US Open 2020 plans

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Updated statement from the US Open regarding 'wheel chair tennis'

Thanks but like MOX said, why not switch dates with the Roland Garros tournament. That'll buy the USTA some extra time (around 4weeks) in order to rectify this and better prepare the U S Open.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How can they claim it's a grand slam when most European players stay away - USA is a dangerous place right now, and I think that with only two tournaments in USA and a lot in Europe and Asia - well ? Either cancel or downsize to a premier 5.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Vince Evert will be happy,

USTA "NEWS FLASH'

The USTA today announced that the 2020 US Open Wheel Chair Tennis Competition will be held September 10-13,its traditional place on the US Open calender.Wheel chair athletes will follow the same health and safety procedures as all players participating in the US Open and will be able to access the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center beginning September 7.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How can they claim it's a grand slam when most European players stay away - USA is a dangerous place right now, and I think that with only two tournaments in USA and a lot in Europe and Asia - well ? Either cancel or downsize to a premier 5.
It won't be played for 2 months. How do you know if most Europeans will stay away? On the WTA website, it shows all tournaments in August except Palermo at the beginning of the month will be played in the US, so if they want to play tennis, they have to come here. And you should try keeping up with the news...NY is doing really well now.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Moxie latest development in the US - shows it all - the Corona numbers are really alarming. There is at least one reason - the missing public healthcare and central control. Instead you're having a mix of election campaign and stupidness (sorry Americans) and no leader. Apart from this I think you can get many nice hints to what happens if you watch Bill Mahers showa. Enough of politic. For the health of players - stay away from the US until next year. I'm aware of better numbers in NY. Halep is not taking part btw just to mention the first lady.

corona.jpg

usmap.jpg

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My main point to you, though, was that there is no other tennis to play in August. As to your post, yes, I do know all of that.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Think of this stupid player - I don't think he is intelligent enough to see the danger

We're opening up again in Europe - slowly - from countries who has a bit of control of the virus. They have to have fewer than 20 infections per 100,000 inhabitants per week . If people want to visit Denmark from e.g. US, Brazil, GB, Portugal they have to show a negative test taken inside 72 hours and that goes for Sweden too btw .

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open women's singles wild cards,
Kim Clijsters,
Americans- Usue Arconada,CiCi Bellis,Francesca Di Lorenzo,Caroline Dolehide,Ann Li,Robin Montgomery and Whitney Osuigwe.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open Mens singles wild cards,
Andy Murray,
Americans, Ulises Blanch,Maxime Cressy,Sebastian Korda,Thai-Son Kwiatkowski,Michael Mmoh,Brandon Nakashima and JJ Wolf.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open Mens singles wild cards,
Andy Murray,
Americans, Ulises Blanch,Maxime Cressy,Sebastian Korda,Thai-Son Kwiatkowski,Michael Mmoh,Brandon Nakashima and JJ Wolf.

BTW neither Australia or France received reciprocal wild cards in men's or women's singles field.

• Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That would be unusual. Is that because none were offered, or because none were accepted?

No idea,there was no further explanation,as I read that information per Christopher Clarey on Twitter.I might go to the official website and see if I can find out more.I do know some Aussie's are going to the USO,especially on the men's side.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No idea,there was no further explanation,as I read that information per Christopher Clarey on Twitter.I might go to the official website and see if I can find out more.I do know some Aussie's are going to the USO,especially on the men's side.

The reciprocal was cut for this year.Therefore an American won't get one for AO2021.US Open 2021 it should go back to normal.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The reciprocal was cut for this year.Therefore an American won't get one for AO2021.US Open 2021 it should go back to normal.
I can see why that makes sense: they gave one to Murray, because he's a top player with artificially low-rank who wants to play, and the rest are from the US.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
US Open women's singles wild cards,
Kim Clijsters,
Americans- Usue Arconada,CiCi Bellis,Francesca Di Lorenzo,Caroline Dolehide,Ann Li,Robin Montgomery and Whitney Osuigwe.

With the withdrawal so far of Elina Svitolina,Kiki Bertens and Barbora Krejoikova,

#128 Francesca Di Lorenzo
#129 Natalia Vikhlyantseva
#130 Viktoriya Tomova have all moved into the main draw.

Sacha Vickery=wild card entry previously awarded to Di Lorenzo.
Another wild card likely to free up is Ann Li #131 is now next in.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alexei Popyrin (AUS) has withdrawn from the USO.Andy Murray moves into the main draw.
Mitchell Krueger (USA) will receive the WC entry previously awarded to Murray.
Federico Gaio (ITA) is now the first player out.

Reactions: britbox