The Frontier Chat Bar

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is frighteningly close to the bone.
I found it funny & although it covered most of the reasons why people procrastinate, it didn't cover all of them. I'm a big procrastinator. The reasons why I procrastinate are: I don't like what I have to do, I find what I have to do boring, I find what I have to do too repetitive, I find what I have to do time-consuming, I have a fear of failure, I'm a perfectionist, although I know what I have to do I don't know where to start.

(I've got an annoying boredom threshold which means I can't do things I find boring that well for long & switch to other tasks which are more interesting to me after a while & unless I'm doing something that I'm truly fascinated by I like to do something else after a while. I prefer lots of short tasks which makes me think I've got a lot done. I also prefer the interesting tasks to the boring ones. Unless I'm careful, I can often get basics wrong or do a bad job with the basics while I get the harder jobs right & do a much better job. When I find out what went wrong with the basics later or how bad a job I did with basic stuff I often feel stupid. As I've had a hard past & use distraction to keep me happy, boredom is painful for me.)

I don't know how many procrastinators have the same reasons as me for procrastinating but I'm sure I won't be alone in procrastinating for the reasons I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I found it funny & although it covered most of the reasons why people procrastinate, it didn't cover all of them. I'm a big procrastinator. The reasons why I procrastinate are: I don't like what I have to do, I find what I have to do boring, I find what I have to do too repetitive, I find what I have to do time-consuming, I have a fear of failure, I'm a perfectionist, although I know what I have to do I don't know where to start.

(I've got an annoying boredom threshold which means I can't do things I find boring that well for long & switch to other tasks which are more interesting to me after a while & unless I'm doing something that I'm truly fascinated by I like to do something else after a while. I prefer lots of short tasks which makes me think I've got a lot done. I also prefer the interesting tasks to the boring ones. Unless I'm careful, I can often get basics wrong or do a bad job with the basics while I get the harder jobs right & do a much better job. When I find out what went wrong with the basics later or how bad a job I did with basic stuff I often feel stupid. As I've had a hard past & use distraction to keep me happy, boredom is painful for me.)

I don't know how many procrastinators have the same reasons as me for procrastinating but I'm sure I won't be alone in procrastinating for the reasons I do.
I think you're saying what the guy in the video was saying, and what we're all up against: we procrastinate a lot of things because they're boring. And intimidating, and because I think in a sense we are perfectionists. Or, because we think things have to be done perfectly, when, if we just consulted the people who need us to do them, they would often be perfectly happy with "adequate," or at least until we could get to that next step. I don't know if everyone is like this, but I seem to feel like I need to have all the answers and complete the task before I approach even the bureaucrat. Whereas, they have lots of answers, and can help me. I find that when I decide not to be intimidated by the process, and just call someone on the phone, etc., I can get to the next step. I guess the point is: small bites at a time. When you feel like you have to climb the entire mountain by yourself, you are too intimidated, and put it off. When you just call someone on the g*d d@mned telephone, you often find they can get you to the next step, and keep the project in bite-sized chunks.

And there's nothing like a deadline to finally make us do it. But until then, there's nothing like a word puzzle and a google black hole to put it off for another day.....

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I think you're saying what the guy in the video was saying, and what we're all up against: we procrastinate a lot of things because they're boring. And intimidating, and because I think in a sense we are perfectionists. Or, because we think things have to be done perfectly, when, if we just consulted the people who need us to do them, they would often be perfectly happy with "adequate," or at least until we could get to that next step. I don't know if everyone is like this, but I seem to feel like I need to have all the answers and complete the task before I approach even the bureaucrat. Whereas, they have lots of answers, and can help me. I find that when I decide not to be intimidated by the process, and just call someone on the phone, etc., I can get to the next step. I guess the point is: small bites at a time. When you feel like you have to climb the entire mountain by yourself, you are too intimidated, and put it off. When you just call someone on the g*d d@mned telephone, you often find they can get you to the next step, and keep the project in bite-sized chunks.

And there's nothing like a deadline to finally make us do it. But until then, there's nothing like a word puzzle and a google black hole to put it off for another day.....
I didn't quite catch some of that then because I didn't hear anything about fear of failure or boredom in there.

In my case, a pile of books is also a way of putting things off. I know there are always books that can help us but I start reading the right books & then move onto more interesting books. (Mind you, 1 of the things I'm procrastinating on is sorting out my room. I'm starting with my books but I end up throwing some which is what I should be doing, then I start reading books that keep giving me ideas for stories, poems or songs so I have to write instead, then I start reading interesting books which give recommendations for other books so I end up buying more. Sorting out puzzle books & adult colouring books is just as bad because I decide to get them out of the way by completing them which takes ages. I sort music out at the same time by listening to it at the same time. I sort out my wardrobe but then get the urge to buy more clothes.)

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw a TV documentary which featured this absolutely beautiful park in Croatia.

@don_fabio

It's a national park and a beautiful place, like a fairy tale. We went there couple of times, it's a 2 hour drive from where I live. It wasn't even a sunny day when they shot this, would be more stunning that way. In the winter it gets covered in snow, which is pretty cool. It's a 4 seasons climate so the nature changes the colours.

Reactions: Kieran and tented