Where Will Serena tie Steffi?

Where Will Serena Tie Steffi?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena is one slam away from tying Steffi's 22. Where will she do it?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Half thinking she won't but it's a tough one to call.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I honestly think her best shot for a low key slam win is at RG. Serena has won 2 of the last 3 RG, and it is the slam where people expect her to win, but they aren't surprised if she doesn't. I also think it is the slam where many of her potential deadly foes like Kvitova and Azarenka usually don't go far. I think everyone pencils her in at Wimbledon and the US Open which I think puts the pressure there rather than at RG.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I think NY, but I hope I am wrong and she ties Court there. If she meets a good drop shotter in Paris, she is done because she still has no volley. I am picking Petra for Wimby. As long as Vika does not have a reliable serve at USO, Serena can get number 22. I think this means she loses the top ranking unless Aga and Kerber continue to help by losing early.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Serena has more than enough motivation. Perhaps keeping the number 1 ranking will spur her on as she had held on to it for what has it been more than 3 years? I doubt she wants to lose it unless it is on her own terms and hard fought.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Time to bring this topic back. I don't think she will tie Graf let alone pass her in slam count but if she does it's most likely to be at Wimbledon where her serve is much harder to return.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think she goes into the Open looking to win, and she will be relaxed having finally won a slam again.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
With the notion of "swinging free", Serena should win the USO this year. After that we may see a speed bump again due to reaching 24. However, that 24 is not a significant record (why this is so, is elaborated in so many other places) and so the sppedbump will be of lesser magnitude (i.e, two slams or less). Most probably Serena will do #23 at USO and #24 at Wimby'17.

The question is when will she retire? Or a more appropriate question is, why should she retire when she is at the top of the game, virtually being a contender in every slam, just because she is old as per tennis standards?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think she will retire until she feels she can't win anymore or she has other things she wants to accomplish.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't think she will retire until she feels she can't win anymore or she has othe things she wants to accomplish.

such as studying business at Harvard? :puzzled

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Where do we think she earns the next one? I am banking on the US Open as she likes to make a point of triumphing where there was defeat before. If not there, I am sure Australia beckons for one more. If she does the US Open and gets 7 then she will be lead for titles at two of the slams for the Open Era.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think she has a good chance at the Open. We'll see how the draw shakes out, but right after the Olympics it could be another RG or Wimby where all the faves and top seeds went out early.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
well she equalled Steffi..at least her win at Wimbledon killed the chatter about number 22...she can relax and do her thing.Its good that she is not playing a lot of events after Wimbledon..she will go into the Open relaxed.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
well she equalled Steffi..at least her win at Wimbledon killed the chatter about number 22...she can relax and do her thing.Its good that she is not playing a lot of events after Wimbledon..she will go into the Open relaxed.

what is her schedule for the rest of the year or at least until USO?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe this thread should be rename "When will Serena break the tie with Steffi"