The Music Box

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes well put moxie. You know your stuff. Interestingly neither Dylan or Elvis chose to promote the song but for different reasons. I think in Bob's case it was meant only as a demo taped, not for himself to record, but for the publisher Witmark and Sons as Bob had a writers contract in 1962-1963. That's the only thing I can think of. The folk duo Ian and Sylvia first recorded Tomorrow is a Long Time as a commercial recording in 1963.
The only reason I can think for Elvis is that he was being pushed into Hollywood, and losing his roots, which he regretted. (I recently did a bit of an Elvis pilgrimage: Tupelo, Memphis, Sun Records, etc. It was for my friend, but I learned a lot.) He hated a lot of those movies. I think he was being pushed out of his bluesier best. Probably just sang that for himself. Interesting to know they appreciated each other. Why wouldn't they?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fairly vanilla, by comparison.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes well said. Hey Moxie, I want to personally invite you along to a new EP forum I'm involved with or just to check out http://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/.
There's no silly rivalries or egos on this Elvis website (unlike a few others) I can assure you lol...
Also have a browse at Keith Flynn's Elvis pages for detailed info on his discography, recording sessions, concerts and promos. Really authentic stuff -
http://www.keithflynn.com/

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fairly vanilla, by comparison.

Yes I agree. But hey this was the early 60's and this standard of Folk music was very much the trend back in the day. Rod Stewart had also recorded the tune in 1971. You know that one ?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes well said. Hey Moxie, I want to personally invite you along to a new EP forum I'm involved with or just to check out http://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/.
There's no silly rivalries or egos on this Elvis website (unlike a few others) I can assure you lol...
Also have a browse at Keith Flynn's Elvis pages for detailed info on his discography, recording sessions, concerts and promos. Really authentic stuff -
http://www.keithflynn.com/
That's a lovely invite, and I appreciate it. I have no (hound) dog in the hunt, regarding Elvis. It was my friend who was the fan, but it's hard not to delve into Elvis, and his roots, an not appreciate. What a voice.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I agree. But hey this was the early 60's and this standard of Folk music was very much the trend back in the day. Rod Stewart had also recorded the tune in 1971. You know that one ?
I didn't. Proving the power of a great song. This is a 70s rock and roll version of it.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Moxie. Ok then britbox, I think you are already aware of Phoenix - The Elvis forum. Think you will enjoy Keith Flynn's Elvis Page link I mentioned before at http://keithflynn.com/

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This has all put me in mind of Jimmie Dale Gimore. This is a thread for "arty." He combines great song writing, a bit of country, but a lot of Western, which is really a different genre. And I love his voice.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK moving on (as i want to feature other artists and do not want to get tied down to one or two artists) does anyone here enjoy the music of Bruce Springsteen ? I know I do. This is Bruce's Elvis tribute 'Bye bye Johnny' -

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Excelllent! This may seem facile, but there is nothing like Born to Run. Springsteen is a great storyteller. Also, he is one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good on you Moxie. Yes Bruce for over 40 years has always given his millions of fans their monies worth. There is loads and loads of Bruce and the E Street band material, radio FM broadcast and soundboards on Youtube. Hard to know where to start. You'd need an offshoot website to post all his stuff on LOL...

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Been trying to drop him a line on twitter hoping he and the E Street band would consider cutting a Blues record - a mix of Blues standards and new material. No reply yet.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This Elvis song in particular would be ideal for Bruce -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bruce's 1995 Aussie interview with the Guru Ian 'Molly' Meldrum is very detailed. The bulk of it relates to the album 'Greatest Hits' -

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was looking for the best cover of this, but I think Bruce is still the best. The song is sexy Woody Guthrie:

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey Britbox, is it possible to put either a mp3 or WAV file here ? Both are 19 seconds.

Tried on both formats and it came back with - "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension".