Top ATP Villains

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I decided to bump this thread, since @don_fabio is petitioning for Novak to be taken off the list. (Note: he has been taken off and put back on, before.) Make your case, Don Fabio, or @Fiero425. The recent argument on the Monte Carlo thread is that he's a good loser. He is. (Luckily for him, he doesn't have to contend with that much.) I believe that comment followed on after it was noted the dead-fish handshake that Zverev gave both Medvedev and the umpire today. As if it was their fault that he blew all of his chances today. (Zverev is still on the list, and so is Medvedev, I think.)

I'm adding this video from Marca of Novak's racquet crush, not so much to keep him on the list, but because it was a completely new approach to racquet-abuse, as a few noted. In a way, I give him style points for ingenuity. In another way, I can't help but think that was foolish. He could have injured his own foot. But we well-know he says he has to blow off steam. Part of his personality, like it or not.

Otherwise, the list is a bit old and musty. (Tomic was on the first list. Bernard Tomic WHO? Frankly, even Nick Kyrgios who?) And I don't think Rune made it. He does deserve some mention, however much @Jelenafan is trying to rehabilitate his image.

So, make your case for/against Djokovic being on the list. And add/subtract anyone else you feel is worthy.

I don't think Shapovalov is on the list, and he probably deserves to be.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Do players on the current list get any 'merit points' for not acting up recently at all?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
… And I don't think Rune made it. He does deserve some mention, however much @Jelenafan is trying to rehabilitate his image..

I’m so sorry, did someone accidently mention Holger “Hook ‘em Horns” Rune in this thread?

0422FC68-B1DB-42A1-AD10-DDAEC2D27643.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If you like. There are no rules, just impressions. Make your case.
Nick K has kind of on good behaviour of late, he did have knee surgery that has kept him off the tour, though his GF wants to see Paris in the Spring, Nick had said earlier he will play RG this year,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree with your thoughts regarding Shapo his latest melt down in the last tournament he lost, one Tennis Journalist asked
" Did he ever think of another career"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m so sorry, did someone accidently mention Holger “Hook ‘em Horns” Rune in this thread?

View attachment 8004
Don't try to get on my good side with that burnt orange, and cute pictures of Holger. He's been in villainy jail with most of the tennis world. Basically everyone is willing to chock his past infractions up to immaturity, if he's willing to straighten up his act. But he IS on probation.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your thoughts regarding Shapo his latest melt down in the last tournament he lost, one Tennis Journalist asked
" Did he ever think of another career"
Shapo is a talented guy who let's his emotions get the best of him, but rarely plays the tennis that it seems like he should. And then he complains. I think he's on the naughty list.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Shapo is a talented guy who let's his emotions get the best of him, but rarely plays the tennis that it seems like he should. And then he complains. I think he's on the naughty list.
He is his own worst enemy granted, he can stay on the naughty list, I have had enough of his childish behavior period.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don't try to get on my good side with that burnt orange, and cute pictures of Holger. He's been in villainy jail with most of the tennis world. Basically everyone is willing to chock his past infractions up to immaturity, if he's willing to straighten up his act. But he IS on probation.

Unless you have included Stan Wawrinka and Casper Ruud to your villains list to attempt to have some semblance of credibility…

74F29236-2DBE-4176-B733-F09D2FFE73F9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Unless you have included Stan Wawrinka and Casper Ruud to your villains list to attempt to have some semblance of credibility…

View attachment 8005
OK, I'll bite...what did Casper Ruud ever do? And even Stan, except get on the wrong side of Nick Kyrgios and Mirka Federer?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, I'll bite...what did Casper Ruud ever do? And even Stan, except get on the wrong side of Nick Kyrgios and Mirka Federer?
Yes I am interested to? cause I know the real reasons for Stan and Casper Ruud? who do not belong on this Villian Post to start with? just some BS as far as I am concerned, trying to deflect the antics of Rune!

Reactions: nehmeth

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes I am interested to? cause I know the real reasons for Stan and Casper Ruud? who do not belong on this Villian Post to start with? just some BS as far as I am concerned, trying to deflect the antics of Rune!
You mean where Rune accused Casper of bullying him? And it turned out to be a fabrication, so that Rune could excuse his own bad behavior?? The only thing Ruud can be faulted for is a lack of athleticism, not sportsmanship.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nehmeth,

Apparently Novak was trying to be peace maker between Rune and Stan at MC, according to some journalists, there was a picture of the 3 of them, I must say they all looked awkward in the photo I saw lol!

Reactions: nehmeth

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Even if he solve world peace between the Eastern and Western Continents, Novak will always stay near the top.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Modern day players are saints compared to some characters of the past. @Jelenafan mentioned Ion Tiriac earlier in the thread - if he was playing now, then he'd probably be classed as the devil incarnate. Likewise McEnroe, Connors etc. In slightly more recent years, Jeff Tarango always came across as a bit of a tit.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Modern day players are saints compared to some characters of the past. @Jelenafan mentioned Ion Tiriac earlier in the thread - if he was playing now, then he'd probably be classed as the devil incarnate. Likewise McEnroe, Connors etc. In slightly more recent years, Jeff Tarango always came across as a bit of a tit.

Add Clark Graebner, Ilie Nastse, & Cliff Richey! The thing is as crazy as Richey behaved on the court, he did fundraisers for mental health orgs.! :)

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think everyone agrees that Tiriac IS the devil incarnate. His post-tennis career has been even more heinous than his playing days...and that's saying a lot!