Top ATP Villains

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You have got to give it to Novak, regarding his new age of how to smash a racquet with your feet lol!
It’s a sign he’s getting old. He used to be virile enough to throttle the racket off the floor. He’s bound to try that again and decapitate a ball girl with a loose flying racket head. If he does, that girl will have died a good death and served a higher purpose when he’s disqualified - yet again!

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I decided to bump this thread, since @don_fabio is petitioning for Novak to be taken off the list. (Note: he has been taken off and put back on, before.) Make your case, Don Fabio, or @Fiero425. The recent argument on the Monte Carlo thread is that he's a good loser. He is. (Luckily for him, he doesn't have to contend with that much.) I believe that comment followed on after it was noted the dead-fish handshake that Zverev gave both Medvedev and the umpire today. As if it was their fault that he blew all of his chances today. (Zverev is still on the list, and so is Medvedev, I think.
I was actually joking there :)

I would say Novak improved his behaviour on the court since the USO debacle. Yes he still has outbursts towards his box, but he doesn't seem like a threat on the court anymore. He stopped abusing the balls, so he learned the lesson.

He breaks a racket every now and then, but that's usual for him. Racket break in Monte Carlo was very spontaneous, seems like the racket was there in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's hard to judge whether he is still a villian, most people would say once a villian there's no going back, so it's a bit like that for Novak. Too many things happened during his career on and off the court, but right now, for me, he is not the bad guy.

Zverev seems to be a prick and is definitely a sour loser. Always makes some excuses instead to address his mental deficiencies.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was actually joking there :)

I would say Novak improved his behaviour on the court since the USO debacle. Yes he still has outbursts towards his box, but he doesn't seem like a threat on the court anymore. He stopped abusing the balls, so he learned the lesson.

He breaks a racket every now and then, but that's usual for him. Racket break in Monte Carlo was very spontaneous, seems like the racket was there in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's hard to judge whether he is still a villian, most people would say once a villian there's no going back, so it's a bit like that for Novak. Too many things happened during his career on and off the court, but right now, for me, he is not the bad guy.

Zverev seems to be a prick and is definitely a sour loser. Always makes some excuses instead to address his mental deficiencies.
I knew you were kidding, but I thought it would be fun to revive this thread. Mostly because it was time to discuss what a jerk Zverev is, and you make the case very well.

Reactions: don_fabio

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
  • Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I used to like Rune. I liked his game, the way he struck the ball, the way he moved. Then at the French Open after very poor behavior on court, he blamed Casper Ruud. That was kind of it for me. He hasn‘t stopped. Here in Madrid, he erased a line call with his foot, while the point was still being discussed with the chair umpire. It’s prompted commentary on his behavior on tour.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-john-mcenroe-holger-rune-s-behavior-it-s-hard-total-a-hole

He's a child! You can't hold him to the same standards as seasoned pro; esp. The Big 3! Stop it! He'll grow & mature 1 day! He's got it all! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's a child! You can't hold him to the same standards as seasoned pro; esp. The Big 3! Stop it! He'll grow & mature 1 day! He's got it all! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I know you have a soft spot for his baby face, but how long before we stop giving him a pass? He's 20 years old, which doesn't qualify him as a "child." He only turned pro just over 3 years ago, so it's been a pretty meteoric rise for him, which can be head-spinning. But he knows what it means to scuff a mark on clay. He looks for reasons to rile the crowd and the opponent. He seems less misguided than intentional in a lot of his misbehavior. He seems to like to wear the black hat, let's face it.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I know you have a soft spot for his baby face, but how long before we stop giving him a pass? He's 20 years old, which doesn't qualify him as a "child." He only turned pro just over 3 years ago, so it's been a pretty meteoric rise for him, which can be head-spinning. But he knows what it means to scuff a mark on clay. He looks for reasons to rile the crowd and the opponent. He seems less misguided than intentional in a lot of his misbehavior. He seems to like to wear the black hat, let's face it.
Agree 100% Moxie, he needs to grow up, he isnt a teenager anymore, though he acts like a child, time and time again!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I used to like Rune. I liked his game, the way he struck the ball, the way he moved. Then at the French Open after very poor behavior on court, he blamed Casper Ruud. That was kind of it for me. He hasn‘t stopped. Here in Madrid, he erased a line call with his foot, while the point was still being discussed with the chair umpire. It’s prompted commentary on his behavior on tour.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/news-john-mcenroe-holger-rune-s-behavior-it-s-hard-total-a-hole
Thanks Nehmeth,

Agree, his fans cannot keep giving him 'passes' on his behavior, he isnt a 'teenager' anymore though he keeps acting like one,
His behavior in Madrid in the match against Foki was inexcusable? in a changeover he used his mobile phone to tweet how disgraceful the Spanish fans are I mean who does that in a middle of a match for starters? his focus level is an area he needs to address ASAP, apart from growing up, and trying to act like a professional on court

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This stuff doesn't bother me, except insofar as it prevents a player from actualizing their potential. Meaning, I don't have to like the person to like the player. With Rune, I like the player, even if he's an utter twat. He's fun to watch - as an entertainer. There are lots of actors that I've heard are royal douches, but I like watching them on screen. I mean, Tom Cruise, for chrissakes. Crazy dude, but total screen hog. Sean Penn is a royal ass, but a great actor.

But if this stuff stunts Rune's growth - and I think it could - that will bum me out, because I want to see him fulfill his potential. He should be there with Alcaraz as a Dynamic Duo (or Terrific Trio, if Sinner is able to take it up a notch).

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This stuff doesn't bother me, except insofar as it prevents a player from actualizing their potential. Meaning, I don't have to like the person to like the player. With Rune, I like the player, even if he's an utter twat. He's fun to watch - as an entertainer. There are lots of actors that I've heard are royal douches, but I like watching them on screen. I mean, Tom Cruise, for chrissakes. Crazy dude, but total screen hog. Sean Penn is a royal ass, but a great actor.

But if this stuff stunts Rune's growth - and I think it could - that will bum me out, because I want to see him fulfill his potential. He should be there with Alcaraz as a Dynamic Duo (or Terrific Trio, if Sinner is able to take it up a notch).
I agree with you, if this stuff stunts his growth, we may not see his full potential, but at the end of the day it is up to Rune, he is the one who controls his destiny in his career.

Reactions: Moxie and El Dude

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Rune. I even liked that he scrubbed the mark. I like that he’s brave enough and careless enough to piss off his opponents, and that he won’t lose sleep over it. I think he has the gifts and the gall to be great. That’s fairly significant when you compare him to a nice dull boy like Ruud or a daddy’s boy like Tsitsipas. We’ve had enough polite and smug failures in tennis over the last two decades….

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Rune. I even liked that he scrubbed the mark. I like that he’s brave enough and careless enough to piss off his opponents, and that he won’t lose sleep over it. I think he has the gifts and the gall to be great. That’s fairly significant when you compare him to a nice dull boy like Ruud or a daddy’s boy like Tsitsipas. We’ve had enough polite and smug failures in tennis over the last two decades….
Yeah, he brings life to the tour. In a way I'm reminded of a young Kyrgios, but he's not as funny or charming. But I think he's more talented, and perhaps most importantly, really wants to be great. I'll say it again, on pure upside I think he's on par with Alcaraz - and in some ways I could even see him reaching higher peaks, yet with less consistency. But whether or not he fulfills his potential is questionable. I hope he does.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, he brings life to the tour. In a way I'm reminded of a young Kyrgios, but he's not as funny or charming. But I think he's more talented, and perhaps most importantly, really wants to be great. I'll say it again, on pure upside I think he's on par with Alcaraz - and in some ways I could even see him reaching higher peaks, yet with less consistency. But whether or not he fulfills his potential is questionable. I hope he does.
Nick is an arsehole of a different type though, he cheats fans by tanking and he’s cowardly in big matches. I knew as soon as he began flirting with Novak before the Wimbo final that he’d conceded it before they played. Novak knew that too. But I get where you’re going with that. Hopefully Rune will be nasty in the way McEnroe was, not giving a shit so long as he’s winning.

And I don’t even like McEnroe but I think tennis needs winners and if this is the price, then bring it. We’ve had enough cheerful pampered losers, grinning at the net after losing. I’d rather see a brash ruthless winner instead. Himself, Alcaraz, Sinner, they’re all developing!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick is an arsehole of a different type though, he cheats fans by tanking and he’s cowardly in big matches. I knew as soon as he began flirting with Novak before the Wimbo final that he’d conceded it before they played. Novak knew that too. But I get where you’re going with that. Hopefully Rune will be nasty in the way McEnroe was, not giving a shit so long as he’s winning.

And I don’t even like McEnroe but I think tennis needs winners and if this is the price, then bring it. We’ve had enough cheerful pampered losers, grinning at the net after losing. I’d rather see a brash ruthless winner instead. Himself, Alcaraz, Sinner, they’re all developing!
You know Kieran I followed Nick as a junior he had all the potential in the world and even when he first came on the ATP tour, now he is just a 'loose cannon' who plays tournaments when it suits him, sad really, though as the end of the day it is up to any player how they control their tennis destiny.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Well blame a man for knowing the rules of the game. They were told by the umpire before the match, that they used computertecnology and that the umpire wasn't allowed to check the marks. Appareantly Fokina didn't listen.... The umpire told him again when he contested the call - and he still acted like a baby. And the computer showed the ball was in. And you blame Rune?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well blame a man for knowing the rules of the game. They were told by the umpire before the match, that they used computertecnology and that the umpire wasn't allowed to check the marks. Appareantly Fokina didn't listen.... The umpire told him again when he contested the call - and he still acted like a baby. And the computer showed the ball was in. And you blame Rune?
Thank you. It’s hilarious, the mark was not going to be used. He did not break any rules. It’s not like little Holger was cursing or spitting at the crowd, deliberately tanking a match, or screaming at the crowd to “shut the @#$& up” , hitting lines people with balls or beating down the chair’s platform, etc.

As for “riling the crowd “. WOW, imagine a player who isn’t afraid to have a little fun. If the crowd turns against him , it’s on him and he suffers the consequences though again crowds rooting against someone in an athletic event? Talk about pearl clutching around here.