US Open 2020 plans

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
what's going to take the place of the crowds applause. Fake audio applause as they're doing with some soccer/football games in europe?

What's going to take the place of the traditional handshakes?
I think they should go with fake applause. We're kind of getting used to it, these days. Even in the stadium...it might make the players feel better. Or what about some kind of Twitter or Zoom technology where we get to cheer for them in real time, on the speakers? If someone isn't developing that, they're dumb.

The handshakes for now are being replaced by a racquet tap.

Reactions: Vince Evert

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think they should go with fake applause. We're kind of getting used to it, these days. Even in the stadium...it might make the players feel better. Or what about some kind of Twitter or Zoom technology where we get to cheer for them in real time, on the speakers? If someone isn't developing that, they're dumb.

The handshakes for now are being replaced by a racquet tap.
No for Novak..he is increasing his percentage of when he decides to hug his opponents.. previously it was when they defeated him, now it's almost every other match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From Christopher Clarey on Twitter,

No media on site at the US Open this year,according to the USTA,except for broadcast partners.
Only two courts at the US Open will have linespeople.The rest 'One Umpire and Hawk-Eye'.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't watched the above yet, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but I did hear this from an ESPN guy on the radio today: that the players will be allowed 3 guests and allotted 2 rooms. No talk I heard about quarantine. No mixed doubles, no juniors, no wheelchair tennis. Only men's and women's singles and doubles, and if you play doubles, you can't play singles. The doubles field will be reduced by half: from 64-32 teams.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't watched the above yet, so forgive me if this is a repeat, but I did hear this from an ESPN guy on the radio today: that the players will be allowed 3 guests and allotted 2 rooms. No talk I heard about quarantine. No mixed doubles, no juniors, no wheelchair tennis. Only men's and women's singles and doubles, and if you play doubles, you can't play singles. The doubles field will be reduced by half: from 64-32 teams.

From what I read from the printed Press Conference 'they have created a 'bubble',the players will be tested on arrival for COVID 19 and then regular testing,I would imagine all players will have their temperature tested every day,also officials etc,wearing of masks,there was no talk of players having to be put in quarantine.,though if someone does test positive to COVID-19 they are confident it will not spread with the plans they have put in place..I guess we will have to wait and see on that front.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From what I read from the printed Press Conference 'they have created a 'bubble',the players will be tested on arrival for COVID 19 and then regular testing,I would imagine all players will have their temperature tested every day,also officials etc,wearing of masks,there was no talk of players having to be put in quarantine.,though if someone does test positive to COVID-19 they are confident it will not spread with the plans they have put in place..I guess we will have to wait and see on that front.

Here is the link of the printed version of the Press Conference

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tennis

'Disgusting discrimination': Dylan Alcott blasts US Open over omission
  • Wheelchair tennis left out of 2020 grand slam
  • ‘Players weren’t consulted,’ says two time champion
Australia’s Dylan Alcott has slammed US Open tennis organisers, accusing them of “disgusting discrimination” for planning this year’s coronavirus-compromised grand slam tournament without wheelchair tennis.

A winner of 10 grand slam wheelchair tennis singles titles, including two US Opens, Alcott vented on Twitter after it was officially announced the 2020 US Open would go ahead in New York in its scheduled 31 August to 13 September dates but with some big changes and under strict bio-security measures.

“Just got announced that the US Open will go ahead WITHOUT wheelchair tennis.. Players weren’t consulted,” wrote Alcott. “I thought I did enough to qualify - 2x champion, number 1 in the world. But unfortunately I missed the only thing that mattered, being able to walk. Disgusting discrimination.”

He added: “And please do not tell me I am a ‘greater risk’ because I am disabled. I am disabled yes but that does not make me SICK. I am fitter and healthier than nearly everybody reading this right now. There are no added risks.

“And for sure there are far more important things going on in the world, but that choice should’ve been up TO ME. It is blatant discrimination for able bodied people to decide on my behalf what I do with my LIFE AND CAREER just because I am disabled. Not good enough.”

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well said by DYLAN. When he's not competing Dylan is also at the helm of the tennis broadcasts mostly Nine network channel in this part of the world.

Shameful discrimination by the United States Tennis Association. Hope they register a huge loss at the 2020 open. I doubt it if i'll be watching this year.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
come to think of it, someone here mention the other day, why not swap dates with the french open tennis. This certainly has merit.
Also in those circumstances the New York state will have more time to recover the Covid-19 and the USTA can better prepare the USO as right now , it's looking like more of a debacle.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tennis

'Disgusting discrimination': Dylan Alcott blasts US Open over omission
  • Wheelchair tennis left out of 2020 grand slam
  • ‘Players weren’t consulted,’ says two time champion
Australia’s Dylan Alcott has slammed US Open tennis organisers, accusing them of “disgusting discrimination” for planning this year’s coronavirus-compromised grand slam tournament without wheelchair tennis.

A winner of 10 grand slam wheelchair tennis singles titles, including two US Opens, Alcott vented on Twitter after it was officially announced the 2020 US Open would go ahead in New York in its scheduled 31 August to 13 September dates but with some big changes and under strict bio-security measures.

“Just got announced that the US Open will go ahead WITHOUT wheelchair tennis.. Players weren’t consulted,” wrote Alcott. “I thought I did enough to qualify - 2x champion, number 1 in the world. But unfortunately I missed the only thing that mattered, being able to walk. Disgusting discrimination.”

He added: “And please do not tell me I am a ‘greater risk’ because I am disabled. I am disabled yes but that does not make me SICK. I am fitter and healthier than nearly everybody reading this right now. There are no added risks.

“And for sure there are far more important things going on in the world, but that choice should’ve been up TO ME. It is blatant discrimination for able bodied people to decide on my behalf what I do with my LIFE AND CAREER just because I am disabled. Not good enough.”

This does seem especially petty, since there are only a handful of participants anyway. I see this story has made international news, so hopefully the USTA will reconsider.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This does seem especially petty, since there are only a handful of participants anyway. I see this story has made international news, so hopefully the USTA will reconsider.
While I think "disgusting" is a bit strong, it was suggested on TC today that perhaps they could add it later in the competition, which most of the singles and doubles players have been eliminated. I suggested the same for juniors a while back.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
come to think of it, someone here mention the other day, why not swap dates with the french open tennis. This certainly has merit.
Also in those circumstances the New York state will have more time to recover the Covid-19 and the USTA can better prepare the USO as right now , it's looking like more of a debacle.
I'm a least one of the people that suggested that. I wish they would. There is more daylight for the French late Aug/early Sept., and NYC is farther out of the worst of the hurricane season by late Sept. We still have plenty of daylight and the weather is gorgeous here then.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
While I think "disgusting" is a bit strong, it was suggested on TC today that perhaps they could add it later in the competition, which most of the singles and doubles players have been eliminated. I suggested the same for juniors a while back.

That’s a great idea. They could probably begin the smaller events in the second week, after R16.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s a great idea. They could probably begin the smaller events in the second week, after R16.
Exactly. All of the outside courts would be free by then, which is where they play wheelchair matches and juniors, anyway. I'm sure they have liability concerns with wheelchair participants and minors, but people can sign waivers. And, as I've said before...if you're not comfortable, don't play.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm a least one of the people that suggested that. I wish they would. There is more daylight for the French late Aug/early Sept., and NYC is farther out of the worst of the hurricane season by late Sept. We still have plenty of daylight and the weather is gorgeous here then.
good one MOX :crossed-fingers:

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reactions: tented