What are you reading NOW

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
A few good threads about literature, and we naturally shift the focus to our favorites, but something that may feel not so fantastic or worth mentioning to one might as well be a gem to someone else, so here we can focus on our current readings, and therefore talk about something that we would "normally" skip.

Right now I am reading two books in parallel, Kurt Vonnegut's "TimeQuake" (original) and David Hume's "History of England" (translated).

Kurt Vonnegut is one of the most peculiar authorr I have ever read. He is really hard to define. Is a mix of science fiction, fantastic realism (but "fantastic" in a very unique and realistic way) and, I don't know, a mix of Camus and Twain regarding the "mood". Yes, precisely.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Right now, I am rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude. It’s as rewarding an experience as the first time.

I also just finished Ronan Farrow’s Catch and Kill, about his reporting on Harvey Weinstein. It’s incredible how much effort Weinstein put into covering up his past. It reads like a thriller, yet it’s nonfiction.

I should use this thread now to announce I’m reading War and Peace, in order to shame myself if I don’t finally read it!

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I'll give you the answer I give Mother when she's being nosey. A book. What do you think I'm reading?

;0)

Reactions: tented and mrzz

Horsa

Reactions
O.K. Guys. I just provided the sarcastic answer above to see what people would say. The proper answer is I'm reading a book on the flora & fauna of the British Isles & I'm also reading "The power of now" in between knitting a scarf for Xmas. Before then I was doing a lot of reading about archiving to help give a talk on archiving which I helped present in the middle of next month. I'm trying to get my T.B.R. list read & get through my recommendations as well as sort out my book-shelf.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Finished TimeQuake a while ago but could not post. The guy is brilliant. Beyond brilliant, but it is a subtle, complex reading. Surely not recommended for novice readers (not the case with folks here, I know).

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That sounds fascinating. How are you finding it? Does it tell you anything pre-existing books didn't? How good is it?

I just started reading it, so I’m not sure. I’ll come back later ...

Horsa

Reactions
I just started reading it, so I’m not sure. I’ll come back later ...
I hope you enjoy & look forward to seeing your little review of it. Thank you very much.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm reading "All the light we cannot see".

Horsa

Reactions
Oh, I read that...I really liked it. I'm reading "The Overstory" which I am loving.
I attended art appreciation class at work on Friday & was still drinking my tea when the book club came in so I sat through their session so I wouldn't disturb them & joined in the conversation when I could as they were talking about a book I'd never read but knew about some of the issues being discussed so joined in there. (They were also saying that the author didn't quite finish the book & only took up the upsetting parts of the story while leaving positive parts of the story hanging. I stated that he may have done that for a reason. He may be leaving that in case he wants to write a sequel afterwards.) Afterwards I got asked if I wanted to read the next book & join in. I said I'd give it a go but if it was too distressing I'd bring it back & they said it was O.K. & they'd see me at the next meeting. I'm on Pg. 60 & I'm finding some of it interesting & some touching. I'm glad you're enjoying your book.

Horsa

Reactions
A book on the flora & fauna of Africa

Horsa

Reactions
The cabin at the end of the world.