Upset Corner

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Plus he won $80,280 and moved up to world number 26 so all in all, not a great result today obviously but he's making big progress all the same and that paycheck for winning Winston-Salem is a big one for a guy not used to winning tournaments.

Look at the stats of guys who played finals the weekend before a slam, and most especially before the Open, and their results on Monday or Tues.

The headstones in that graveyard are extensive...

Murray, Joker, Nadal, or Federer ever play a 250 the weekend before slam? Ever?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:
Plus he won $80,280 and moved up to world number 26 so all in all, not a great result today obviously but he's making big progress all the same and that paycheck for winning Winston-Salem is a big one for a guy not used to winning tournaments.

Exactly, it would be dumb if he were like a top 10 player. As it is Rosol made about a 100k in a week in half of play (including his first round exit at the USO.

Yeah, he'd surely have liked to have won today and made even more but as they increased the winnings for the loser in the first round he's still made a nice sum in 1.5 weeks. I'd say he's only slightly annoyed :cool:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

Look at the stats of guys who played finals the weekend before a slam, and most especially before the Open, and their results on Monday or Tues.

Halle? Queens? That's 2 off the top of my head.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
If Andujar beats Sock is that an upset? Slap Boy down a set.

At the beginning of that match, the commentators were acting like this should be an easy first round for Sock, when Andujar is actually ranked a little higher. I came back to see Sock retired, so I guess it's not an upset, either way. BTW, what happened to Sock?

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

Not the weekend before Wimby,. One week prior.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
If Andujar beats Sock is that an upset? Slap Boy down a set.

At the beginning of that match, the commentators were acting like this should be an easy first round for Sock, when Andujar is actually ranked a little higher. I came back to see Sock retired, so I guess it's not an upset, either way. BTW, what happened to Sock?

Knee. Probably did running around his backhand or slapping a forehand out wide.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Riotbeard said:
Front242 said:

Exactly, it would be dumb if he were like a top 10 player. As it is Rosol made about a 100k in a week in half of play (including his first round exit at the USO.

Yeah, he'd surely have liked to have won today and made even more but as they increased the winnings for the loser in the first round he's still made a nice sum in 1.5 weeks. I'd say he's only slightly annoyed :cool:

At least he knows his place.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

Besides, you have to treat the grass season a little different. It's only 2 weeks of warmups before Wimby. Players have to pick their poison. Play the week after RG or play the week before Wimby. Fortunately, this will all change next year as an additional week will be added to the grass season. So a smart player would play the first or 2nd week and have a good chunk of time to practice and prepare for the transition from clay.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Halle and Queens aren't the week before Wimbledon anyway. That week is the 's-Hertogenbosch/Eastbourne week, or at least it was, and off the top of my head Gasquet was the only near top tenner to play either of those this year.

Halle and Queens are the same distance from Wimbledon as Rome is from Roland Garros and Cincinnati from the US Open.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Halle and Queens aren't the week before Wimbledon anyway. That week is the 's-Hertogenbosch/Eastbourne week, or at least it was, and off the top of my head Gasquet was the only near top tenner to play either of those this year.

Halle and Queens are the same distance from Wimbledon as Rome is from Roland Garros and Cincinnati from the US Open.

Yup, hence participation of many top seeds going back to Mcenroe and Connors.

The Queens Club is also were some of the qualies are played or have been played as well in past.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

I agree. But a top player who went deep in RG would have to immediately be in Halle/Queens right a couple of days later.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

I agree. But a top player who went deep in RG would have to immediately be in Halle/Queens right a couple of days later.
No rest for the weary. You are assuming that top player got to the finals too. Still a week off between Halle/Queens and W.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

You just named the four best players in the game. We are talking about a guy who is probably just happy to be seeded in a slam. They are of a completely different class of players. We would all of course be agreeing with you if Novak played Winston salem, but they are not even comparable decisions. You are holding him to a standard that does not make sense for a player of his caliber. Based on his title, I would say he made the right choice. If Rosol lost in the 1st round and hadn't played Winston Salem, he would not have needed an excuse for that to make sense...

It's one thing to get mad at outside contenders like Delpo, Tsonga, or Isner, but Rosol is truly just a high level journeyman with no shot. Congrats to him for winning one of the handful of titles he will ever get.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

You just named the four best players in the game. We are talking about a guy who is probably just happy to be seeded in a slam. They are of a completely different class of players. We would all of course be agreeing with you if Novak played Winston salem, but they are not even comparable decisions. You are holding him to a standard that does not make sense for a player of his caliber. Based on his title, I would say he made the right choice. If Rosol lost in the 1st round and hadn't played Winston Salem, he would not have needed an excuse for that to make sense...

It's one thing to get mad at outside contenders like Delpo, Tsonga, or Isner, but Rosol is truly just a high level journeyman with no shot. Congrats to him for winning one of the handful of titles he will ever get.

I see your point. And it is well made. But if I was top 50 I would be no where near a tourney a week before any slam.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, with his new ranking of number 26 and steady progress this year he's bound to go up further and also others will fall so if he stays top 20 he'll be seeded at the other slams going forward. He's still making commendable progress at the age of 29. He's come a long way since the win over Nadal at Wimbledon 2012 when all the bitter fans we're saying he'd be a nobody. Maybe they still consider him a nobody but world number 26 is a decent claim for any player and he'll likely climb higher. This year isn't over yet either.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bautista Agut managed to get out of the 4th set with no TB, but Haider-Mauer has been giving him fits, and RBA was picked as one to watch in the tourney.

EDIT: OK now RBA serves for it 5-1 in the 5th.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Riotbeard said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:

I see your point. And it is well made. But if I was top 50 I would be no where near a tourney a week before any slam.

That is you. Usually the average top 50 player will sign up for a 250 event before a slam, because there are better chances for them there to get to a final than usually, plus there are no guarantees he could go deeper in than R3 in a slam.
Also show me a 250 event with no players ranked in the top 50.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well, with his new ranking of number 26 and steady progress this year he's bound to go up further and also others will fall so if he stays top 20 he'll be seeded at the other slams going forward. He's still making commendable progress at the age of 29. He's come a long way since the win over Nadal at Wimbledon 2012 when all the bitter fans we're saying he'd be a nobody. Maybe they still consider him a nobody but world number 26 is a decent claim for any player and he'll likely climb higher. This year isn't over yet either.

He was ranked exactly 100 when he defeated Nadal, he came a long way since then, no doubt. Some players consider their goal in the career to make it into the top 50.