US Open Day 2: Tuesday, August 26

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Click here for Day 2 Order of Play

(All matches, on all courts, are listed in order to give you a feel for when everything will begin and end.)

Please use this thread to discuss Day 2 action.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkyUSGmU6Q[/video]

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Can't wait for Tomic-Brown. If the former decides to show up and put some effort in, it could be a classy exhibition of shot-making.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Two US Men played on day 1 and both lost (including Young who was showing some
signs of life recently).

Now US Men contingent reduced to 10.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Can't wait for Tomic-Brown. If the former decides to show up and put some effort in, it could be a classy exhibition of shot-making.

the winner faces ferrer in the next round and so might get ashe for that match as ferrer
did not get ashe for his 1st round match.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Two US Men played on day 1 and both lost (including Young who was showing some
signs of life recently).

Now US Men contingent reduced to 10.

That was one poor result for DY. What a waste of a summer.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Rosol and young Borna Coric are warming up, but it's not on a show court. I doubt Coric will be able to win this one just yet. Especially since apparently Rosol is seeded?! Didn't know that. Guess he's been playing pretty well. But, hopefully Coric can push Rosol. Maybe take a set and just show that he's one of the top young talents out there.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
Rosol and young Borna Coric are warming up, but it's not on a show court. I doubt Coric will be able to win this one just yet. Especially since apparently Rosol is seeded?! Didn't know that. Guess he's been playing pretty well. But, hopefully Coric can push Rosol. Maybe take a set and just show that he's one of the top young talents out there.

Rosol will probably have too much power..but Coric may get lucky if Rosol plays like his average doltish self.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:

Yeah, Rosol is at a career high of world number 27. He's doing very well right now.

Edit: make that world number 26 per live rankings.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Rubin goes down 6-0 in the third. Does look like he's got some serious pace on his shots at times. Definitely some talent. May have a future... but may not. He seems incredibly small to me. And while small men can certainly survive and one or two thrive, the sport just seems to be getting bigger. Smaller men will struggle more as I the years go on I think. I think that's one of the reasons Goffin has struggled so much, though he really seems to have some serious talent. Same goes for Dominic Thiem. Thiem actually seems to be more of just a solid clay player. He's struggled since we left clay. But Goffin of course just had a 25ish match win streak ended by Janowicz (big man) in Wiston Salem. He won 3 challengers and then ATP level Kitzbuhel. He too though seems to excel on clay. All four of those titles were on clay.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Sometimes I wonder whether Sock should commit his career to Doubles. He seems to really successful there. When I see him struggling with Andujar, it makes me wonder whether he needs to settle down in that niche. No shame in it.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
It should be surprising to see Istomin serving for the first set against Gasquet, but.... it's not. Gasquet just the perennial underachiever. I do think he just wasn't as good as he was hyped up to be as a kid, but mostly it's just that he's mentally pretty weak. But... you can't blame this set all on Gasquet. I haven't watched it, but I know Istomin is no slouch. He's got a win over Roddick I know. Though Roddick was in his last year or two and basically just done. He's a solid server is the point though. Been around for years of course. Never done much and never will. But I can see him pulling off this upset.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
And Sock retires and Andujar goes through. Andujar is one of those underdog Spaniards that I actually like. Still hate to see Sock have to retire. But it means Vika can get on court so I'm good.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone got a stream to Coric v Rosol by any chance? Some lopsided 2nd set. Wouldn't mind watching it. Cheers.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
Rubin goes down 6-0 in the third. Does look like he's got some serious pace on his shots at times. Definitely some talent. May have a future... but may not. He seems incredibly small to me. And while small men can certainly survive and one or two thrive, the sport just seems to be getting bigger. Smaller men will struggle more as I the years go on I think. I think that's one of the reasons Goffin has struggled so much, though he really seems to have some serious talent. Same goes for Dominic Thiem. Thiem actually seems to be more of just a solid clay player. He's struggled since we left clay. But Goffin of course just had a 25ish match win streak ended by Janowicz (big man) in Wiston Salem. He won 3 challengers and then ATP level Kitzbuhel. He too though seems to excel on clay. All four of those titles were on clay.

I saw Rubin practice with the US Davis Cup team in January. Super nice kid and works like a dog.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
And Sock retires and Andujar goes through. Andujar is one of those underdog Spaniards that I actually like. Still hate to see Sock have to retire. But it means Vika can get on court so I'm good.

MR Slappy has a lot of work to do.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
tenisplayrla08 said:

I saw Rubin practice with the US Davis Cup team in January. Super nice kid and works like a dog.

Well hopefully it pays off. I definitely liked a bit of what I saw today. He was dealing with Delbonis' second serve amazingly. Just crushing it sometimes.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Of course Gasquet would win 3 games in a row when Istomin served for the set. Had to open my big mouth. I guess I was not only thinking Istomin could pull off the upset but hoping he would. I just think I've never really liked Gasquet. Beautiful backhand. Just not a fan of him. Something about him that just doesn't sit well with me.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tenisplayrla08 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
tenisplayrla08 said:

Well hopefully it pays off. I definitely liked a bit of what I saw today. He was dealing with Delbonis' second serve amazingly. Just crushing it sometimes.

He has a long way to go physically but he is a great athlete.