The Book Shelf

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

Thanks, Tented, for the link. I will watch it during the week. I still owe ourselves one or two posts on the translation thread (I watched the last video in two parts, first the initial talks, later the questions, my previous post was after I saw part I. A lot of interesting points there).

I read Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude and I guess I know the book reasonably well. Also, Portuguese and Spanish are quite similar and the translation from one to another is, relatively speaking, an easy task. It is also made easier by the fact that there is a very large number of people who speak well both languages, in and out of the academic world. So I hope I can contribute in fun here.

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
No. Not yet. It's on my T.B.R. list.

Oh, good! I love it. It’s one of my all-time favorites. Not on the level of Ulysses and Anna Karenina, but close, and certainly in the Top 5. It’s not a coincidence he won a Nobel Prize. I also suggest you try to avoid any spoilers. It would be best to come to it knowing as little as possible, IMO.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Oh, good! I love it. It’s one of my all-time favorites. Not on the level of Ulysses and Anna Karenina, but close, and certainly in the Top 5. It’s not a coincidence he won a Nobel Prize. I also suggest you try to avoid any spoilers. It would be best to come to it knowing as little as possible, IMO.
That's great. Ulysses is also on my T.B.R. list. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for the reminder! At the very least, I'll listen to that Molly Bloom speech you linked to. Happy Bloomsday, all!

Reactions: tented and Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"...O and the sea the sea crimson
sometimes like fire and the glorious sunsets and the figtrees in the Alameda gardens yes and all the
queer little streets and the pink and blue and yellow houses and the rosegardens and the jessamine
and geraniums and cactuses and Gibraltar as a girl where I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I
put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me
under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my
eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I
put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes
and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

Horsa

Reactions
I'm re-reading "A tale of 2 cities" at the moment.

Horsa

Reactions
Bookish questions

1- favorite book?
2- least favorite book?
3- most overhyped series?
4- best “read in one sitting” book?
5- fav genre?
6- book or movie version of your fav book?
7- contemporary or fantasy?
8- standalone or series?

My answers

1. Villette
2. The plumed serpent
3. I don't/haven't read a series
4. The professor
5. Classic
6. Book
7. Contemporary
8. Standalone

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
A while ago I produced something I guess our book loving folks here will like, a part story/part interview of a guy who sells books close to where I live. Lovely figure. I just translated it (hopefully not that poorly) so you guys could give it a read. You can find the link here:

Horsa

Reactions
I've just finished reading the Winter orphan by Cathy Sharp. I didn't like it but a friend gave me it. I'm going to have a break from reading after I've finished the Mill on the Floss in 2 days time which I'm really enjoying as starting next week my homework is to write a report on the evolution of the horse from eohippus to equus przewalski & equus caballus & man's relationship with the horse through time so I'll be reading lots of books about horses. (No, I'm not cheating. I've been told it's a research task & I'm to use all the resources I have. It gives me a chance to get off the computer while doing my archiving homework.) This week my homework is online training. I'm really going to enjoy the task I start next week.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
Since no-one can physically go anywhere except to the shop, work, for a walk & in the garden because of the Coronavirus restrictions, I thought I'd ask where you were being transported to (for a few hours anyway) in the book you're reading at the moment (with the aid of your imagination, of course). (Imaginations are sometimes wonderful things.)

For me, it's Lascaux, Altamira, Niaux, Africa, Mongolia, Russia, the Ukraine, Poland, the Camargue, Shetland & Germany as well as into the Copper Age.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Since no-one can physically go anywhere except to the shop, work, for a walk & in the garden because of the Coronavirus restrictions, I thought I'd ask where you were being transported to (for a few hours anyway) in the book you're reading at the moment (with the aid of your imagination, of course). (Imaginations are sometimes wonderful things.)

For me, it's Lascaux, Altamira, Niaux, Africa, Mongolia, Russia, the Ukraine, Poland, the Camargue, Shetland & Germany as well as into the Copper Age.

I’m rereading Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall & Bring up the Bodies, before reading The Mirror and the Light, the final part of the Thomas Cromwell trilogy.

Reactions: Horsa

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Bookish questions

1- favorite book?
2- least favorite book?
5- fav genre?
8- standalone or series?

My answers

1. Villette
2. The plumed serpent
3. I don't/haven't read a series
4. The professor
5. Classic
6. Book
7. Contemporary
8. Standalone

1, Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
2, Tess of the d'Urbervilles
3, Hard to say
4, Almost anything by Stephen Donaldson
5, Spy thrillers
6, None I've seen
7, Depends on my mood
8, Hard to say

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I’m rereading Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall & Bring up the Bodies, before reading The Mirror and the Light, the final part of the Thomas Cromwell trilogy.
I tried reading the 1st 2 books after being recommended them when I worked in a library. I didn't like them as I'm too squeamish to read anything like that. I force myself to finish proper history books which are too gory for me but not historical fiction. I also normally hate reading historical fiction or any history book for that matter that isn't in chronological order (my present book is an exception) as it makes me want to rewrite it in chronological order. I'm glad you liked them though & I do normally like reading historical fiction. (Not in this case though. I had friends who recommended Phillippa Gregory books to me. I didn't like them either as they were too gory as well.)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"Rereading" them? That's impressive.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bookish questions

1- favorite book?
2- least favorite book?
5- fav genre?
8- standalone or series?

1. I think your favorite book can only be something that you read when you were young, so The Phantom Tollbooth, or The Sun Also Rises.
2. Usually I stop reading if I don't like them, but I did hate "We need to talk about Kevin."
3. Don't read series books. No reason.
4. Pride and Prejudice
5. Not so much of a "genre" reader
6. This has been said before, but "The Godfather" was a trashy novel and yet made a great film
7. Contemporary
8. Stand alone. I don't even read 2 books in a row by the same author, no matter how much I liked the previous one. I need a palate cleanser.

Horsa

Reactions
Bookish questions

1- favorite book?
2- least favorite book?
5- fav genre?
8- standalone or series?

1. I think your favorite book can only be something that you read when you were young, so The Phantom Tollbooth, or The Sun Also Rises.
2. Usually I stop reading if I don't like them, but I did hate "We need to talk about Kevin."
3. Don't read series books. No reason.
4. Pride and Prejudice
5. Not so much of a "genre" reader
6. This has been said before, but "The Godfather" was a trashy novel and yet made a great film
7. Contemporary
8. Stand alone. I don't even read 2 books in a row by the same author, no matter how much I liked the previous one. I need a palate cleanser.
I first read my favourite book when I was in my mid-late teens.
I normally stop reading books if I don't like them. I didn't get through the whole of "The Plumed Serpent" but know it's the worst book I read as I gave up when the bull was goring the horse in the stomach.

That's impressive. It normally takes me 4 days to read Pride & Prejudice.