Kieren,

You might enjoy this:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVNUrcyJy8[/video]

Also if people like punk, this is one of the few good bands active today:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROECR-vsod4[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I love that Bill Callahan stuff. The intro alone to Jim Cain is worth the price of admission...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The great modern day composer John Williams:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vF4YM2F6EE[/video]

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Bob Dylan

"Jokerman"

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSvsFgvWr0[/video]

Dylan was incapable of creating a bad record in the '60s. A few from the '70s are also masterpieces, especially Blood on the Tracks. But Infidels, from 1983, is also a great one, and opens with this song.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great video too, eh? I like Infidels, but it's become as famous for the great songs he left off it, including Foot of Pride and Blind Willie McTell. I have a bootleg version of the out-takes from this record and a different version of Jokerman. The record was kind of over-produced, in my humble opinion, but still captured the spirit of those earlier versions. Sweetheart Like You is a great song, with a great vocal, too...

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Great video too, eh? I like Infidels, but it's become as famous for the great songs he left off it, including Foot of Pride and Blind Willie McTell. I have a bootleg version of the out-takes from this record and a different version of Jokerman. The record was kind of over-produced, in my humble opinion, but still captured the spirit of those earlier versions. Sweetheart Like You is a great song, with a great vocal, too...
A bit over-produced, yes, but not as much as his next album Empire Burlesque would be. Over-produced records were typical for the 1980's though. I guess they tried to prove what a great innovation cd's were and as a result many sounded as flat as a pancake and had a severe lack of warmth. I think that of all his 80's albums I like Oh Mercy the most actually. That's REALLY a good one.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Kieran said:
A bit over-produced, yes, but not as much as his next album Empire Burlesque would be. Over-produced records were typical for the 1980's though. I guess they tried to prove what a great innovation cd's were and as a result many sounded as flat as a pancake and had a severe lack of warmth. I think that of all his 80's albums I like Oh Mercy the most actually. That's REALLY a good one.

That's the thing. Over-emphasis of technology at the expense of spontaneity. Empire Burlesque was an album with a lot of great songs on it - nothing deep and meaningful, but I think it has its own pop-logic and isn't hard to live with - but from that period, using the leftovers of Infidels (of which some of EB was) and the best song from the next album after EB (the song is Brownsville Girl) and he could have had maybe 3 really strong mid-80's albums.

There was a load of stuff left off Shot of Love in 1981, too. Most of this has surfaced on the Bootleg Series and those rough studio versions are brilliant. But there's a lot more still to surface, officially. He didn't misplace his songwriting muse so much as lose confidence in his ability to sell it.

Oh Mercy was a strong album lyrically too. I mean, Man in a Long Black Coat is awesome. Over-produced? I think so, but not without taste...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Over-produced records were typical for the 1980's though. I guess they tried to prove what a great innovation cd's were and as a result many sounded as flat as a pancake and had a severe lack of warmth.

I was listening to some other CDs from the '80s the other day, and was reminded of this. In retrospect I think, "How did they not hear how awful this is?" but at the time I'm sure they thought it was great.

Dylan's Infidels would be a good candidate to have a do-over, kind of like what Yoko Ono did with Double Fantasy and McCartney with Let It Be Naked: take away most (if not all) of the production effects, and let the music speak for itself. The material was strong enough to stand on its own; it didn't need a thousand studio adjustments to create something interesting.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd actually like to hear Dylan re-record some old albums with his current band - and voice. Infidels and Blood on the Tracks would be great to start with...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I'd actually like to hear Dylan re-record some old albums with his current band - and voice. Infidels and Blood on the Tracks would be great to start with...

Maybe with Garth Hudson on organ, piano, sax or accordion (or all three on different pieces) and Robbie Robertson on guitar? Too bad Levon passed recently as that takes away a voice that could mesh with Bob, as ol' Rickie and Richard are long gone now. :(

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Speaking of The Band. Here's one of my favorite moments from The Last Waltz ... and it occurs at the beginning of the film, even though it's the final encore.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WoI95PTizs[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Speaking of The Band. Here's one of my favorite moments from The Last Waltz ... and it occurs at the beginning of the film, even though it's the final encore.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WoI95PTizs[/video]

Nothing shows up but I am betting it is "Baby, Don't You Do It". Am I right?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
tented said:

Nothing shows up but I am betting it is "Baby, Don't You Do It". Am I right?

It is! I love their version.

Can anyone else see the video? It's working for me, but not Shawn.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Got it up and running (had to remove a filter). Love that group and that film, also partial to Mr. Scorsese. Always nice to see the boys and the mad genius that still is Garth Hudson.

I just listened to Rockin' Chair, Unfaithful Servant and King Harvest (Has Surely Come) on the YouTube site. All I can say is--YES!!!!!!!!!!!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Deja Vu

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQC4YgOERHI[/video]

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Felling me some DMB today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXuYFih6Y8

Have you ever heard the live version from Saturday Night Live? It's not on YouTube, because SNL constantly patrols that site, but it's worth checking out.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm getting geared up for our summer concert series. I can't wait. There are some very good people coming this year. Speaking of Steely, they will be here for 2 days Aug 1-2 and I will be there again.

I was listening to a little Chuck Mangione today. Fun and Games, Give It All You Got and Land of Make Believe.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
tented said:
1972Murat said:
Felling me some DMB today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gXuYFih6Y8

Have you ever heard the live version from Saturday Night Live? It's not on YouTube, because SNL constantly patrols that site, but it's worth checking out.

I will definitely check it out. ..and I am seeing them live in Toronto soon. :)