The Movie Reel

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read the Cormac McCarthy book, "The Road," and while it was beautiful and affecting, I'll be honest...it was so dark, I couldn't bear to watch the film. But I can see why you say The Revenant was similarly bleak. I fear you're going to tell me you watched it at home, which is a shame, because it's cinematic gorgeousness is its main selling feature, imo. Glad you liked The Big Short. I thought it was a one-two punch with Spotlight, and I wished they could have been given a co-Oscar. One classic old-school and one edgy-inventive and both telling a story for our times that was worth telling.
Yes, I didn't watch it on the big screen - lost my last chance on Monday.

I might check out Cormac's book - I'm glad I didn't read it first as the movies are usually a disappointment in comparison.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Looking at the movie reviews, there is definitely a split between the blokes and the women... Birdman? My wife thought it was OK, but I've never watched a bigger crock of shit in my life. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus!

:lol3: You just figured that out, BB?:spank2:

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched the Crouching Tiger sequel on Netflix. It's a bit "meh." it's not as bad as it could have been, and the ballet is beautiful, but the story is flimsy and unoriginal, and some scenes are carbon copies from the first film. I hope they don't get in the habit of reheating this one...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The reviews for Batman vs Superman (or is it Superman vs Batman?) haven't been too promising, but I'm still excited to see it.

Reactions: Moxie

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Which Movie ? Comment: 'The only way you leave me is Dead'.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Michael Douglas as Gordon Gecko said "Greed is Good" in the 1980s Wall Street movie.... and I'll say "Creed is good". Yes, Creed is a well made, good boxing movie and has a pretty big cameo performance from Tony Bellew, who is a real life boxer from Liverpool, UK. I used to watch a lot of Bellew at live events when I was in the UK and he acted in a pretty similar way in real life - and used to shift tickets well.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Right on britbox. A Perfect Murder was the film title. Say I used to initiate a films quiz on another EP forum that was very popular but ran out of gas after two-three months. The other members caught on and followed the example I set. Do you think it would work over here. My knowledge is more on the 1940s -1980's however.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it would work long term, definitely. Everyone has a common bond with liking music and movies.

Might take a couple of months to get traction while people get hooked into it and we keep growing the user base (which is growing steadily - doubled in the last 2 months) but still lots more work to do on that front.

So, yes... great idea but it might take a little while to get going.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks britbox. In the meantime, I'll start plugging
'Discuss Tennis' forum on my tenniscollector YouTube channel, inviting people surfing YT over here. I use a motto on my comments: "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten". You know where it's derived from ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well it was actually Mickey Newbury who first recorded the 'American Trilogy but EP popularised it and made it his own.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just saw "Everybody Wants Some," the latest Linklater, and so-called "spiritual sequel" to his wonderful "Dazed and Confused." He's not everyone's cup of tea, (or can of Schlitz) but I like him and I really enjoyed the film. Not much happens, really, but I think Linklater is the one of the best at capturing the living-in-the-moment, figuring-out-who-you-are joy of youth. And the soundtrack is excellent, as always. I know not everyone gets into the indies as much as I do, but it's a guy-movie, for sure, so I thought I'd put it out there.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks Moxie, I watched Fruitvale Station last night... a little gem that flew under my radar when it was first released. Have you seen it?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven't and wanted to, so thanks for the recco. I'll check it out.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched Match Point, the Woody Allen flick starring Scarlett Johanson. It had the same problem most of Woody's films have - he makes them too quickly. So, great story and idea, but the acting was amateurish, as if the actors only met each other and were running through the script for the first time. I wish Woody would take time over films and allow them to develop a bit of depth. This was like a hastily made TV flick...