The Frontier Chat Bar

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
frontierbar.jpg

Welcome to the Tennis Frontier Bar. Chew the fat with fellow posters...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
[split] The Castle

frontierbar.jpg

Is this where all the bad guys hang out? I recognise a few of them from the photo. Daveed Calbandian on the left, a large bowl of monkey nuts in his hand. There's sister Moxie looking sumptuous in the red dress. Nice bowler hat, Denisovich!

See the guy with the red beard, looks like Van Gogh, carrying a jar of Budvar? That's Riotbeard. Usually he drinks whiskey straight, but Britbox was too stingy to draw a whiskey, so Riotbeard downsized his operation. You get a grander riot on beer, anyway, more spillage and broken glass. The old firewater makes men mad. Dangerous. And to be honest, when you go to the Frontier bar wearing your sheep Dolly's new haircut for trousers, you don't look dangerous, do ya? Bad choice, feller!

Steffi Graf on the wall, flashing one of them trinkets she stole from Seles. Happy for ya, Steffi! Monica was lying in hospital at death's door when that photo was taken. Big smile, now, Steffi!

See the guy at the front, with his gun ready to shoot me (I'm the Big Hat)? That's Front, from Cork. He saw me sleeve an ace. Watch how quick I draw and kill him in the next photo.

Guy on the right, chatting up the delicious waitress? That's Britbox. Nasty feller! Once saw him punch a cow for mooing when he oughter have been shooing. The beast looked puzzled for a moment, then fell. Best punch of a cow I ever saw.

El Dude's behind the bar, wondering who's gonna start the shootin', while Broken is playing banjo with Jhar tickling ol' Joanna.

And all under the watchful head of Moosetoor...

Reactions: Moxie and britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[split] The Frontier Bar

Clap, clap... Laughing out loud.

Funnily enough, I was considering doing one of those silhoutte versions underneath and suggesting people put posters names to them.

Mooseter... classic ***

Just so everyone knows this is just a general chat thread. Talk about what you want. No guidelines, no worrying about moving off-topic... that kind of stuff.

Mine's a bourbon on the rocks. Get to it El Dude! I'm thirsty.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The Frontier Bar Volume 1

Okay, but first, apologies to Denisovich. You finally changed hats. They must have surgically removed your bowler hat, you wear it so often, and for the group photo you wore your Sunday best tophat, doubtless with a glass of Russian homebrew concealed underneath.

So let me kick things off. I don't like bad manners. I don't like the modern way that people expect to come in a door before letting you out. It makes me barge through them and leave them grumbling and confused. I was coming out of the carpark in the city this morning and a whole family of fools start walking through at the same time. Protocol, people, I barked at them and shoved them aside. He moaned and I snapped: let people out first!

Can't stand it.

Don't like when I hold a door open for someone and they stroll through and don't acknowledge. Happened the other day in town, I held the door of the Stephen's Green shopping centre open for a goon who was heading out. He wandered by dreamily, didn't even nod, so I let it go at the last second and it bumped his shoulder. He didn't miss a beat, just corrected his stride and zombiely walked forward.

Now, if I'm ever chatting to you and one of your brats interrupts, do the right thing and tell them not to speak when the adults are talking, right? Cos if you don't, I'll pull you up on it in front of your kid.

I don't like bad language in front of women and old folks.

Don't talk with your mouth full, especially if it's full of bull-sugar.

Anything else bugs me and I'll be in touch...

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Kieran said:
Steffi Graf on the wall, flashing one of them trinkets she stole from Seles. Happy for ya, Steffi! Monica was lying in hospital at death's door when that photo was taken. Big smile, now, Steffi!

LOL!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
Okay, but first, apologies to Denisovich. You finally changed hats. They must have surgically removed your bowler hat, you wear it so often, and for the group photo you wore your Sunday best tophat, doubtless with a glass of Russian homebrew concealed underneath.

So let me kick things off. I don't like bad manners. I don't like the modern way that people expect to come in a door before letting you out. It makes me barge through them and leave them grumbling and confused. I was coming out of the carpark in the city this morning and a whole family of fools start walking through at the same time. Protocol, people, I barked at them and shoved them aside. He moaned and I snapped: let people out first!

Can't stand it.

Don't like when I hold a door open for someone and they stroll through and don't acknowledge. Happened the other day in town, I held the door of the Stephen's Green shopping centre open for a goon who was heading out. He wandered by dreamily, didn't even nod, so I let it go at the last second and it bumped his shoulder. He didn't miss a beat, just corrected his stride and zombiely walked forward.

Now, if I'm ever chatting to you and one of your brats interrupts, do the right thing and tell them not to speak when the adults are talking, right? Cos if you don't, I'll pull you up on it in front of your kid.

Bravo on the first post. I am comfortable with my character. I think the whiskey does make me loose with the profanity in front of women.

Mooseter is classic. Also great work with the picture britbox!

I am with you on the death of manners. By big related pet-peeve is cell/smart phone manners. I had friends in town two weeks ago, and they both have smart phones and we are out to lunch, and one of them is checking their phone internet stuff (I have avoided the smart phone, I just bought a new regular cell phone for a dollar!). So I say, can you wait until we leave lunch and some sort of joke, and then they get mad at me like I am the jerk. You are fiddling with your phone at the table of the restaurant. These people (some of my best friends who I love) throughout the whole trip are constantly taking pictures of food and people. Can we not just enjoy the moment?!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

It's funny you say that. I met my Chinese pal for lunch the other day and she always takes a photo of her lunch and posts it on some social site. Always. And I've seen it before, a table full of Orientals taking photos of their scran with the phones, then uploading it to facebook, or wherever. It's a phenomenon called pepperazzi, apparently.

I'd be quite blunt with anyone messing with their phone at a dinner table. I'd actually tell them to put it away. I brought my parents on holidays a couple of years ago and there was only us and another couple at the table beside us, in the restaurant. They were both on their phones, typing messages. My mother said, loud enough to hear, 'that's couple haven't spoken a word to each other since they got here, they're just playing with their phones.'

They looked up mortified (my ma forgets that Johnny Foreigner might have some lingo) and put their phones away. It should be banned in restaurents, actually...

An interesting side issue, of course, is how rude you should be in dealing with rudeness. I'm not a confrontational sort (no, seriously!) so when I see bad manners it's often a case of wondering what to do. Is it bad manners to point out bad manners in others?

I think not, as it happens...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

I don't think it is bad manners to point somebody else's bad manners (if it is done in a nice and polite way). Some people maybe don't even realize that what they do ticks other people off and annoy them so it would be OK to tell them. Actually the manner in which to tell them depends on your relationship with that person.

I don't find it so annoying if people type or send messages during meal time as long as it is not constantly and during conversation. But sending a couple of little messages while at dinner, is not a big crime to me. I don't do it very often, but if I have to, I appologize and make it as short as possible.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Billie said:
I don't think it is bad manners to point somebody else's bad manners (if it is done in a nice and polite way). Some people maybe don't even realize that what they do ticks other people off and annoy them so it would be OK to tell them. Actually the manner in which to tell them depends on your relationship with that person.

I don't find it so annoying if people type or send messages during meal time as long as it is not constantly and during conversation. But sending a couple of little messages while at dinner, is not a big crime to me. I don't do it very often, but if I have to, I appologize and make it as short as possible.

I think you at the very least need to acknowledge that you need to send a text, apologize, and really text in your lap (if you follow me), and in general I would say even this needs to be avoided, but sometimes you are coordinating plans after from dinner, etc.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:

Can't stand it.

I can identify with those. Good manners cost nothing, as the old saying goes.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

What about people who dont drink :D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Billie said:

Just imagine I bring you out to dinner, Billie (calm down now, sheesh! :p) and it's just to be the pair of us, to chat and catch up and spend time together - and I spend time texting and updating my social pages and chatting tennis here on the forum.

It would be like saying to you that your company isn't good enough for me. I'm here with you, but I haven't given you my undivided attention and reserve the right to be distracted enough that I'll contact others and carry on private conversations by text - right in front of you.

I think that would be rude, no?

tennisville said:
What about people who dont drink :D

There's a show in the back room for them... ;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

I am hurt, Kieran. After I confirmed I like good manners and after I said that if I know something is annoying to you, do you really think I would start texting during a fictional dinner between the two of us. In spite of what you think, I am a very sweet girl and I would never do that to you. :D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

It broke me little heart when I began to say something intimate and you said, "uh? I just have to send a couple of texts, hold that thought, won't you..?" :blush:

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

Kieran said:
It broke me little heart when I began to say something intimate and you said, "uh? I just have to send a couple of texts, hold that thought, won't you..?" :blush:

I think you have somewhat wrong opinion of me, I don't text that often at all, sometimes with my sister, a couple of my friends and sometimes if I can't watch Nole play and I need to know the score.

This was fun, thanks.:D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Billie said:
Kieran said:

I think you have somewhat wrong opinion of me, I don't text that often at all, sometimes with my sister, a couple of my friends and sometimes if I can't watch Nole play and I need to know the score.

This was fun, thanks.:D

That's three texts and a loud Whoopee before the main course. I'll forgive it, but only because it was be a waste of good soup to dip your phone in it... :p

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

LOL....BB this thread is a big hit...that is if you are a big mouth like me and Kieran and like to "talk".:D Have a great evening K!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

You too, Billie. I hope you're not in a restaurant right now, by the way.

Just kidding! Take care... :)