What are you reading NOW

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I finished "We" and it impressed me again, even more this time. I would write a longer post if I could, but I will sum it up with this: I do not think there is a single important idea in either Brave New World or 1984 that is not present and explored in "We". The Wikipedia entry of We have a very instructive passage:

"We (Russian: Мы, romanized: My) is a dystopian novel by Russian writer Yevgeny Zamyatin, written 1920–1921.[2] The novel was first published as an English translation by Gregory Zilboorg in 1924 by E. P. Dutton in New York. The novel describes a world of harmony and conformity within a united totalitarian state. George Orwell claimed that Aldous Huxley's 1931 Brave New World must be partly derived from We, but Huxley denied it. "

The pot calling the kettle black...

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
A book on Mdina which was the capital city of Malta in Roman times. It has the nick-name of "The Silent City" though it certainly wasn't silent when I went.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I've just found out book club starts back in a couple of weeks time so I'm starting to read "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells as it's going to be the B.O.T.M. I'm also re-reading "The Mill on the Floss" as there will be a discussion on that too. Other than that I've almost finished re-reading "Persuasion" & I'm still reading "The Age of the Horse" by Susanna Forrest as part of my research for my report on equine history. It was so unfair for my Manager to say I was to use all the resources I had except for my own head. I'd have had it done by now. It's been fascinating & I've learnt a lot but I already knew quite a lot about equine history. I didn't know the gory & depressing bits though which I'm learning about at the moment.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm reading both "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells & "The age of the horse" by Susanna Forrest at the moment.

I'm on that part of "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells where the Time Traveller describes his journey & in the land where he travelled to "Horses & dogs had become extinct". That really doesn't bear thinking about. I know that humankind has caused the extinction of the Takhi & Tarpan. I also know that since horses stopped being used for transportation & on farms, heavy working horses are endangered in some places & Przewalski's horse is endangered to the point that they're only alive in Mongolia under the care of scientists but a world without horses is almost impossible to imagine & bear. As is a world without dogs.

I was really enjoying The Time Machine before then.

I enjoyed reading "The age of the horse" until it brought up the upsetting subject of hippophagy. Thankfully I've now moved on & read about the 1st 4 Chinese Dynasties which is a lot better.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
@Kieran - what are you reading now? (Or lately.)

A group of us, such as @Chris Koziarz , @mrzz , @Federberg , @Horsa , @Moxie and myself, like to discuss what we’ve been reading, and you’re the perfect addition to these conversations.

Well, thanks to my very good friend, I spent lockdown bliss reading the Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall trilogy, which will surely be her masterpiece. Such a level of excellence everywhere in this book, the character of Cromwell being the gem. I missed these books hugely when I finished them, I missed visiting that world, and those people. I missed the way they were written.

I've also read, during lockdown and since, Eric Ambler's The Mask of Dimitrios, a classic spy thriller written in 1939, I think.

Rules of Civility, by Amor Towles. I remember recently you sent me an article about book prize winners or something, and his book, A Gentleman in Moscow caught my eye. I highly recommend that one too.

I'm currently reading Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetry, which I love. It has a deliciously misanthropic opening few pages. It's the first book of his I've read. Like you, I've seen the film The Name of the Rose, a potboiler of a thing, but never read it.

Speaking of potboilers, I've also read a few of them, some good, some not so.

Non-fiction, I'm reading Tom Holland's Dominion, which is subtitled The Making of the Western Mind, an erudite and semi-official riposte to professional atheists who pretend the west has developed its morality and ethics in a vacuum. Holland is my favourite writer of history - his Rubicon and Persian Fire are page-turners, with footnotes. He's a fabulous writer.

Richard Thomas, Why Dylan Matters, which is a good read, but at times, far-fetched. Or I should be more clear, he makes connections that aren't very clearly argued.

All of James Shapiro's Shakespeare books: Contested Will, about the authorship question, 1599, the years Shakespeare wrote Henry V, Julius Caesar, As You Like It, and Hamlet, and 1606, the year he wrote Macbeth, King Lear, and Antony and Cleopatra. These books are both history and literature reviews, very accessible and interesting. I read these around the time of the Hilary Mantel books, and they act as sequels of a sort, because they give us life in Elizabethan England, with strong echoes of the Mantel books, including court intrigue, the Irish rabble causing trouble abroad, and the ever present plagues.

Another book I read was Oscar Wilde's Plagiarism, the Triumph of Art over Ego, by Florina Tufesca, which ties in a little with the Shakespeare books, and the Dylan one. The stroy of how plagiarism changed during the Romantic period, and the artists ego asserted its rights. back in the day, Shakespeare wasn't the first to write Hamlet, and he based his King Lear on an older play, King Leir. Common practice, up until the 19th century. Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allen Poe were among the classicists who reacted against the restraints of being disallowed from referring to previous authors works, and so The Portrait of Dorian Gray contains elements of Doctor Faust, and so on. The Dylan connection being obvious: old Bob often takes old works and turns them into something bigger, greater in scope and deeper in meaning.

For his troubles, the less fortunate call him a plagiarist. Subversively, like Wilde and Poe, he takes time to make mischief with this new reputation...

Horsa

Reactions
Well, thanks to my very good friend, I spent lockdown bliss reading the Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall trilogy, which will surely be her masterpiece. Such a level of excellence everywhere in this book, the character of Cromwell being the gem. I missed these books hugely when I finished them, I missed visiting that world, and those people. I missed the way they were written.

I've also read, during lockdown and since, Eric Ambler's The Mask of Dimitrios, a classic spy thriller written in 1939, I think.

Rules of Civility, by Amor Towles. I remember recently you sent me an article about book prize winners or something, and his book, A Gentleman in Moscow caught my eye. I highly recommend that one too.

I'm currently reading Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetry, which I love. It has a deliciously misanthropic opening few pages. It's the first book of his I've read. Like you, I've seen the film The Name of the Rose, a potboiler of a thing, but never read it.

Speaking of potboilers, I've also read a few of them, some good, some not so.

Non-fiction, I'm reading Tom Holland's Dominion, which is subtitled The Making of the Western Mind, an erudite and semi-official riposte to professional atheists who pretend the west has developed its morality and ethics in a vacuum. Holland is my favourite writer of history - his Rubicon and Persian Fire are page-turners, with footnotes. He's a fabulous writer.

Richard Thomas, Why Dylan Matters, which is a good read, but at times, far-fetched. Or I should be more clear, he makes connections that aren't very clearly argued.

All of James Shapiro's Shakespeare books: Contested Will, about the authorship question, 1599, the years Shakespeare wrote Henry V, Julius Caesar, As You Like It, and Hamlet, and 1606, the year he wrote Macbeth, King Lear, and Antony and Cleopatra. These books are both history and literature reviews, very accessible and interesting. I read these around the time of the Hilary Mantel books, and they act as sequels of a sort, because they give us life in Elizabethan England, with strong echoes of the Mantel books, including court intrigue, the Irish rabble causing trouble abroad, and the ever present plagues.

Another book I read was Oscar Wilde's Plagiarism, the Triumph of Art over Ego, by Florina Tufesca, which ties in a little with the Shakespeare books, and the Dylan one. The stroy of how plagiarism changed during the Romantic period, and the artists ego asserted its rights. back in the day, Shakespeare wasn't the first to write Hamlet, and he based his King Lear on an older play, King Leir. Common practice, up until the 19th century. Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allen Poe were among the classicists who reacted against the restraints of being disallowed from referring to previous authors works, and so The Portrait of Dorian Gray contains elements of Doctor Faust, and so on. The Dylan connection being obvious: old Bob often takes old works and turns them into something bigger, greater in scope and deeper in meaning.

For his troubles, the less fortunate call him a plagiarist. Subversively, like Wilde and Poe, he takes time to make mischief with this new reputation...
Hi, I'm Ann. I'm very sorry for interrupting your conversation with Tented but I just wanted to say a few things. I hope you don't mind.

Wolf Hall & Bring up the bodies were recommended to me when I worked in the library. I was a bit too squeamish for them. I like some historical fiction though.

Thank you very much for the history book recommendation. I love history. My favourite historian is Neil Oliver but I've never read anything by the historian you mentioned. I work in the arts, crafts, history & music side of heritage preservation where I work with historians. They're lovely people. As part of my job, I archive artefacts, learn, do & teach old arts & crafts, teach children about life in the 1940's, do museum-floor work, plan & conduct 1920's & 1940's sing-alongs for 1920's & 1940's Days at work, help the historians teach people about Scottish history through songs by singing the songs, sing Burns songs for Burns night & write historical reports as well as working in the shop at work.

I like Bob Dylan too so that book sounds interesting.

I like some of Shakespeare's plays but prefer his sonnets. My favourite of his historical plays is Henry V though. I like Romeo & Juliet & I love his comedies. That book you're reading sounds fascinating.

That book on Oscar Wilde also sounds good. I like Oscar Wilde. I like The Portrait of Dorian Gray but prefer some of Oscar Wilde's plays such as The Importance of being Ernest & Lady Windermere's fan.

Now, I guess it's my turn to share what I've been reading & what I'm reading now. While in lockdown I've read The Mill on the Floss for the book-club at work, The Winter Orphan, most of the works of Jane Austen (I haven't read Lady Susan or Love & friendship & other early works of Jane Austen yet), The Jane Austen Book Club, Wuthering Heights & The Time Machine (also for Book Club at work) on the fictional side. I've had to do quilting & knitting to keep the practical skills up for work until they put quilting & knitting workshops back on at work. They brought back Art History classes at work. For the archiving side of my job I was set online training & research tasks. The big task they set me was to use all the resources I have except my own head to write a report on the evolution of the horse from eohippus to equus przewalskii & equus caballus & man's relationship with the horse through time. As part of that I've read The Age of the Horse by Susannah Forrest. I've now just got finishing touches to put to the 1st draft of the equine history report, then I've to put it in chronological order & re-write it. The non-fiction book I'm reading at the moment is a History of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver.

I'm very sorry for being a bit long-winded when interrupting your conversation. It's just that I'm a very verbose person.

• Love
Reactions: Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Now, I guess it's my turn to share what I've been reading & what I'm reading now. While in lockdown I've read The Mill on the Floss for the book-club at work, The Winter Orphan, most of the works of Jane Austen (I haven't read Lady Susan or Love & friendship & other early works of Jane Austen yet), The Jane Austen Book Club, Wuthering Heights & The Time Machine ...

A friend recently recommended The Time Machine. Did you like it? (No spoilers, though, please because I’m planning on reading it soon.)

As to the Mantel books, there’s no need to be squeamish. They’re the best historical fiction I’ve ever read; they’re not slasher movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi, I'm Ann. I'm very sorry for interrupting your conversation with Tented but I just wanted to say a few things. I hope you don't mind.

Wolf Hall & Bring up the bodies were recommended to me when I worked in the library. I was a bit too squeamish for them. I like some historical fiction though.

Thank you very much for the history book recommendation. I love history. My favourite historian is Neil Oliver but I've never read anything by the historian you mentioned. I work in the arts, crafts, history & music side of heritage preservation where I work with historians. They're lovely people. As part of my job, I archive artefacts, learn, do & teach old arts & crafts, teach children about life in the 1940's, do museum-floor work, plan & conduct 1920's & 1940's sing-alongs for 1920's & 1940's Days at work, help the historians teach people about Scottish history through songs by singing the songs, sing Burns songs for Burns night & write historical reports as well as working in the shop at work.

I like Bob Dylan too so that book sounds interesting.

I like some of Shakespeare's plays but prefer his sonnets. My favourite of his historical plays is Henry V though. I like Romeo & Juliet & I love his comedies. That book you're reading sounds fascinating.

That book on Oscar Wilde also sounds good. I like Oscar Wilde. I like The Portrait of Dorian Gray but prefer some of Oscar Wilde's plays such as The Importance of being Ernest & Lady Windermere's fan.

Hi Ann, nice to meet you! :)

The Wolf Hall books aren't too gory, but they're more like an intense study of character and history. I leaned so much about those times reading them, but also, the Machiavellian characters at court, most supremely, Cromwell. But there is cruelty involved, as you know from reading and studying history. The past can be quite messy. There's a lot of its opposites too, with people as ever rising above the brutality, some great humour, and of course, tremendous drama.

Like you, I love history, but you're definitely doing great work at it. I only read it. The Shakespeare books cover a huge amount of the politics and culture of the times, the circumstances humble playwrights faced while they hammered away at it, but also they give great insight into Shakespeare's works, which is helpful for a bloke like me who studied him in school, but never did well unless I had an excellent teacher.

The Dylan book is good, but I felt like the author, a professor of ancient history, was making too many tenuous links between Bob's songs and ancient writers. There are references there, no doubt about it, but comparing I Want You with Ovid love poems is a bit far-fetched if the only thing they have in common is that both Bob and Ovid "want you".

Now, I guess it's my turn to share what I've been reading & what I'm reading now. While in lockdown I've read The Mill on the Floss for the book-club at work, The Winter Orphan, most of the works of Jane Austen (I haven't read Lady Susan or Love & friendship & other early works of Jane Austen yet), The Jane Austen Book Club, Wuthering Heights & The Time Machine (also for Book Club at work) on the fictional side. I've had to do quilting & knitting to keep the practical skills up for work until they put quilting & knitting workshops back on at work. They brought back Art History classes at work. For the archiving side of my job I was set online training & research tasks. The big task they set me was to use all the resources I have except my own head to write a report on the evolution of the horse from eohippus to equus przewalskii & equus caballus & man's relationship with the horse through time. As part of that I've read The Age of the Horse by Susannah Forrest. I've now just got finishing touches to put to the 1st draft of the equine history report, then I've to put it in chronological order & re-write it. The non-fiction book I'm reading at the moment is a History of Ancient Britain by Neil Oliver.

I'm very sorry for being a bit long-winded when interrupting your conversation. It's just that I'm a very verbose person.

That's fairly incredible! Looking at it, I dunno when you find time to read, but you choose well! The only one I've read of them is The Time Machine, whih struck me as being what good sci-fi ought to be, which is weird and strange and take us away from the familiar into some place completely alien, while still also introducing us to ourselves!

I know I'll read Jane Austen someday, but I haven't gotten around to her yet. I see your interest in the horses. There's a couple of retired race horse beauties next door to me, they're such beautiful animals. I'm sure you've read Gulliver's Travels and seen the high-up place they occupy in that world. I've never been on one! My nephew is a horse trainer in Madrid, some day maybe, post Covid, I'll get lessons from Mikey.

I have to admit, the lockdown was a good time for reading! I forgot to mention that I also read Robert Harris The Second Sleep, which is a medieval yarn with a twist, and both House of the Spirits and Ines of my Soul, by Isabel Allende, which I loved.

Great to meet you, Ann! :D

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
A friend recently recommended The Time Machine. Did you like it? (No spoilers, though, please because I’m planning on reading it soon.)

As to the Mantel books, there’s no need to be squeamish. They’re the best historical fiction I’ve ever read; they’re not slasher movies.
I really enjoyed The Time Machine. It's the 1st Sci-fi I ever read or had the chance to read & I loved it. I'm thinking about what to read next. The Mind at the End of it's Tether sounds good. I'd seen Kipps & the History of Mr. Polly before & didn't realise they were based on H.G. Wells books. I might have to get hold of them.

I might give them another go but they made me feel sick to the stomach when I read them last time. I like historical fiction too but them & Phillipa Gregory's books are too gory for me or were when I tried reading them last time.

Horsa

Reactions
Hi Ann, nice to meet you! :)

The Wolf Hall books aren't too gory, but they're more like an intense study of character and history. I leaned so much about those times reading them, but also, the Machiavellian characters at court, most supremely, Cromwell. But there is cruelty involved, as you know from reading and studying history. The past can be quite messy. There's a lot of its opposites too, with people as ever rising above the brutality, some great humour, and of course, tremendous drama.

Like you, I love history, but you're definitely doing great work at it. I only read it. The Shakespeare books cover a huge amount of the politics and culture of the times, the circumstances humble playwrights faced while they hammered away at it, but also they give great insight into Shakespeare's works, which is helpful for a bloke like me who studied him in school, but never did well unless I had an excellent teacher.

The Dylan book is good, but I felt like the author, a professor of ancient history, was making too many tenuous links between Bob's songs and ancient writers. There are references there, no doubt about it, but comparing I Want You with Ovid love poems is a bit far-fetched if the only thing they have in common is that both Bob and Ovid "want you".

That's fairly incredible! Looking at it, I dunno when you find time to read, but you choose well! The only one I've read of them is The Time Machine, whih struck me as being what good sci-fi ought to be, which is weird and strange and take us away from the familiar into some place completely alien, while still also introducing us to ourselves!

I know I'll read Jane Austen someday, but I haven't gotten around to her yet. I see your interest in the horses. There's a couple of retired race horse beauties next door to me, they're such beautiful animals. I'm sure you've read Gulliver's Travels and seen the high-up place they occupy in that world. I've never been on one! My nephew is a horse trainer in Madrid, some day maybe, post Covid, I'll get lessons from Mikey.

I have to admit, the lockdown was a good time for reading! I forgot to mention that I also read Robert Harris The Second Sleep, which is a medieval yarn with a twist, and both House of the Spirits and Ines of my Soul, by Isabel Allende, which I loved.

Great to meet you, Ann! :D
Hi Kieran! It's nice to meet you too. The Wolf Hall books are too gory for me or at least they were last time I tried to read them. They left me feeling sick to the stomach. I know about Henry VIII & that there were a lot of gory details in history. I'm more into Soc. & economic history, the history of medicine & equine history than the history of war, crime & punishment (though I know equine history includes hippophagy, bull-fighting & war-horses which I found distressing but kept going as I had to. The book mentioned Arabic, Chinese & Mongolian music so I stopped myself from getting too upset by researching these genres of music to listen to while I was reading & making research notes).

I only applied to do, learn & teach old arts & crafts & work in the shop. I answered an interview question on why I thought heritage preservation was important & got given the archiving & historic report-writing job. I got caught singing while archiving & my Manager's gave me the musical part of my job. I love it. It's fun & fascinating but can be hard work though rewarding. I have had marbling, pottery, ceramic & glass-painting workshops at work & are expected to keep these skills going which means my job can be relaxing too. There's a choir at work too which I'm in. I watch history programmes too. My favourite T.V. historian is Neil Oliver.

That book on Shakespeare sounds very good. I loved Shakespeare. I found it easy to get into the language. The 1st Shakespeare play I read was Henry V which I got by mistake in Middle School thinking it was going to be a history book. I loved it. The 1st Shakespeare play I studied was Romeo & Juliet which I loved. I've also been Juliet in School plays.

They both sound like good books.

My favourite Bob Dylan songs are "Blowing in the wind" & "The times they are a-changing". I learnt to sing them in Middle School, listened to him singing them, sung along with him & I've loved him since.

I don't watch much T.V. so use the time I'd spend watching T.V. doing something else instead. Thank you very much. I think The Jane Austen Book club is very good. I read Jane Austen many times before including before I read the Jane Austen Book club. They can all be read stand-alone but I like to read them together reading the modern book 1st then you can read alongside the characters + they ask questions at the back. I even watch the T.V. or film adaptations when they're mentioned to see things the way of the characters in the modern book. The Age of the horse is very informative, it gets gory in places but as it's non-fiction I force myself to finish it & it changed the way I thought about hippophagy. It was fascinating until it got to the parts on hippophagy, war-horses & bull-fighting. (I'm glad I took research notes as I'll be keeping the most interesting ones even when I've finished writing my equine history report.) I prefer my history books to be in chronological order though. History books that aren't in chronological order normally get me re-writing them so they are in chronological order. I loved the Time Machine. It was the 1st sci-fi I ever read. I like Wuthering Heights but it's rather dark & I prefer Emily Bronte's poems. (I started reading Wuthering Heights on Yorkshire Day as it's more Yorkshire than most books.)

I've always loved horses since I was a little girl. We didn't learn about the constitution of the horse in science. The only subject at school which spoke about horses was history. That's what got me into history in the 1st place. It was my favourite subject for many years until I started learning French & found it very easy then French took over with history a close 2nd. I have read Gulliver's Travels. Those horses sound lovely. I've never learnt to ride horses either. I used to pet other people's & feed them apples & carrots as a child. I'd have loved to. Your nephew is a lucky guy. I hope you get lessons off him after the virus.

During lockdown I've also woven a table-mat, made a couple of hats, knitted a scarf & me & Mother have been making a patch-work quilt. We want it single-bed size, it's now cot blanket size. I've also written a few poems during lockdown. Those books sound good. :0)

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
My favourite Bob Dylan songs are "Blowing in the wind" & "The times they are a-changing". I learnt to sing them in Middle School, listened to him singing them, sung along with him & I've loved him since.

His excellent new record, Rough and Rowdy Ways, might have fitted much better in the book I read, by Richard Thomas: this record has so many references to the ancient world, it's fairly much a lyrical departure. Much closer links to Ovid than the song, "I Want You..." :)

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
His excellent new record, Rough and Rowdy Ways, might have fitted much better in the book I read, by Richard Thomas: this record has so many references to the ancient world, it's fairly much a lyrical departure. Much closer links to Ovid than the song, "I Want You..." :)
I haven't heard that record. I guess I'll have to get hold of both the record & the book before deciding what I really think. :0)

The only songs I know that mention history or historic events are trad. Scots/Irish which I love, Are you going to Scarborough Fair?, Tom Dooley,, Walk like an Egyptian & What a wonderful world by Sam Cooke. Oops! I'd better behave or else Mrzz. will start lecturing me &/ I'll be moved to music. I don't like upsetting Mrzz. Talking about Mrzz, I haven't seen him around in a while. I miss him & hope he's o.k.

To bring the topic back to music I've got a really good book on Trad. Scottish songs. I'll have to re-read it & have a good song.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
A group of us, such as @Chris Koziarz , @mrzz , @Federberg , @Horsa , @Moxie and myself, like to discuss what we’ve been reading.
We do, indeed. I wonder, if I may ask you the question now. What have you been reading recently? Anything good?

Talking about Chris & Mrzz, I haven't seen them around in a while & I miss them. I hope they're o.k. They have very demanding jobs though so they're probably very busy & need a break especially as they're not as spontaneous as me.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some nice suggestions from everyone up there, and a very enticing list from Kieran. I wanted to say this about The Name of the Rose, since you say that neither of you, @Kieran @tented has read it. It's a book about books and about libraries, with loads of esoterica woven in. The film extracted the plot of the central murder mystery and left out all of the "good stuff" for us readers. I don't know how you'd have made a film about it otherwise, but the book is full of yummy things for bookish types. The book was a huge best-seller, and it's almost hard to imagine why. I suspect people bought it and didn't read it, or skipped the chapters full of weird and ancient texts and semiotic clues. I do recommend it.

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
Some nice suggestions from everyone up there, and a very enticing list from Kieran. I wanted to say this about The Name of the Rose, since you say that neither of you, @Kieran @tented has read it. It's a book about books and about libraries, with loads of esoterica woven in. The film extracted the plot of the central murder mystery and left out all of the "good stuff" for us readers. I don't know how you'd have made a film about it otherwise, but the book is full of yummy things for bookish types. The book was a huge best-seller, and it's almost hard to imagine why. I suspect people bought it and didn't read it, or skipped the chapters full of weird and ancient texts and semiotic clues. I do recommend it.
Thank you very much, Moxie. I hadn't even seen the film. Now you've sold the book to me. Lol. Not in that way. ;0) I guess that's another book I need to get hold of & find time to read. :0)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm really enjoying The Prague Cemetery so I'll try that one next, thanks sister! :)

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I've just finished reading "A history of ancient Britain" by Neil Oliver which was fascinating & very well-written. (I am biased as I absolutely love Neil Oliver as both a T.V. Presenter & a writer.) I'm now reading "A history of Britain, At the edge of the world? 3500 B.C.- 1603 A.D.

Horsa

Reactions
I've just finished "The Jane Austen Book Club" & I've started "Lady Susan".