not, Tennis wins in view of this
situation. In particular, the next 10 slams or so will have unusually high significance and
fought more fiercely than normal by these two guys, if not by everybody.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This will be very interesting to monitor. Roger won only 2 slams (so far), after he turned 28. One at 28 and a half (AO 2010) and one at 30 + (almost 31).
Will Rafa get a better conversion late in his career than Roger? Very intriguing, because many predicted Rafa will decline at faster pace.
Of course, a lot will depend on how the opposition will do.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
This will be very interesting to monitor. Roger won only 2 slams (so far), after he turned 28. One at 28 and a half (AO 2010) and one at 30 + (almost 31).
Will Rafa get a better conversion late in his career than Roger? Very intriguing, because many predicted Rafa will decline at faster pace.
Of course, a lot will depend on how the opposition will do.

It really depends on Rafael and his team,Rafael has prepared for the non Wimbledon slams very well.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
If he does, it will still mean different things to different people.

Myself , for example...I don't think Roger is the best ever because of slam counts, wtf's , weeks at number one...I think of him as the best for me because of the style, the magic produced on court, the impossible shots he pulls of that other players would not even think about attempting, the amazing creativity and improvisation...

Others might feel the same for Rafa NOW, even without passing Roger's slam count or coming close to his weeks at number one.

All personal.

And yes, I think Nadal can make it to 18 and pass Roger.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:

Myself , for example...I don't think Roger is the best ever because of slam counts, wtf's , weeks at number one...I think of him as the best for me because of the style, the magic produced on court, the impossible shots he pulls of that other players would not even think about attempting, the amazing creativity and improvisation...

Others might feel the same for Rafa NOW, even without passing Roger's slam count or coming close to his weeks at number one.

All personal.

Rafael has to pass him. Every year , I meet a new player on the tennis courts , they are always nice and interesting folks until we began a discussion about the current ATP tour and discover they are one of Them, a Fed Fan . The conversation stops because I know the dislike of Rafael is coming. It just the way it Is.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:

All personal.

Greatness is all about achievement. Slams aren't everything but they are the biggest thing. Roger still has a lot of work to do to secure his career. His career is amazing now, but it could be a different story in a few years if he doesn't man up and start playing well.