Why do people like the music they like?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I never had a Walkman, but my little brother did. I just prefer to sit in my room and spin my long-playing records LPs). Then we get a cassette player and I was forced to buy cassettes. Of course, I also remember the 8-track cartridges weeks to put in cars and stereo systems. Those were a riot. To this day, when I hear certain songs my mind can still hear the song stop and switch from tract 3 to 4 LOL.
Lol. I often played L.P.'s & singles (when I felt like walking up & down to the record player) & we had cassettes too. I didn't like tapes tangling or records scratching. Then we got C.D.'s. Dad always had 78's too. Lol.

Reactions: tented

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ My parents passed down to me some 78s back in the Seventies. They were singles from the Fifties, plus The Twist from Chubby Checker in 1963 (????). Can't recall if it was that year or another. I know it was before The Beatles descended from the Pan Am jet to the tarmac in February of 1964.

Reactions: Horsa

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting discussion. I find I like alot of music based on mood and sometimes event-based nostalgia and it covers most genres. Sometimes I don't even have to like a particular tune but just hearing it can remind one of a particular period in the past (good or bad). A bad piece of music can remind you of something good, and vice versa if that makes sense. I guess , music by association.

Outside of event-musical-association, I love Classical Music - Bach particularly, Anthems that reach to the heart (i.e. Flower of Scotland, the Welsh Mae hen Wlad Fy Nhadau/Land of My Fathers) and the great French Le Marseillaise, and emotional numbers sung by the great tenors such as Placido Domingo and Pavarotti. Deep Ballads are also on the list. 80s and 90s music feature highly. Utterly despise Rap and Heavy Metal apart from one or two songs.

Reactions: Horsa and shawnbm

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The old Walkman! I remember mine, it had earphones that didn’t fit tightly against the ear, at all! To hear the music I needed to press them tightly to the ear, even while walking down the street. The leakage was infamous!

:lulz1:
At least you had a genuine one! I received a "version" of a Walkman (i.e. cheap copy) made by a shitty company called Alba. As it was a gift, we were taught to smile and say thanks, while knowing the thing would work for about 6 weeks at best.

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting discussion. I find I like alot of music based on mood and sometimes event-based nostalgia and it covers most genres. Sometimes I don't even have to like a particular tune but just hearing it can remind one of a particular period in the past (good or bad). A bad piece of music can remind you of something good, and vice versa if that makes sense. I guess , music by association.

Outside of event-musical-association, I love Classical Music - Bach particularly, Anthems that reach to the heart (i.e. Flower of Scotland, the Welsh Mae hen Wlad Fy Nhadau/Land of My Fathers) and the great French Le Marseillaise, and emotional numbers sung by the great tenors such as Placido Domingo and Pavarotti. Deep Ballads are also on the list. 80s and 90s music feature highly. Utterly despise Rap and Heavy Metal apart from one or two songs.
My favorite modern tenor--the king of opera, Placido Domingo!!! Ole!

Reactions: britbox and Kieran

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But, the prince of tenors, Franco Corelli, in his prime was another favorite. I greatly admire the great Caruso, who sounds so incredible on those old phonograph records and you can hear the power of his voice from over a century ago. Then there is the freak of nature, Jussi Bjorling of Sweden, who possessed an incredible gift that unfortunately became tainted over the years due to his alcoholism. Popular in the movies, Mario Lanza had a tremendous voice. There are many others, of course. Love me some Opera

tented

Administrator
Reactions
But, the prince of tenors, Franco Corelli, in his prime was another favorite. I greatly admire the great Caruso, who sounds so incredible on those old phonograph records and you can hear the power of his voice from over a century ago. Then there is the freak of nature, Jussi Bjorling of Sweden, who possessed an incredible gift that unfortunately became tainted over the years due to his alcoholism. Popular in the movies, Mario Lanza had a tremendous voice. There are many others, of course. Love me some Opera
Are you a Wagner fan? If so, are there any performances you would recommend?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Richard Wagner's music!!!!!!! A supreme giant in opera and music generally. Obviously, Tristan und Isolde is a must. Lohengrin is also a must. Siegfried from the Ring Cycle is wonderful too, but especially the end with Gotterdammerung! I adore Parsifal as well. Good Lord--he is sooooo fantastic.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Richard Wagner's music!!!!!!! A supreme giant in opera and music generally. Obviously, Tristan und Isolde is a must. Lohengrin is also a must. Siegfried from the Ring Cycle is wonderful too, but especially the end with Gotterdammerung! I adore Parsifal as well. Good Lord--he is sooooo fantastic.
I’d like to get into Wagner but they played Here Comes The Bride at my wedding and it turned me against him ever since!

:lol6:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For those who do not know Richard Wagner or think they do not know him, they definitely know his music if they ever saw that wonderful Arthurian cinematic masterpiece, EXCALIBUR, directed by John Boorman from around 1981. The music throughout the majority that film is by Wagner. The very end where they match the scene with his music when Percival throws Excalibur back into the hand of the Lady of the Lake is nothing short of genius in art.

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
^ My parents passed down to me some 78s back in the Seventies. They were singles from the Fifties, plus The Twist from Chubby Checker in 1963 (????). Can't recall if it was that year or another. I know it was before The Beatles descended from the Pan Am jet to the tarmac in February of 1964.
The ones I've got are classical & jazz instrumentals as well as brass instrumentals. I've also got some 78's from the '40's & some Bing (True love).

Horsa

Reactions

It is indeed. Thank you very much. Music does bring back a lot of memories both good & bad.

Out of Scotland's unofficial national anthems I prefer the old one (Scotland the Brave). I like some classical music. I like Bach when reading or doing homework for work & training for work. (I guess I should listen to some while I read all this boring stuff I've to re-read & revise for the accounting synoptic exam I've got on Monday. *I'm just finishing my accounting course work sent me on & I started payroll on Tuesday.* I'm on the most boring unit ever *law, contract law, businesses, ethics & sustainability, economics & globalisation, writing letters & emails & information* The most interesting parts are the mock exams as actual calculations are required from the first 2 units & the practical writing parts of the letter & email section as we have to imagine we're in particular circumstances & write letters & emails. *Oops! I guess I should stop wasting time & start doing work. Lol*) Classical music is especially good for making me work more quickly & efficiently. I like Welsh choral music.

I love love songs & ballads. I also like some 80s & 90s music.

I don't like rap or heavy metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

Horsa

Reactions
As a few people have mentioned about how music brings back memories, I thought they might find this video interesting. (I do.) I've got the book "Your brain on music" which sounds fascinating. I haven't had a chance to read it yet though.

Enjoy! I hope you find it interesting.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Are there any particular recordings you like? I have the incredible version conducted by Solti from the 1960s, with Birgit Nilsson. It was recently remastered at Abbey Road Studios, and sounds amazing.

• Love
Reactions: shawnbm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I want to catch up on some things on this thread, but one thing that astonishes me is that some of you can read or study with music on. And I'm going to guess that I'm the least musical or aural person on this thread. I don't even run with music on, unless serious distance. Maybe I'll try reading with something non-lyrical in the bkg, but I just know then I wouldn't hear it. Sometimes, when I go to the symphony, I have to close my eyes just so I can hear the music and concentrate on it. You all amaze me that you can listen to music and do anything else, except clean house or dance.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I want to catch up on some things on this thread, but one thing that astonishes me is that some of you can read or study with music on. And I'm going to guess that I'm the least musical or aural person on this thread. I don't even run with music on, unless serious distance. Maybe I'll try reading with something non-lyrical in the bkg, but I just know then I wouldn't hear it. Sometimes, when I go to the symphony, I have to close my eyes just so I can hear the music and concentrate on it. You all amaze me that you can listen to music and do anything else, except clean house or dance.
I sing to music too. :0)

I find the music beneficial. It especially helps me concentrate more when what I'm reading or doing is boring. It gives the annoying part of my head that's telling me "this is boring, I can't do it, I'm giving up" something to do so the more productive part of my head can continue & get some work done. It also stops me from getting too distressed if what I'm reading or doing is distressing & cheers me up a bit instead. So, I do think about & concentrate on the music too.

Of course you're not the least musical person here. You just love to fully concentrate on the music which is a good thing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I even listen to music while I’m listening to other music. I’ll have the leaky headphones under the bulky ones. Works especially well if you can harmonise the two types of music.

For instance, a Mozart piano concerto on the bulky headphones but Bob Dylan leaking underneath yelling “How Does It Feel?”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tented and Horsa

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Whenever I think of Wagner, that helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now always pops up :)
I learned a few months ago that when Coppola was making Apocalypse Now, some people tried to talk him out of using that music because at the time it was already associated with some other movie (I can’t remember which — of course). Coppola went with it, anyway, thinking his movie would be the more memorable one. It worked!

Reactions: britbox and shawnbm