• Medvedev

• Kachanov

• Fognini

• Someone else -- name it

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Ok, brave keyboard warriors, fueled by the discussion on the Chicago thread, who do you think will be next #1, apart from Fedalovic? Not a major winner, not a great player, plain and simple #1, even if for a week.

My vote is Thiem.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal will take back the no.1 spot after Djokovic... Then the next no.1 after him will be Auger Aliassime in about 2 years...

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Additional info, I inserted players currently in the top 10. If you want to vote for someone else, name it. I also put the names accordingly to the ranking order. I wanted to include FAA, Wawrinka, Cilic, del Potro and Kyrgios, but that would be completely arbitrary. 10 top is also arbitrary but there is at least a logic to it.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
LOL who cares? But if you're keen to know it's probably that ugly ziraffe

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
LOL who cares? But if you're keen to know it's probably that ugly ziraffe
Based on the few words you started your message, you will vanish off this board once Fedexpress retired.
And probably you will not be the only one one...
But I want to reply to your statement though, I sure hope not Zverev.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions
It will probably be Tsitsipas, but I voted for De Minaur. I feel that if there is a period between eras like there was between Sampras and Federer, the advantage goes to someone who can consistently win a lot of matches. It was Hewitt during that time. I feel that De Minaur could fit this role in two years. However, I may be being way too optimistic about his chances.

Reactions: mrzz

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It will probably be Tsitsipas, but I voted for De Minaur. I feel that if there is a period between eras like there was between Sampras and Federer, the advantage goes to someone who can consistently win a lot of matches. It was Hewitt during that time. I feel that De Minaur could fit this role in two years. However, I may be being way too optimistic about his chances.
It would add a lot of credibility to your prognosis if De Minaur would take out Rafa this week in Montreal :)

Reactions: mrzz

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm going with Medvedev. Moves very well for a tall player and is pretty consistent. Narrowly lost to Kyrgios in the Citi Open. Very fast for a tall guy and moves well like I said. Beat Djokovic at Monte Carlo and gave him a very hard time for 2 sets at the AO this year but unfortunately ended up a bit out of stamina last 2 sets.

Last edited:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It would add a lot of credibility to your prognosis if De Minaur would take out Rafa this week in Montreal :)

He has to beat Dan Evans first which isn't a given. Hoping it's Evans v Nadal but I likely won't get to see it anyway due to the time it'll be on.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I too vote for FAA.

But, I pray that it is not RBA.
Bautista Agut? No chance in hell.
He is over 30 and have yet to break into the top 10.
No matter how much later the players are peaking at, one who was unable to get into the top 10 by that age does not have a prayer for top #1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
No matter how much later the players are peaking at, one who was unable to get into the top 10 by age does not have a prayer for top #1.

Thanks, I can sleep at peace now.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Based on the few words you started your message, you will vanish off this board once Fedexpress retired.
And probably you will not be the only one one...
But I want to reply to your statement though, I sure hope not Zverev.

I think Ziraffe is most likely to take it because he has a solid ground game and noone outside the big 3 have the tools to expose him, except Thiem on clay maybe.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Ok, brave keyboard warriors, fueled by the discussion on the Chicago thread, who do you think will be next #1, apart from Fedalovic? Not a major winner, not a great player, plain and simple #1, even if for a week.

My vote is Thiem.

I agree. Based on age, results, etc., I think Thiem will be the next No. 1.

Tsitsipas or FAA might eventually get to No. 1, but not next.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Thiem, Zverev, and Tsitsipas could all see shortish stints at #1 before FAA takes over in a couple years.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No matter how much later the players are peaking at, one who was unable to get into the top 10 by that age does not have a prayer for top #1.
didn't think we need a full blooded explanation on why Agut won't be #1. meanwhile I can assure you that Baghdatis won't be #1.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lot of love for Thiem on this poll. I'm not buying it. I like watching him but putting together a competent year on various surfaces?

My money would be on Stefanos or Sascha... with the obvious disclaimer that Sascha needs to start performing in slams. Still, this all might take some time, as I don't see the #1 on the horizon for any of the next cast of characters for at least a couple of years. One of these guys needs to win a major to harbour a shot.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
One of these guys needs to win a major to harbour a shot.

100% agreement here. That's basically why my money's on Thiem. I agree he needs to step up on other surfaces, but winning IW is a step on that direction... (as a bagel against Nadal at USO last year was as well). Long way to go still, sure.