The Movie Reel

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
TsarMatt said:
I guess my only quibble is that the theatre had a 20 minute break halfway through the film which kind of annoyed me because I was so invested in the picture.

I was enjoying your experience vicariously, and the "progression of moods and feelings", and then came to this. An intermission?! I can't believe a riot didn't break out.

We were so annoyed, man! It's just a cheap way for the food station to make some extra $$$. It really damaged the flow of - what is - such a highly atmospheric and involving film. Luckily, I got right back into it when the screening resumed.

But I tell you - the picture quality was absolutely remarkable. 70mm has almost double the resolution of today's top-end 4K digital projectors. It's the ultimate viewing experience. It really is the 'magic of cinema'. Seeing a film print projected just has this remarkably gorgeous look to it that digital projection will never replicate. :D Of course, it helped that the print was in immaculate condition and it was 70mm. :p

Billie said:
TsarMatt, that was a lovely description of your film experience.

I saw that movie for the first time 30 years ago and I was perhaps too young to understand it, but some scenes accompanied with classical music made a big impression on me at the time. Even though I watched the movie several times since then, the first impressions about it have stuck with me till today.

Yep! I really can't even say I fully understand the film now, but I don't honestly think it's strictly about appealing to the intellect. It's about evoking an emotion from the viewers, and boy, did it do that! LOL.

As Kubrick once said...

"Film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later".

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
By the way, this is what the theatre looked like:

Astor.jpg

astortheatre02.jpg

:)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ Beautiful. I can see how that would have added to the overall experience.

I did a few searches for 70mm theaters, and found this list, which includes a link to the Astor:

http://in70mm.com/now_showing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Equalizer is a good film for those who are Denzel Washington fans.. I wouldnt give it 4 stars because of the story line but Denzel's acting performance is spot on!:clap

tented

Administrator
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
The Equalizer is a good film for those who are Denzel Washington fans.. I wouldnt give it 4 stars because of the story line but Denzel's acting performance is spot on!:clap

I'm a fan, so I'll watch it ... but I'll probably wait for it to be on HBO.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, The Equalizer sounds pretty cool. My wife is back home in Riga till Weds and went to see Gone Girl today and loved it. It's getting very good reviews too.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Yeah, The Equalizer sounds pretty cool. My wife is back home in Riga till Weds and went to see Gone Girl today and loved it. It's getting very good reviews too.

I hear that Gone Girl is pretty good.. I just wont watch anything associated with Ben Afleck, not even if I sat in a theatre with his wife Jennifer Garner sitting next to me while she is totally nude(well, on the other hand, my dislike of Ben has it limits and that would be the lone exception.)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a mad fan of him either but I really liked The Town. Thought he was good in that.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm really not big on Affleck, as an actor, either, but he's quite a talented director and screenwriter.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
I'm really not big on Affleck, as an actor, either, but he's quite a talented director and screenwriter.

Screenwriter, all I know is he supposedly co wrote GWH with Matt Damon
Director, he had some very good producers
Actor, a lot of pressure to keep us comic book fans happy after Christian Bales brilliantly portrayed Batman

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
TsarMatt said:

Actor, a lot of pressure to keep us comic book fans happy after Christian Bales brilliantly portrayed Batman

Affleck also co-authored the adapted screenplays for Gone Baby Gone and The Town.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
the AntiPusher said:
TsarMatt said:

Affleck also co-authored the adapted screenplays for Gone Baby Gone and The Town.

Gone baby gone was pretty good and the town I have to admit was excellent.. still in box with a fox in a house with a mouse on a boat with a goat I will not like Ben Affleck here or there, I will not like him anywhere:laydownlaughing

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In response to this great thread, I'm bringing popular Western films of the 1950's and 1960's. Anyone here a fan of Westerns ?

1. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - John Ford's last great masterpiece, and the film that would perhaps get my vote for best ever. One reviewer called it 'a melancholy ghost sonata' -- not a bad description. It deconstructs the American creation myth, by revealing the bitter compromise at it's core. Some complain about Stewart and Wayne being too old for the parts they play, but this is misguided. Ford uses Hollywood icons to represent important pieces of American mythology. He's telling the audience that Jefferson Smith and The Ringo Kid are full of sh*t. Stewarts gallows-walk to the legendary showdown is unforgettable.

2. The Searchers (1956) - John Ford's famous masterpiece and one of the greatest films ever made. John Wayne's Ethan Edwards, one of the most bigoted, warped anti-heroes on the screen, is perhaps his finest performance. "We'll find 'em...just as sure as...the turning of the earth."

3.. Lonely Are The Brave (1962)- A modern western featuring Kirk Douglas's best performance as a cowboy living in an era that shirks individualism and moral codes.

4 ..Flaming Star (1960)- Flaming Star is an excellent western, and IMHO is The King Elvis Presleys best attempt at serious dramatic acting.
It's an interesting perspective of racial prejudice, looking past the standard finger-pointing toward a particular culture, to assault the very nature of tribalism- calling it out as a destructive force. The intense hatred between the whites and kiowas destroys Pacer's family and with it, the world in which he can survive. He saves his brother, because he knows he can adapt and thrive in white culture - something that isn't a reality for Pacer. So his final act is a suicide of sorts. Intense from start to finish, unlike the 30 other films he had made. LOL Not revealing the ending. Download it online...

5.. Once Upon a Time in the West(1968) This by far is #1, among my favorites of any genre. ... I could carry on about it, but I will resist.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Once Upon a Time in the West is the greatest western of all time and one of the best movies ever. I'd take it over The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in a heartbeat, and I am a fan of the latter.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Once Upon a Time in the West is the greatest western of all time and one of the best movies ever. I'd take it over The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in a heartbeat, and I am a fan of the latter.

Incredibly, Clint turned it down because he said that nothing happens in the first ten minutes... :cover

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Incredibly, Clint turned it down because he said that nothing happens in the first ten minutes... :cover

Nah.. Clint was correct.. Also, think about this .. How many times can you watch OUATINW without falling asleep.. However, the GB & U, its so entertaining it makes you want to see the next scene.. Also, it prompts you to want to see the other two movies in the triiogy(A Few more dollars and a fist full of dollars)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
As far as westerns go I'd also consider these some of my favourites:

The Wild Bunch (1969)
Face to Face (1967)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
Hang 'Em High (1968)
High Plains Drifter (1973)
Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
Django (1966)
A Professional Gun (1968)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Great Silence (1968)
The Grand Duel (1972)
The Big Gundown (1966)
Companeros (1970)
A Bullet For The General (1966)
Death Rides a Horse (1967)
Bandolero! (1968) <---- Mmmmm, Racquel Welch was some tasty minx.
Sabata (1969) <--- There are two sequels as well but they're not as good as the first one.
Soldier Blue (1970) Though ultra violent in its uncut form, it's a film fans of westerns should watch.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting list. But how can you have such a list without ONE FROM JOHN WAYNE EPIC :huh:

You know these ? Fort Apache, Hondo, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, El Dorado ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Comes to think of it. How can I have a list, albeit with just 5, and NOT HAVE CLINT !!!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Nah.. Clint was correct.. Also, think about this .. How many times can you watch OUATINW without falling asleep.. However, the GB & U, its so entertaining it makes you want to see the next scene.. Also, it prompts you to want to see the other two movies in the triiogy(A Few more dollars and a fist full of dollars)

Eh, I can watch it every single time without sleeping and I must be up to about fifty times by now. It's on my list with Goodfellas and Unforgiven as movies I watch every single time they're on, without diminishment. There are others on the list too, but i can't think of them. ;)

Sergio Leone was asked about Clint as an actor, and he said, "Clint has two expressions: with a hat, and without a hat." :lolz: But he was wrong too. :)

Front242 said:
As far as westerns go I'd also consider these some of my favourites:

The Wild Bunch (1969)
Face to Face (1967)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
Hang 'Em High (1968)
High Plains Drifter (1973)
Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
Django (1966)
A Professional Gun (1968)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Great Silence (1968)
The Grand Duel (1972)
The Big Gundown (1966)
Companeros (1970)
A Bullet For The General (1966)
Death Rides a Horse (1967)
Bandolero! (1968) <---- Mmmmm, Racquel Welch was some tasty minx.
Sabata (1969) <--- There are two sequels as well but they're not as good as the first one.
Soldier Blue (1970) Though ultra violent in its uncut form, it's a film fans of westerns should watch.

I'm with MrT. Any list of westerns has to include a few movies with the Duke, most especially The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

I'd also add The Big Country and The Gunfighter, two great westerns with Gregory Peck. And though Clint is well represented by your list, you leave out Josie Wales and Unforgiven? :nono :cover