The Movie Reel

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kudos to you for being the only man watching Bridget Jones Baby,I recently saw it,I also enjoyed it.I went and saw 'Sully' the Tom Hanks film,a few people raved about the film,stating that Tom Hanks would get a Best Actor nominee? hmmm it was okay,maybe I was expecting more.

I've always been a little underwhelmed by Tom Hanks to be frank. I've thought a few movies were OK but he ain't in my elite list of actors.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So was I the only one who thought The Hateful Eight was masterpiece?

I FINALLY got to sit down and watch this... found it pretty underwhelming. I didn't think much of it. Very average movie and I had big expectations. Don't think it was anywhere near as good as Django Unchained or some other Tarantino films.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I FINALLY got to sit down and watch this... found it pretty underwhelming. I didn't think much of it. Very average movie and I had big expectations. Don't think it was anywhere near as good as Django Unchained or some other Tarantino films.

I admit I haven't watched it again so maybe I'll reassess my opinion, and yes, masterpiece was likely an overstatement, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do think Tarantino flirted with self parody at times with this movie, but for the most part, I remember absolutely loving it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I admit I haven't watched it again so maybe I'll reassess my opinion, and yes, masterpiece was likely an overstatement, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do think Tarantino flirted with self parody at times with this movie, but for the most part, I remember absolutely loving it.
I think I already said that it's not his best, but it's very clever (and he is always clever, if nothing else,) on the issue of trustworthy narrative. Unfortunately, like The Revenant, a lot of the best of it depends on the fact that it's shot in 70mm and widescreen, and, if you watched it on the small screen, that will be lost. In both cases, I think the choice was a bit bombastic of the director, but effectively used. Only that the effect doesn't translate to the smaller screen.

I was just in far west Texas, (Big Bend, Terlingua right on the Rio Grande border with Mexico,) and was reminded of a very small modern Western that I liked very much. If you've never seen "The 3 Burials of Melquiades Estrada," I recommend it. Tommy Lee Jones stars and directed, and he makes rather a point of blurring the lines of the cultures and the borders down there. Rather timely, at the moment.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watched Doctor Strange. Marvel movies typically aren't my cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just watched a Brit flick called Eden Lake. Anyone else seen this?

Not bad, worth a watch. it's not new and you can see it or download from Daily Motion website. Kind of a rural "Harry Brown" if you ever seen that. Not quite as good, but OK. It's basically about an anti-social bunch of kids terrorising a couple on a weekend break in the country and things get out of hand.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone know much about Rogue One coming out this year? It's a Star Wars offshoot.

Looks pretty damn good and I've been waiting all year for it. It covers the timeframe between episodes 3 and 4 (revenge of the Sith and New Hope).

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've always been a little underwhelmed by Tom Hanks to be frank. I've thought a few movies were OK but he ain't in my elite list of actors.

HE'S over=hyped ..but people have to understand -- american hollywood is ZIONIST land...

WHAT DID YOU all think Metro-goldwyn-mayer were all about...

''TEN commandments".
"SHOAH"..
"BEN-HUR"..
"THIS LAND IS MY LAND"..

and BEHIND ''PRIVATE RYAN" OF STEVEN SPIELBERG and his "SCHINDLER'S LIST"....

and plenty of strategically -- over decades -- placed blockbuster, tearjerkers are about?

it's about a LAND CALLED ISRAEL...the ''little david against goliath" ...

AND THE Great Vanessa Redgrave was viciously smeared for daring to call out ''good , innocent" israel for its brutality against the palestinians...

TOM HANKS is just his generation's ''BIG" but most importantly --

INFLUENTIAL stars who gets a big say in hollywood's actors' guild, policies, etc...people who can make or break careers ...complete with

legitimizing by means of TWO ''best actor' OSCARS...

if the ultra-talented HEATH LEDGER had lived on to maturity -and -- with that bold way of his -- started making independent movies criticizing ISRAEL -- HE'D be have been booted out of hollywood forever...

it's just that ''accidental overdose" got to him FIRST...if u get my meaning...

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

thank you very much for saying so. someone needed to say that.

hanks is one of the most over-hyped ''can do no wrong" actors in the history of movies.

and they had to have in the generation a ''giant talent" as antidote to the ostracized 'for being unpatriotic" MARLON BRANDO and his rejection of the Oscar...

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
LIST your favorite -- and/or -- greatest actors.
JUST ACTING ability...in the ENGLISH-speaking world , although i have plenty OUTSIDE that...but never mind........

MINE -- A few anyway>

Marlon Brando, Lawrence OLIVIER, JOHN GIELGUD, VANESSA REDGRAVE, daniel day lewis, christian bale gets the cut for me though still not at his heights, (who played that shortliveD DRACULA a few years back -- and in TUDORS?)

MAGGIE SMITH, HELEN MIRREN, ALBERT FINNEY, KATE WINSLET, OLIVER REED, EMILY BLUNT, heath ledger, jude law, Richard BUrton..JUDE LAW, TERENCE STAMP, HUGO WEAVING, (who played the main role in the remake of 'THE TIME MACHINE? -- THE aussie actor from PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT? he gets in my list of real talents.)

JULIE WATERS, CHIWETEL EJIOFOR, GLENDA JACKSON (oh my god) ,
PETER FINCH...

and more ..these are TRUE thespian greats..

against whom the likes of HANKS are acting NOBODIES.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
EVERY hollywood actor ought to go back to school --

in UK. AND some JUNIOR STUDENTS there can teach them a thing or two...lol.

THIS can be demonstrated in COMPARING even just TWO corresponding actors..

same age or generation -- rise - global recognition, TOP ROLES in VERY lengthy - years-long- series of movies in which they grow their craft in SIMILARLY RICH roles.

ELIJAH WOODS - USA -- for LORD of the RINGS as FRODO..by JRR TOLKIEN..

against contemporaneously overlapping production of

DANIEL RADCLIFFE as HARRY POTTER...

and BEFORE them

THE TV series

OF dune (CHILDREN OF DUNE - in 3 of the chapters appearances of similarly then-aged
JAMES McAVOY)...

they speak the same language -- but worlds apart as actors in quality, imo.

Last edited:

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
folks if you can -- post pictures also of the actors, actresses you find you like. looks, talent, whatever..

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reactions: Billie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
HE'S over=hyped ..but people have to understand -- american hollywood is ZIONIST land...

WHAT DID YOU all think Metro-goldwyn-mayer were all about...

''TEN commandments".
"SHOAH"..
"BEN-HUR"..
"THIS LAND IS MY LAND"..

and BEHIND ''PRIVATE RYAN" OF STEVEN SPIELBERG and his "SCHINDLER'S LIST"....

and plenty of strategically -- over decades -- placed blockbuster, tearjerkers are about?

it's about a LAND CALLED ISRAEL...the ''little david against goliath" ...

AND THE Great Vanessa Redgrave was viciously smeared for daring to call out ''good , innocent" israel for its brutality against the palestinians...

TOM HANKS is just his generation's ''BIG" but most importantly --

INFLUENTIAL stars who gets a big say in hollywood's actors' guild, policies, etc...people who can make or break careers ...complete with

legitimizing by means of TWO ''best actor' OSCARS...

if the ultra-talented HEATH LEDGER had lived on to maturity -and -- with that bold way of his -- started making independent movies criticizing ISRAEL -- HE'D be have been booted out of hollywood forever...

it's just that ''accidental overdose" got to him FIRST...if u get my meaning...

I'm not sure what prompted that anti-Semitic screed, but was it strictly necessary? Serious...Tom Hanks?

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not sure what prompted that anti-Semitic screed, but was it strictly necessary? Serious...Tom Hanks?

i knew you'd bite, moxie...

and you proved what i meant to elicit...though of course you'd never get it, either. lol.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
I know my tastes don't jibe with most on these forums, but I just saw "Carol," which is incredibly beautiful and about the swooniest romance to come along in ages. Also, I loved "Spotlight," which is the "All the President's Men" of this generation. Smart script and great ensemble cast.

Was that Carol with, darn I can't remember the actress's name. Wait, one was Mara Rooney? I think.

Anyway, I was looking for a movie to watch one night and it came on. I watched it because I was curious about the name. I thoroughly enjoyed it though because it was so well written and the acting was superb.

Reactions: Moxie