US OPEN, Flushing Meadows, NY, USA, GRAND SLAM (Men)

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't have huge affection for Stan, though I have respect for his (occasional) game. Also, he is the most likely to beat Novak, who, let's not put too fine a point on it, barely deserves the title. This is the closest we've come to the old days, when the defending champ only had to play the final. (That might have been Wimbledon only?) Do I sound crabby? I will be, if Wawrinka loses due to being more tired than Djokovic.

I thought to deserve a title it is enough to win the final.

As for wawrinka being tired, I just don't remember any Swiss player tired so I don't believe he will be tired in the final this time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought to deserve a title it is enough to win the final.

As for wawrinka being tired, I just don't remember any Swiss player tired so I don't believe he will be tired in the final this time.
We can both do the math on who's had the most hours on court over the past 2 weeks. And you know as well as I do that any "extenuating circumstances" will get raked over the virtual coals forever. You, yourself, are not above holding a grudge when a certain Serbian player loses to what you would consider "extenuating circumstances." Anyway, the final hasn't been played, so let's just see how it goes, eh?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Too bad for Kei, I guess he came a little short on power in the end. Wawrinka is the perfect example that a coach matters. Third final since Norman, in three different slams. Quite a late bloomer, although he always had the potential of course.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
We can both do the math on who's had the most hours on court over the past 2 weeks. And you know as well as I do that any "extenuating circumstances" will get raked over the virtual coals forever. You, yourself, are not above holding a grudge when a certain Serbian player loses to what you would consider "extenuating circumstances." Anyway, the final hasn't been played, so let's just see how it goes, eh?
But someone who gets to final stages of practically every tournament he plays doesn't deserve to win the slam comparing to someone who does that once every blue moon? I don't think so.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ridiculous Monfils, he acted like an amateur...I didn't like his attitude at all

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
ridiculous Monfils, he acted like an amateur...I didn't like his attitude at all

I wouldn't pay to see Monfils for all the tea in China. I want to see a competitive match not someone with such a blasé attitude. I could never be his fan.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Monfils is widely misunderstood, I think, but if you wouldn't see him play, you'd almost certainly miss a really entertaining match. And he's an amazing athlete.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Monfils is widely misunderstood, I think, but if you wouldn't see him play, you'd almost certainly miss a really entertaining match. And he's an amazing athlete.

I don't share your opinion. If I go to see a NBA game I want to see people competing to the max. If I want to go and see the Harlem Globetrotters then I expect trick shots and tomfoolery; not both in the same game. My money is important to me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't share your opinion. If I go to see a NBA game I want to see people competing to the max. If I want to go and see the Harlem Globetrotters then I expect trick shots and tomfoolery; not both in the same game. My money is important to me.
For sure it's a matter of taste, and opinions do vary on Gael, to say the least. I like him.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
For sure it's a matter of taste, and opinions do vary on Gael, to say the least. I like him.

I like him as a person too. I think he's very colorful and talented. I just don't like people wasting my time. I watched until 5-0 and switched to Judge Judy. This was his first chance at the USO final and your strategy is to play bad against the best player in the world? No.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reactions: Carol and Moxie

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares win the Doubles

Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares are hitting their stride at the perfect time, streaking to the US Open doubles crown on Saturday at Flushing Meadows. The fourth seeds downed Spaniards Pablo Carreno Busta and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-2, 6-3

Full Story: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/murray-soares-win-2016-us-open-doubles-title

So happy for Jamie. He doesn't have to be totally in Andy's shadow. He's making a name for himself. Kudos to him and Bruno.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
To your point, that's exactly it. A men's Major is a marathon, not a sprint. That's the point of best-of-5. Of course, you can only deal with the matches and opponents in front of you, but barely playing a few matches is hardly the way a Major is expected to go, especially for a guy who was wounded and looked barely able to get out of his next round, a week and a half ago. If he wins, he wins, but let's just say that he'll have been one lucky SOB. Who won't think that? It's no shame for even a fan to recognize that he's been lucky. Luck happens, too.

Lol. A Nadal fan who sees her guy's Slam lead coming to an end. Just because a player gets a lucky break in no way makes him undeserving of a title, if he wins it.

Reactions: Billie and Mary

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lol. A Nadal fan who sees her guy's Slam lead coming to an end. Just because a player gets a lucky break in no way makes him undeserving of a title, if he wins it.
What end? Nadal will do well, better than you would wish been a Roger's fan :yes::good::-)2

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

If, that's a big if. I think Moxie just can't help herself. ;-):

How about if Nole wins, we agree to put an asterisk to this title and mention it as half a slam? If he loses, then all is good with the universe!:yes: