What are you reading NOW

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I've just finished Lady Susan & started Love & Friendship.

Horsa

Reactions
I read that years ago, and enjoyed it very much. I hope you do as well.
I haven't even got through chapter 1 yet but although I've learnt a bit about the history of science & science itself I'm finding it rather basic & patronising a lot of the time. An example is Stephen finds the need to explain what an ellipse is & I learnt that in 1st school.

Horsa

Reactions
I've just finished Lady Susan & will be finishing off my Jane Austen run with The Watsons. Then "What the Dickens!" I'll be going all Dickensian & going through the works of Charles Dickens. I don't want to start that until the beginning of December though because I'm planning to start with his Xmas books. I don't think "Xmas is a humbug" but think that you can start doing Xmas things too early.

Horsa

Reactions
I haven't even got through chapter 1 yet but although I've learnt a bit about the history of science & science itself I'm finding it rather basic & patronising a lot of the time. An example is Stephen finds the need to explain what an ellipse is & I learnt that in 1st school.
Now I've given it more of a chance it's interesting & not that patronising as it looked at 1st. I guess I judged too quickly. Mind you, the last couple of non-fiction books started with the more cerebrally challenging stuff then got simpler then more complex then went back to basics again.

Horsa

Reactions
Now I've given it more of a chance it's interesting & not that patronising as it looked at 1st. I guess I judged too quickly. Mind you, the last couple of non-fiction books started with the more cerebrally challenging stuff then got simpler then more complex then went back to basics again.
I'm really enjoying this book now.

Horsa

Reactions
Covid 19 the great reset & lockdown 2020

Horsa

Reactions
I've just finished reading the Watson's & I'm going to start reading Charles Dickens Xmas books tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying reading Lockdown 2020 which is a book of different poems in all different styles & pieces of prose written by all different people all over the world about their experience of Coronavirus & the lockdown. There are some very good poems & some that I don't think are as good. Apparently there are some haibuns in it. I don't even know what a haibun is except a type of writing so I wouldn't know. (You might like some of the poems I don't. Everyone has different tastes in poetry. Most of the time I like my poems to rhyme. I like Chaucer's style & Wordsworth's etc. I like conventional sonnets & non-conventional sonnets. I like conventional & non-conventional Limericks. I don't really care for blank or free verse.) Some of the poems were translated & the translator's name has proceeded the poems themselves. I took this into account when deciding what I thought about the poems as I thought some of the foreign poems might have been written with a rhyme to it but it might have lost its rhyme in translation.

I'm still enjoying Covid-19 the great reset & I'm really enjoying A brief history of time.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
I managed to get hold of a copy of 100 years of solitude that you recommended. I'm reading it at the moment & really enjoying it. Thank you very much. I thought I should have got the Spanish version & read that at 1st but I'm enjoying the English version.

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
The complete works of Robert Burns. I'm singing the songs when I get to them. My favourite is "O my luve is like a red, red rose".

Horsa

Reactions
A History of the World by Andrew Marr

Horsa

Reactions
I'm reading Ulysses as my fiction book at the moment & The American West by Dee Brown as my non-fiction book.

Horsa

Reactions
Hesiod's "Theogony"

I'm disappointed because it doesn't rhyme unless the rhyme got lost in translation which I'll never know because I'm too stupid to learn Greek. It's an interesting depiction of ancient Greek Gods & Goddesses especially when speaking about Pegasus written at the time.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I just recently learnt about an old book. It is called "Levels of the Game". The whole book is about a semifinal match (1968) between Arthur Ashe and Clark Graebner. The book is written by John Mcphee who is a professor at Princeton University. Here is amazon link for the book.

It seems to have very good review. I personally have not read it yet. But plan to do so soon.