The Movie Reel

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yay great to see 'Spotlight' win the Oscar for Best Picture so well deserved!!!!!!!!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yay great to see 'Spotlight' win the Oscar for Best Picture so well deserved!!!!!!!!
That was a complete surprise, but well-deserved. It is the "All The President's Men" of this generation. Iñarritu's directing Oscar was well-deserved, as he is one of the greatest living directors and Leo's speech was great. I'm really happy that Ennio Morricone won for original score. He's one of the greatest.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That was a complete surprise, but well-deserved. It is the "All The President's Men" of this generation. Iñarritu's directing Oscar was well-deserved, as he is one of the greatest living directors and Leo's speech was great. I'm really happy that Ennio Morricone won for original score. He's one of the greatest.

I was not surprised it won,a lot of people thought Brooklyn could win,movie critics here tipped Spotlight for the best Movie,they were not all that impressed with the Revenant.I did go and watch the Revenant with my husband,my initial thoughts regarding the movie were correct,I did not like it at all,though my husband did.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Have to admit that I didn't see any of the films nominated this year. I am way behind. I was happy to see Leo finally win an Oscar (way overdue) and that was a fantastic speech.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was not surprised it won,a lot of people thought Brooklyn could win,movie critics here tipped Spotlight for the best Movie,they were not all that impressed with the Revenant.I did go and watch the Revenant with my husband,my initial thoughts regarding the movie were correct,I did not like it at all,though my husband did.
In fairness, I think The Revenant is a very fine film, rather a "guy" film, and I would say less perfect in the Iñarritu canon. It is also absolutely gorgeous to look at. There's a lot of Terrence Malick in it.
I liked Brooklyn a lot, but I had also read the book. While I really like Nick Hornby, who did the script, I thought it was rather more sentimental than the book. Not necessarily in a bad way, and I liked the film a lot, but the adaptation leaned a bit to the sentimental. Of course I was completely suckered by it. My favorite thing would have been if they'd made a draw for best Picture between Spotlight and The Big Short. They were a one-two punch about some things that need to be said, at the moment. But I'll take Spotlight as Best Picture.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In fairness, I think The Revenant is a very fine film, rather a "guy" film, and I would say less perfect in the Iñarritu canon. It is also absolutely gorgeous to look at. There's a lot of Terrence Malick in it.
I liked Brooklyn a lot, but I had also read the book. While I really like Nick Hornby, who did the script, I thought it was rather more sentimental than the book. Not necessarily in a bad way, and I liked the film a lot, but the adaptation leaned a bit to the sentimental. Of course I was completely suckered by it. My favorite thing would have been if they'd made a draw for best Picture between Spotlight and The Big Short. They were a one-two punch about some things that need to be said, at the moment. But I'll take Spotlight as Best Picture.

I think I said before when I saw Spotlight with my husband,which was sold out,when the movie finished the whole audience stood up and clapped.It has been a long time since I witnessed that regarding a film.I also saw Big Short,again a great film with a great cast,still at the end of the day,I am happy that Spotlight won the best Film!

Reactions: Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm glad DiCaprio won the Oscar, it's about time and very good deserved. I liked the movie though is too crude but real. His acting impeccable and superb special effects . I think this is the movie I like more by Inarritu who usually makes very depress movies like 'Beautiful" or the one that also won last year which I don't remember even the title

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad DiCaprio won the Oscar, it's about time and very good deserved. I liked the movie though is too crude but real. His acting impeccable and superb special effects . I think this is the movie I like more by Inarritu who usually makes very depress movies like 'Beautiful" or the one that also won last year which I don't remember even the title
I think everyone will disagree about Iñarritu, except that he's a great filmmaker. He does make some rather depressing movies, but he's a great poet on film. I loved "Biutiful." And last year's Birdman. This wasn't my favorite, as I found it too self-conscious. But it's very beautiful to look at, and still interesting on many levels.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Javier Barden as actor but like Iñarritu his movies are good but depressing. Last year I wanted to see Birdman but everybody said that it was a dark and strange movie so I decided to wait and watch it through Showtime or HBO or any of those channels.
I heard Brooklyn is very good, also I'd like to see Spotlight and Big Sort because are from true events same like the Revenant which is the only one I've seen in the movie theater

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll give you that Iñarritú can be a bit of a downer. Still, I recommend you try Birdman. You probably will like Brooklyn, Spotlight and The Big Short.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
:good:
I'll give you that Iñarritú can be a bit of a downer. Still, I recommend you try Birdman. You probably will like Brooklyn, Spotlight and The Big Short.

Thanks Moxie for those recommendations, I will for sure :good:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw Deadpool last night and thought it was really good. Probably not a movie for everybody but if you can tolerate or even enjoy over the top crude humor then you will definitely like this movie. Has a bit of everything.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Deadpool... another one on the ever increasing watch list... I was supposed to watch the Revenent on Monday night, but the missus comes home from Zumba about half an hour later than scheduled... so that went for a Burton. Downloaded it instead, but yet to watch.

Currently got a few movies for viewing.... The Revenent, Hateful Eight, The Big Short, Creed and TV Series called Penny Dreadful everyone keeps telling me to watch. Deadpool... might have to escape to the cinema on Tuesday, heard it's top notch.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at the movie reviews, there is definitely a split between the blokes and the women... Birdman? My wife thought it was OK, but I've never watched a bigger crock of shit in my life. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I do need to get caught up on a bunch of movies, haven't seen a single one that was just up for best film in the Oscars. That's sad.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I do need to get caught up on a bunch of movies, haven't seen a single one that was just up for best film in the Oscars. That's sad.

I'm in the same 'package', I missed most of those movies

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, I knocked off two movies from the To Do List yesterday...

The Revenant:

Well made film and it was good... but quite dark and depressing on many levels. I don't know if anybody had seen the "The Road" - a post-apocalypse flick starring Viggo Mortensen, a different setting and story but I kind of felt exactly the same after that one.

The Big Short

This one I really enjoyed. It was character driven and I like strong characters in movies. I didn't even recognise Christian Bale until part way into the movie - I thought he was the actor who played Ralph in the Sopranos at first glance, but what a great performance as Michael Burry. Pitt was good in his understated role.

Reactions: Billie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read the Cormac McCarthy book, "The Road," and while it was beautiful and affecting, I'll be honest...it was so dark, I couldn't bear to watch the film. But I can see why you say The Revenant was similarly bleak. I fear you're going to tell me you watched it at home, which is a shame, because it's cinematic gorgeousness is its main selling feature, imo. Glad you liked The Big Short. I thought it was a one-two punch with Spotlight, and I wished they could have been given a co-Oscar. One classic old-school and one edgy-inventive and both telling a story for our times that was worth telling.