• I'm a SINNER (wo)man

• I still believe (in AUGER-ALIASSIME)

• OTHER (list below)

• Undecided - still in courting/dating phase

Results are only viewable after voting.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
(And for no reason that makes any sense, I like Kyrgios, in spite of his poor behavior. But you DID acknowledge that there's no real sense in all of this.)
Nice addition, Moxie. Re: this comment on Kyrgios, I wonder if people (including yourself) would feel differently if he had put his full talent to use, and been one of the big guns over the last half decade...he might be less likable. He's been more of a carnival act, like Monfils. Really fun to watch, but less so as a serious threat in a Slam or as a force on tour.
You note that Medvedev is a bit long-in-the-tooth to be included. Well, no one has to pick a favorite because they're likely to have the best career, right? They just have to like them. @Front likes Medvedev and has been championing him for some time. Maybe he's Front's new favorite, now that Roger has retired.
This brings up a good point: maybe we'll collectively be less focused on the very best guys, because (presumably) there will be more of a gradual curve from the very top into the second tier. Of course that's assuming that Alcaraz only becomes garden variety great, or even Sampras great...not Big Three great. Who knows, at this point.

On a side note, one nice thing is that the old three "factions" are starting to soften and break up. First, Roger retiring, and soon enough the other two. Maybe it is a brief window in which there is less "warring" and more shared consideration - even commiseration, as we say goodbye to our long-standing favorites.

Of course, inevitably, there will an Alcaraz Clan and a Rune Cabal, and a smaller Sinner Sect and Felix Posse, but for now (or soonish) there's a chance to be less at each other's throats....at least about the tennis on the field...I'm sure, as you've said, that the Fedalkovic Wars will continue, to some degree, for years to come.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice addition, Moxie. Re: this comment on Kyrgios, I wonder if people (including yourself) would feel differently if he had put his full talent to use, and been one of the big guns over the last half decade...he might be less likable. He's been more of a carnival act, like Monfils. Really fun to watch, but less so as a serious threat in a Slam or as a force on tour.
Thanks! Basically you're asking if I would like Kyrgios (and Monfils) less if they'd done better. To the extent that I can project that, I would say I think I would still really champion both. And do remember here, you are conflating 2 things: one is fandom, and another is serious threat on tour. They don't have to be the same thing. Think of our old buddy, Cali. He was hopelessly devoted to Nalbandian, even though the man was one of the great underachievers of the Open Era. Now THAT is fandom. #respect. As to Kyrgios, I don't know if he'd proved a big Rafa-killer if I'd feel the same, but I DO like his rebel streak, his stance on the pandemic, and calling some folks out on it. (That's me, and surely not you.) I appreciate him being open about his mental health and substance abuse issues. I also think he's cheeky and funny. And talented. That's the way he hits me.
This brings up a good point: maybe we'll collectively be less focused on the very best guys, because (presumably) there will be more of a gradual curve from the very top into the second tier. Of course that's assuming that Alcaraz only becomes garden variety great, or even Sampras great...not Big Three great. Who knows, at this point.
Again I will say: Just because we take on a new favorite doesn't have to be because we think they will be the Next Big Thing. Those are 2 different questions. Who do I think will be the next great men's player, and who do I think will be my next favorite player ARE, rather, 2 different questions, or can be.
On a side note, one nice thing is that the old three "factions" are starting to soften and break up. First, Roger retiring, and soon enough the other two. Maybe it is a brief window in which there is less "warring" and more shared consideration - even commiseration, as we say goodbye to our long-standing favorites.

Of course, inevitably, there will an Alcaraz Clan and a Rune Cabal, and a smaller Sinner Sect and Felix Posse, but for now (or soonish) there's a chance to be less at each other's throats....at least about the tennis on the field...I'm sure, as you've said, that the Fedalkovic Wars will continue, to some degree, for years to come.
I totally agree that the hard factions are softening. Myself, I softened towards Roger as he got older. When he felt less of a threat, and he, himself got a bit more humble with age, I could appreciate his game, and realize that I liked him a lot. Yes, I do believe that the Fedalovic Wars will continue for some time, but the factions will blur when we find ourselves in the same camp with the next guy. That will be the funny part. Even now, we find ourselves agreeing on young players, where we were in the past opposite camps on the Big 3. It will be interesting to see where we start to fall behind them, as time goes on, and Nadal and Djokovic finally quit.

Reactions: El Dude

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ElDude , it’s little Holger, dont be dissuaded by the jealous masses of the Angelic Danish warrior.

Raise your Viking sword !

0F1EBE44-836F-4D53-9F07-BD7FE62C4A12.gif

• Haha
Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ElDude , it’s little Holger, dont be dissuaded by the jealous masses of the Angelic Danish warrior.

Raise your Viking sword !

View attachment 7879
I was waiting the Nordic elephant in the room (fan) to raise its head. I still don't know if you're serious or taking the piss. I guess we'll find out eventually. #GOT

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was waiting the Nordic elephant in the room (fan) to raise its head. I still don't know if you're serious or taking the piss. I guess we'll find out eventually. #GOT
Moxie, i do actually like Holger’s moxie. He’s fiesty and raw but even in his last few match losses he’s throwing everything out there on the court.

That cramping in Acapulco was not pretty to see, but the kid did.not.give.up. I get the sense the kid genuinely hates to lose.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie, i do actually like Holger’s moxie. He’s fiesty and raw but even in his last few match losses he’s throwing everything out there on the court.

That cramping in Acapulco was not pretty to see, but the kid did.not.give.up. I get the sense the kid genuinely hates to lose.
I am definitely giving him extra credit for hanging in there in the Acapulco final. It's was final, and you have to see it out, which he did. He was clearly suffering. And while his game doesn't sing to my soul, he's talented and fierce. Fearless and fearsome. I'm willing to hope he turns out to be the real deal. Just not sure yet if I can put both of my arms around him.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am definitely giving him extra credit for hanging in there in the Acapulco final. It's was final, and you have to see it out, which he did. He was clearly suffering. And while his game doesn't sing to my soul, he's talented and fierce. Fearless and fearsome. I'm willing to hope he turns out to be the real deal. Just not sure yet if I can put both of my arms around him.
He’s a Danish teddy bear, wrap your arms around him, i promise he won’t bite! (too hard).

As a bonus here he is with Carlitos playing doubles as juniors ….

• Love
Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As we say here in the south of Brazil "Não tá morto quem peleia". (You're ain't dead if you're fighting).
Well, Thiem has had a pretty good run - I hope he can come back. In my various systems, he comes out below guys like Michael Stich, Juan Martin Del Potro and Daniil Medvedev, but just ahead of guys like Petr Korda and Richard Krajicek. Meaning, he's not among the very best of the "one-Slam wonder" (like Stich and Delpo...Daniil too, but he has a good chance of winning more), but he's on the upper end of the middle of the pack (and way ahead of guys like Gaudio, Johansson, etc). Thiem was a very good player from 2016-20 or so, with 2019-20 being especially good.

As for Lajovic, I remember the name from a few years ago...didn't he have a moment where it seemed he might be a late-blooming Lost Genner?

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I am hoping Fritz can go as high as possible in the rankings, and Tommy Paul actually utilizes his natural ability and be more than just top 20 (no small feat) and make his way into the top 10. I mention these two only because they have both looked promising for a number of years, it just seems time one of them wins a GS event. There are many Americans in the top 100 to cheer for (yes I realize I am in the minority here but what can I say?) but I think the two I mentioned are the most gifted and in the case of Fritz, really work hard on their game. Tiafoe has incredible potential, I just wonder after watching him lose to Ruusuvori today if he has decided to really train. I hear commentators mention he hasn't reached his full potential because he doesn't put in the training time, not sure what to believe.

Sure, Rune and Sinner, and of course Carlos would be the next group to win the majority of majors in the next several years, let's hope they can all manage to stay healthy.

Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am hoping Fritz can go as high as possible in the rankings, and Tommy Paul actually utilizes his natural ability and be more than just top 20 (no small feat) and make his way into the top 10. I mention these two only because they have both looked promising for a number of years, it just seems time one of them wins a GS event. There are many Americans in the top 100 to cheer for (yes I realize I am in the minority here but what can I say?) but I think the two I mentioned are the most gifted and in the case of Fritz, really work hard on their game. Tiafoe has incredible potential, I just wonder after watching him lose to Ruusuvori today if he has decided to really train. I hear commentators mention he hasn't reached his full potential because he doesn't put in the training time, not sure what to believe.

Sure, Rune and Sinner, and of course Carlos would be the next group to win the majority of majors in the next several years, let's hope they can all manage to stay healthy.
Hi Ellentonboy!
Glad to see you posting, don't forget youngster American Ben Shelton, I became a fan at the AO this year, of course there are things in his game he needs to improve, though his lefty serve and fhand are standouts already, Ben is on my 'youngster's list to watch'

Reactions: Ellentonboy

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
In my various systems, he comes out below guys like Michael Stich, Juan Martin Del Potro and Daniil Medvedev, but just ahead of guys like Petr Korda and Richard Krajicek.

I think he still has quite more in him. If it wasn't for the injury, this would be true already (same can be said of.others, course).

Apart from the results, what made me sure he was out of the curve was a series of finals and important matches he had with Nadal on clay. He lost some, won some, but them all were with an absurdly high level of quality *and* intensity, non stop. Most of the names quoted above could not even dream of doing that.

As for Lajovic, he never made headlines. Overall he is a decent top 50, his right on average physical skills will never let him go much better than top 20 (where he stood for a while).

But his shots, from both wings, are just marvelous to watch. And a very beautiful, even if excessive at times, point construction. Also, I really like his attitude. He competes, but with dignity. No shouts, almost invisible fist pumps, respect and gracefulnes to adversaries. In other words, I want to be just like him when I grow up...

Reactions: El Dude and Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think he still has quite more in him. If it wasn't for the injury, this would be true already (same can be said of.others, course).

Apart from the results, what made me sure he was out of the curve was a series of finals and important matches he had with Nadal on clay. He lost some, won some, but them all were with an absurdly high level of quality *and* intensity, non stop. Most of the names quoted above could not even dream of doing that.

As for Lajovic, he never made headlines. Overall he is a decent top 50, his right on average physical skills will never let him go much better than top 20 (where he stood for a while).

But his shots, from both wings, are just marvelous to watch. And a very beautiful, even if excessive at times, point construction. Also, I really like his attitude. He competes, but with dignity. No shouts, almost invisible fist pumps, respect and gracefulnes to adversaries. In other words, I want to be just like him when I grow up...
I just looked up Lajovic's record, and his most notable performance - and probably what I'm remembering - is reaching the Monte Carlo final in 2019. that's the one that Fognini won (somewhat improbably). Lajovic beat Goffin, Thiem, and Medvedev on route, but must have been blinded by Fabio's good looks.

I hope Thiem comes back, but he's no spring chicken anymore. That said, he's "only" 29 (30 in September), which in today's era is more like 26-27 of 30 years ago...so he might spring back for a bit. But I do think it gets harder, as he reach age 30 or so. His Elo has been on a two-year downward trajectory, so I'd be concerned.