Upset Corner - USO 2016 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is your one-stop thread to discuss upsets. I am not going to bother to define what qualifies as an upset. Just use your judgement. You can predict upsets before they happen, discuss it while it is brewing and relish it after it is done. However, the main purpose is to alert other people to watch it as an upset is potentially brewing. So, in that sense this is somewhat like NFL Red Zone channel.

Thanks for being of service to fellow fans.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see much scope for upsets on the opening day. Gilles Muller might possibly take out La Monf, especially if he indulges in clownery.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope so. Muller is one of the last true S&V players out there. I'd prefer to see an aggressive old school player win than a guy with tons of talent as an aggressive ball striker who instead mostly plays as weak as p1$$ pusher (Monfils).

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Probably you guys did not watch Monfils lately. He is not very serious and is playing all out. The only question is his body, which is 100% most of the time.,

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I don't see much scope for upsets on the opening day. Gilles Muller might possibly take out La Monf, especially if he indulges in clownery.
Nah, Monfils seems to be have matured and more focused than ever. It would be a SHAME if he deviate from his present ways of being an ATP pro.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
La Monf is so unpredictable that everything's possible with him

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Kyle Edmund closes it out in straight sets, 6-2 6-2 6-3. He should prevail over the Lacko/Escobedo winner to make R3, probably against Isner.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Youzhny - Klizan beatdown: 6-2, 6-1, 6-1. Klizan was a seeded player so there you have it, two upsets rather quickly.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tiafoe up a set and a break over Isner. A win would put him in the Race top 100, although not quite the official rankings.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tiafoe looks good, like he's made that important breakthrough to being a legit top 100 player.

In fact, I think he could do next year what Zverev has done this year: work his way up from the 80-100 range (which is where I think Tiafoe will end 2016) into the top 20-30 range. He's got some weapons and a nice touch - no Borna Coric here.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
El Dude said:
Tiafoe up a set and a break over Isner. A win would put him in the Race top 100, although not quite the official rankings.

Not to take anything away from Tiafoe as I like watching him and hope the best for him, but I do think that Isner's decline is starting. I think by this time next year he'll be around 50 in the world, and a year after that retired. I don't see him being a guy to slug it out on the challenger circuit and qualifiers.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree. The two guys that seem to be in rapid decline this year are Isner and Ferrer.

I suspect that Tiafoe will pass Big John in the rankings sometime next year.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
I agree. The two guys that seem to be in rapid decline this year are Isner and Ferrer.

I don't think Big John is 100% healthy .. I think if he takes a break and gets healthy.. He will be back.. That serve will isn't going anywhere..he will still be a threat for a few more years..

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:

You are quite optimistic. He has good athleticism, but an ugly FH. His problem is he is too juniorish, mentally. He will have still to break through the challenger circuit, where he has an awful record, 1-5 in finals.
We will chat at the end of the year about him.
And about him passing Isner next year, I don't think so.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

I don't think Big John is 100% healthy .. I think if he takes a break and gets healthy.. He will be back.. That serve will isn't going anywhere..he will still be a threat for a few more years..

I agree with you. isner might not be a top 15, but he will stay in the top 30 most likely.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, that was based on the idea that Isner's decline isn't injury-based, which someone said he's been playing with an injury. So if that is so, then I don't see Tiafoe passing him next year. I think Frances can squeeze into the top 100 this year, then try to get into the top 50 next year. If John is healthy, no reason he can't stick around in the top 20-40 for another couple years.

So revised prediction: Tiafoe will pass him in 2018.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
At the end of Day 1, we had two true upsets (Gasquet and Klizan) and two "almost" upsets in the all American old vs. young wars.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
At the end of Day 1, we had two true upsets (Gasquet and Klizan) and two "almost" upsets in the all American old vs. young wars.

Jack Sock is only 23- granted that is 5 years older than his opponent yesterday, but I'm not sure he is in the "old" category yet. What I'm really saying is that his best tennis is still in front of him (as opposed to Isner/Querrey whose best tennis was 3 or 4 years ago).

I think Jack's ceiling is around 10 in the world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong and for him to make a run at the top 5.