The Movie Reel

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone seen Gone Girl? I hadn't read the book so I had no idea what was going to happen. I think it was great. Pike was especially good in a, shall we say, really really challenging role. I won't say anymore as describing it could give certain things away.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I've been in braindead mode for films lately: in the last 4 days I've watched Angels & Demons, Clear and Present Danger, then Mission: Impossible.

I enjoyed them all... :)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Anyone seen Gone Girl? I hadn't read the book so I had no idea what was going to happen. I think it was great. Pike was especially good in a, shall we say, really really challenging role. I won't say anymore as describing it could give certain things away.

I hear that its good.. However, I care about:nono Ben Ben Affleck as much as Darth feels about Rafa.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a big fan of affleck either but he did well in the film probably came pretty natural for him haha

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Not a big fan of affleck either but he did well in the film probably came pretty natural for him haha

:snigger:laydownlaughing.. that's sounds about correct

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Still on an action binge, I watched Patriot Games last night, Harrison Ford versus Sean Bean.

At first, I thought that this is sooo unrealistic. I mean, Sean Bean - in a taxi? :nono

What taxi driver would risk losing the fare, with the world's most renowned baddie in the back seat? But then I realised, they were all baddies in the taxi!

Great action flick, Harrison Ford as noble as ever, kind of a modern Gregory Peck, responding to things he has no control over...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I love Harrison Ford...I was reading a script writing book and this writer was telling a story. He was saying that he had written this great half minute speech for him in one of his movies for a very crucial moment in the film. Ford looks at it and tells the writer" That is a great speech son...I love it...except I can say all of that stuff with one look...just get rid of it." Awesome.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, there's always a moment in the film where the situation dawns on him and he gives "that look" that says, I'm not going to stand for that, buster!

Great actor... :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay, so I'm still on my action movie binge. Yesterday I watched the sequel to 300, which is called 300: Rise of an Empire. Let's leave aside the historical accuracies - or inaccuracies - because this isn't meant to be historically accurate, I think it's based on a comic book, the same as 300, which I loved.

It's just messy, and in parts very boring. Some of it is brilliant, and of course, the CGI stuff makes everything look cool and groovy, blood spatters paused in midair, fellers dying groaning while they arch their backs, ballet-battles, like the Bolshoi, men in tiny skirts pirouetting through the air to a funky tune, standing en pointe while they ram the spear through. Those parts were okay, but I think the special effects in films like these come too cheaply and so it makes them look cheap. There's no hard work or ingenuity in creating the effect, so it no longer looks special.

My main bugbear was Eva Green, as Artemisia. She reminded me of this, she was so hammy. Overall, I think it was a bad idea to make the sequel, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Okay, so I'm still on my action movie binge. Yesterday I watched the sequel to 300, which is called 300: Rise of an Empire. Let's leave aside the historical accuracies - or inaccuracies - because this isn't meant to be historically accurate, I think it's based on a comic book, the same as 300, which I loved.

It's just messy, and in parts very boring. Some of it is brilliant, and of course, the CGI stuff makes everything look cool and groovy, blood spatters paused in midair, fellers dying groaning while they arch their backs, ballet-battles, like the Bolshoi, men in tiny skirts pirouetting through the air to a funky tune, standing en pointe while they ram the spear through. Those parts were okay, but I think the special effects in films like these come too cheaply and so it makes them look cheap. There's no hard work or ingenuity in creating the effect, so it no longer looks special.

My main bugbear was Eva Green, as Artemisia. She reminded me of this, she was so hammy. Overall, I think it was a bad idea to make the sequel, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be...

Yeah I agree. It was just all around mediocre but that's your typical sequel eh?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Has anybody here seen Interstellar?

I did last night. I have plenty of thoughts, and I need to watch it again, but for now, I'll say this: Like every overambitious Nolan movie, it has its flaws. However, like every overambitious Nolan movie, it's absolutely breathtaking.

I think, regardless of whether or not he's your cup of tea, we should all appreciate an innovative, creative director who's willing to take risks and make such demanding movies at this day and age, combined with stellar performances, casting, visuals, etc...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

I did last night. I have plenty of thoughts, and I need to watch it again, but for now, I'll say this: Like every overambitious Nolan movie, it has its flaws. However, like every overambitious Nolan movie, it's absolutely breathtaking.

I think, regardless of whether or not he's your cup of tea, we should all appreciate an innovative, creative director who's willing to take risks and make such demanding movies at this day and age, combined with stellar performances, casting, visuals, etc...

Thanks brother! I'm hoping to see it in the IMAX tomoro. I love his movies too, the guy tries things on a big scale. Great ideas too. As Michael Caine said, he's the type of director who fifty years ago would make art house stuff that nobody watches. Just for the spectacle alone, his movies are worth it.

Did you watch in 3D?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Thanks brother! I'm hoping to see it in the IMAX tomoro. I love his movies too, the guy tries things on a big scale. Great ideas too. As Michael Caine said, he's the type of director who fifty years ago would make art house stuff that nobody watches. Just for the spectacle alone, his movies are worth it.

Did you watch in 3D?

I don't think the movie is available in 3D.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Did you watch in 3D?

I don't think the movie is available in 3D.

Actually, you're right! It's in the IMAX but it isn't 3D. I think Nolan doesn't do 3D, which is a pity. Looks like this was gift-wrapped for 3D viewing...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Just came back from the theater, saw Interstellar. I like Nolan. He deals with stuff, like gravitational time dilation, that probably gave Hollywood execs some heart palpitations when first pitched.
It was breathtaking, like BS said. I am sure I missed some important bits, so a second watch for me is totally necessary as well.

I have to admit though, when I first saw Matthew McConaughey years back, I never thought for a second he was going to have the career he is having now. The guy managed to do something that few others could: Break the chains of the stereotypical heartthrob and mature into a real actor.

I am also a sucker for anything Michael Caine, so that did not hurt either.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw the new Hunger Games today. Pretty solid but a little slow. I haven't read the 3rd book so I'm not sure if the author also split it into 2 parts but given that the books are all of similar size it's easy to see why this one was a bit slow. It certainly leaves off at a good point and sets up the finale really well.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:

Hey, what is up with the movies this fall. I havent seen anything that appealed to me but Fury.. now the wife is setting me up for my absolute worst nightmare, A movie with Ben Affleck acting in it.. She is reading the book Gone Girl and I know its coming." Honey, lets go check out the movie".. I would rather stay home and eat a box of Exlax:cover and argue with Dr. Front about his latest take on PED and etc.:cover:devil

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm not an Ben Affleck fan but Gone Girl was pretty good. Affleck's performance wasn't anything special, but the film itself is really captivating.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

Hey, what is up with the movies this fall. I havent seen anything that appealed to me but Fury.. now the wife is setting me up for my absolute worst nightmare, A movie with Ben Affleck acting in it.. She is reading the book Gone Girl and I know its coming." Honey, lets go check out the movie".. I would rather stay home and eat a box of Exlax:cover and argue with Dr. Front about his latest take on PED and etc.:cover:devil

Nah, watch that movie, it is a great one...