The Small Screen: TV

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Favorite TV Series

britbox said:
Game of Thrones has been on my "To do" list for a long time. Need to wade through Boardwalk Empire first, but took a peek at the Red Wedding scene - a good scene but not ground breaking stuff IMO - probably because I haven't seen the series before and not invested in the characters. Will buy it in though and catch up.

I heard it was considered really graphic and I'm guessing it's with what happened to Robb's wife in particular. But that's nothing I haven't seen on Spartacus, in fact your typical Spartacus fight scene makes all that look really tame.

Aside from that it's as BS said, you would have to watch the show to realize how huge that scene is and it really came out of nowhere.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

DarthFed said:
britbox said:
Game of Thrones has been on my "To do" list for a long time. Need to wade through Boardwalk Empire first, but took a peek at the Red Wedding scene - a good scene but not ground breaking stuff IMO - probably because I haven't seen the series before and not invested in the characters. Will buy it in though and catch up.

I heard it was considered really graphic and I'm guessing it's with what happened to Robb's wife in particular. But that's nothing I haven't seen on Spartacus, in fact your typical Spartacus fight scene makes all that look really tame.

Aside from that it's as BS said, you would have to watch the show to realize how huge that scene is and it really came out of nowhere.

I've been avoiding new programming, sticking with the classics! Since I watched "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" on PBS back in the 70's, I couldn't help but check out "The Tudors" until it's conclusion last year! Even though I wrote a term paper on him back in high school, I had no idea how bloody things had gotten, slaughtering whole towns of his own people if they even questioned his idicts!

djmm

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

THE UNIT!!

:cool:

Cloo has another Unit marathon coming up this weekend, which means I won't leave the house :D I have a SERIOUS crush on Snake Doctor :snigger and I love Mac to death!!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Any Breaking Bad fans here? The final 8 episodes start today, I've been waiting wayyy too long for them to start back up.

It's on at the same time as Dexter but our cable provider doesn't have Showtime anymore due to contract dispute so I will have to stream it after Breaking Bad.

What's everyone thought of Dexter so far. Pretty slow I think but it probably is setting up for a crazy last 6 episodes, at least I hope so.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

This is the third season of "Suits" on the USA network. The first two episodes were a little disjointed with the plot, but the dialogue and interaction between characters was excellent. Episode three they are back to kicking arse and taking names. Intelligent dialogue, great chemistry, and enough plot twists to keep the audience guessing. Very enjoyable.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I hear Suits is excellent. I will have to watch it at some point. I still have to start up on The Walking Dead too.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

nehmeth said:
This is the third season of "Suits" on the USA network. The first two episodes were a little disjointed with the plot, but the dialogue and interaction between characters was excellent. Episode three they are back to kicking arse and taking names. Intelligent dialogue, great chemistry, and enough plot twists to keep the audience guessing. Very enjoyable.

I'll have to give this a try. I didn't realize it's worth watching.

E

EnriqueIG8

DarthFed said:
Any Breaking Bad fans here? The final 8 episodes start today, I've been waiting wayyy too long for them to start back up.

It's on at the same time as Dexter but our cable provider doesn't have Showtime anymore due to contract dispute so I will have to stream it after Breaking Bad.

What's everyone thought of Dexter so far. Pretty slow I think but it probably is setting up for a crazy last 6 episodes, at least I hope so.

Both a Breaking Bad, and a Dexter fanatic here.

Heisenberg says relax! #TreadLightly

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Unfortunately, this season of Dexter doesn't look like it's the proper send off the show deserves. The writing has been all over the place.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
that's why i love Breaking Bad. i'm quite optimistic they're bringing this to a good end. tread lightly was brilliant indeed. i must admit, though, that i was wondering if a different move would've been better. maybe it's due to him having become a bit softer and careless over the time spent in retirement (which would explain the cliffhanger moment at the end of the first semi-season as well). still, i think he could've done better.

my idea of course includes season 8 SPOILERS, so don't read on if you haven't seen the most recent episodes.

when Walt is confronted by Hank, i thought he just needs to make Hank realize that he'd have no trouble whatsoever making him look complicit, or worse, as the mastermind behind all this. it'd be hard to find a jury that wouldn't buy Walt's story if told like this: Hank, frustrated DEA cop, enlists his chemistry-nerd brother in law who desperately needs the money because of cancer/disabled kid/new baby. Walt is the executor, but Hank knows the criminal world inside out, pulls the strings, controls everything. how else would they build this huge empire, the biggest of its kind, do away with their main rivals, go global without having someone on the law enforcement side? it's Hank who wants Gustavo gone, and when he realizes he can't make a case against him (at least not without risking to blow his own cover), he has Walt build the bomb and offs Gustavo. yes, the money is in Walt's hands, but mainly because Hank knows the risk that comes with it and that he can't use it right now anyway, so he makes Walt handle his "retirement fund". Walt trying to leave the business, because his family is taking care off and he might be dying soon anyway - that's the reason why Hank even started moving against him now, and why he assaulted him physically. the press would love it - crooked cop would be so much more believable than dying teacher-gone-bad anyway.

of course, it's somewhat hinted at in the 2nd episode that Hank is aware of the negative effect that catching Hank could have on his career - but to this extent? i don't think so.

my main worry, if i were Walt and tried to go at it like this, would be that pushing Hank like that could drive him over the edge and lead him to just kill Walt. then again, if Walt really is dying, he doesn't have all that much to lose anyway, and Skylar and the kids would still get to keep the money.

then again, Walt still might make this move at a later point. and one reason not to say anything like that to Walt YET would be that he doesn't know if Walt was recording (although even then, he could've hinted at all this with the right phrasing - and on a record, it'd actually make him).

btw, the physical assault was another thing that Walt should've seized on. he should know this from Jessy's experience - a cop who assaults you is not the most believable in making a case against you. after getting hit, he should have gotten himself checked out at a hospital to have a record, then driven to Hank's colleagues and "innocently" asked about whether they knew how Hank was doing mentally, because he'd just been assaulted by him, out of the blue (maybe even mention "wild accusations that didn't seem to make any sense" - so he has the option of making Hank either a villain or a madman. or both.

btw, i'm not complaining that they didn't go in this direction. i think the path they've chosen so far is brilliant and does make a lot of sense. especially because there's still the duality of Walt and Heisenberg going on. just saying that i really thought that these would've been the best options for Walt, on an evil, rational level.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
oh yeah, so the writers were thinking what i thought all along. did it much better than me, of course.

seriously - breaking bad, without a doubt my favorite tv show ever :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
4 episodes of Breaking Bad left, it is set up to be phenomenal. Dexter has been a big disappointment so far and with 3 episodes left I'm wondering what they can do to really spice it up. There is still a lot that can happen and it had better happen soon.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
4 episodes of Breaking Bad left, it is set up to be phenomenal. Dexter has been a big disappointment so far and with 3 episodes left I'm wondering what they can do to really spice it up. There is still a lot that can happen and it had better happen soon.

Dexter has really sucked, so have Burn Notice.. I like this new show Ray Donovan.. Jon Voight is awesome.

Getting back to Dexter, the only thing I liked so far was finally seeing:heart: Jamie when Joey was getting so happy time with her, thank goodness for cable tv.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
what a cliff hanger in Breaking Bad. oh my, oh my. when those cars pulled up in the end, sitting at home, alone in front of my TV, i actually said "oh my god" out loud. don't think that ever happened before.

and even before, when Walt says something and then we get the cut to Walt showing up at a certain family's home - my heart almost stopped, even though that part turned out to be almost inconsequential.
i can honestly say that i've never, ever, ever was as excited about the ending of a show as much as i am about this one.

oh, and on the danger that you'll assume i work for AMC - is anyone following Low Winter Sun? i'm two episodes into it, and it seems promising. i have come to appreciate Mark Strong lately, and liking his performance so far. not 100% sure on how i wanna handle it in regards to the UK original. generally, i prefer originals - just finished the classically british House of Cards. still, i'm curious about how Spacey does it as well. somewhat optimistic, i think they can handle it (unlike The IT Crowd, where the US version is almost offensively bland).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
what a cliff hanger in Breaking Bad. oh my, oh my. when those cars pulled up in the end, sitting at home, alone in front of my TV, i actually said "oh my god" out loud. don't think that ever happened before.

and even before, when Walt says something and then we get the cut to Walt showing up at a certain family's home - my heart almost stopped, even though that part turned out to be almost inconsequential.
i can honestly say that i've never, ever, ever was as excited about the ending of a show as much as i am about this one.

oh, and on the danger that you'll assume i work for AMC - is anyone following Low Winter Sun? i'm two episodes into it, and it seems promising. i have come to appreciate Mark Strong lately, and liking his performance so far. not 100% sure on how i wanna handle it in regards to the UK original. generally, i prefer originals - just finished the classically british House of Cards. still, i'm curious about how Spacey does it as well. somewhat optimistic, i think they can handle it (unlike The IT Crowd, where the US version is almost offensively bland).

I saw that last part coming yet was still begging them to get in the car and drive away before "company arrived." I definitely agree that this is the most excited I've ever been to see how a show ends. I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen but I have a feeling there are many more surprises in the last 3 episodes.

I only saw a little bit of the first episode of Low Winter Sun so I don't really know if it is a good show or not, haven't heard much.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anybody see the first installment of the new season of Boardwalk Empire? Quite a few new characters appear to be coming on board.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Anybody see the first installment of the new season of Boardwalk Empire? Quite a few new characters appear to be coming on board.

Not yet - I've still haven't finished watching the first season. I liked it but got sidetracked and now picked it up again a year later, so re-watching some of the early episodes to refresh my memory.

I believe the third series is going to be a bit bloodthirsty with a lot of the main characters getting bumped off from what I read.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone who doesn't watch Breaking Bad should make it the next thing they watch IMO. Incredible show and an incredible last season. Hard to believe they still have 2 episodes left but there is no doubt there will be more surprises ahead.

Dexter was pretty good last night and sets up pretty well for the finale. Definitely a disappointing season but hopefully it is a great final episode.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
Darth - Fully Agree on BrBa. just saw it. i feel a little bit sick from the emotional turmoil.

if there is or ever will be another show that'll move me like this one, i don't think i'll wanna see it! ;)

really brilliant tv.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
Darth - Fully Agree on BrBa. just saw it. i feel a little bit sick from the emotional turmoil.

if there is or ever will be another show that'll move me like this one, i don't think i'll wanna see it! ;)

really brilliant tv.

It's climbed the ranks of the greatest shows I've seen. Game of Thrones and The Wire are completely different shows but those would be my 3 favorite in some order. I will say that seasons 3-5 of Breaking Bad are possibly the best I've seen of any show.