The Book Shelf

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Returning to the subject of the OP, though, I recently read American Caesar about General Douglas MacArthur, which was a marvelous read i must tell y'all. What an endlessly fascinating character was The General. I am not also in the midst of reading The Facemaker about the British plastic surgeon who rebuilt men's faces during and after the First World War and who is credited with jumpstarting that area of medicine into becoming what it has in the last 100 years around the globe. This was Dr. Howard Gillies by the way.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm currently working through a series called the Ringing Cedars of Russia.

I'd describe this series as a mix of pulling together fantasy, spiritualism, self-awareness and common sense.

Almost like the Bible meeting Tolkien and having a discussion.

Terrific reading!

Reactions: Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You can find the vast majority of books in digital format here:

Although, I'd suggest supporting the author and buying a hard copy if you find it any good.

Many of the downloads are PDF but a lot are EPUB, and to a lesser extent MOBI. There are plenty of free converters online - i.e. search for Epub to PDF converter.

Last edited:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Since passing a book-keeping exam on Wednesday, I've had more time to relax, read, sew, knit, make hats & draw when not working. I've finished "Love of my Life" but rather than going straight on to "Your Brain on Music" I went on to reading "Bohemian Rhapsody" & "Freddie Mercury In His Own Words" (which I borrowed off my Sister).

I didn't like everything I read in "Love of my Life" but I found it interesting & thought-provoking & learnt a lot.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anyone read "The Philosophy of Modern Song" by Bob Dylan? I'm thinking particularly of @Kieran, who is a big fan. Honestly, Kieran, you might have written it. It's random, opinionated, wanders off-topic, and has great graphics and illustrations. I got it out of the library, but I think it might be worth owning. Definitely something you can paw over and revisit.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Has anyone read "The Philosophy of Modern Song" by Bob Dylan? I'm thinking particularly of @Kieran, who is a big fan. Honestly, Kieran, you might have written it. It's random, opinionated, wanders off-topic, and has great graphics and illustrations. I got it out of the library, but I think it might be worth owning. Definitely something you can paw over and revisit.
I haven’t yet. Have you finished it?

I get everything Bob but this was too expensive at the time and I put my foot down. Momentarily. I’ll get it because Bob only has to mumble and I love it.

Did you finish it? Have you read Chronicles?

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
No, but it sounds interesting. I might have to get hold of a copy & read it when I get a chance. (I've been very busy recently & I'll be even busier in a couple of weeks time when I start on the accounting course I'm being sent on from work. I do have something I can share with you though.) That sounds like my cup of tea.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I haven’t yet. Have you finished it?

I get everything Bob but this was too expensive at the time and I put my foot down. Momentarily. I’ll get it because Bob only has to mumble and I love it.

Did you finish it? Have you read Chronicles?
I haven't finished it, or read Chronicles. This one you can just pick through a song at a time. It's not a story. It's lots of fun. Get it out of your library. Maybe Santa will give it to you for Christmas.

Reactions: Kieran and tented

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't finished it, or read Chronicles. This one you can just pick through a song at a time. It's not a story. It's lots of fun. Get it out of your library. Maybe Santa will give it to you for Christmas.
I’ll get it when it comes out in paperback. Bob is on a roll. His live shows since covid are splendid, his most recent record of new songs - Rough and Rowdy Ways - stands in comparison with his best records. It gave him his first number 1 chart single in the US, with his lengthy tragic lament for JFK, Murder Most Foul. He released the book, he recently released a record of re-worked early songs (Shadow Kingdom) which displays his trademark strength in how diversely he approaches familiar songs, he released in January a 5 CD box set in his Bootleg Series which focuses on his giant 1997 record, Time Out of Mind. He paints, he welds ornate gates. He’s exceptionally creative.

I’m on a Bob Dylan forum too and the book created a stir. Firstly there were accusations of misogyny, both because he included so few female songwriters, and because in some of the song commentaries he makes what some people have represented as being misogynistic judgements. Obviously I like a good ruck so I researched the offending phrases regarding vaginal teeth and childless marriages among other things, and an interesting barney ensued. Leaving aside people’s willingness to bring their politics everywhere, one mistake people make with Dylan’s art is to assume that he’s easily found in there. That his personal views are found in his art. But Dylan doesn’t want us to know him. For such a long public life, few things can be started about him with certainty. He jealously protects his privacy. His public utterances are often found to be bizarre, provocative, dismissive. Chronicles is a great book, an autobiography of sorts, but only if we know that Dylan is the archetypal unreliable witness. He takes creative, often subversive, views of things because it suits him, and also to provoke. Chronicles gives us ‘Bob Dylan’, but it isn’t a literal autobiography. It’s an impression of him, that’s filled with swarthy fictions mingling easily among fact. It tells us who he is, but only to the extent that we glean the man through the proverbial glass darkly. And yet, it’s a compelling, beautiful book that’s true in substance.

One of the questions I asked the complainers about the new book was if they detected any constructed ‘philosophy of modern song’ in The Philosophy of Modern Song, and if so, what did it consists of. Dylan isn’t the type to sit and formulate a philosophy for such a loose collective term, yet he’s very philosophical. So why did he call it that? Because he likes the title, maybe?

Bob is strange, and he goes deep. We come at him on his terms, which is how it should be. Our terms would be insufficient for him to still create great at. I’m looking forward to reading it, but just haven’t gotten it yet. So many things he releases, but I will get to it!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’ll get it when it comes out in paperback. Bob is on a roll. His live shows since covid are splendid, his most recent record of new songs - Rough and Rowdy Ways - stands in comparison with his best records. It gave him his first number 1 chart single in the US, with his lengthy tragic lament for JFK, Murder Most Foul. He released the book, he recently released a record of re-worked early songs (Shadow Kingdom) which displays his trademark strength in how diversely he approaches familiar songs, he released in January a 5 CD box set in his Bootleg Series which focuses on his giant 1997 record, Time Out of Mind. He paints, he welds ornate gates. He’s exceptionally creative.

I’m on a Bob Dylan forum too and the book created a stir. Firstly there were accusations of misogyny, both because he included so few female songwriters, and because in some of the song commentaries he makes what some people have represented as being misogynistic judgements. Obviously I like a good ruck so I researched the offending phrases regarding vaginal teeth and childless marriages among other things, and an interesting barney ensued. Leaving aside people’s willingness to bring their politics everywhere, one mistake people make with Dylan’s art is to assume that he’s easily found in there. That his personal views are found in his art. But Dylan doesn’t want us to know him. For such a long public life, few things can be started about him with certainty. He jealously protects his privacy. His public utterances are often found to be bizarre, provocative, dismissive. Chronicles is a great book, an autobiography of sorts, but only if we know that Dylan is the archetypal unreliable witness. He takes creative, often subversive, views of things because it suits him, and also to provoke. Chronicles gives us ‘Bob Dylan’, but it isn’t a literal autobiography. It’s an impression of him, that’s filled with swarthy fictions mingling easily among fact. It tells us who he is, but only to the extent that we glean the man through the proverbial glass darkly. And yet, it’s a compelling, beautiful book that’s true in substance.

One of the questions I asked the complainers about the new book was if they detected any constructed ‘philosophy of modern song’ in The Philosophy of Modern Song, and if so, what did it consists of. Dylan isn’t the type to sit and formulate a philosophy for such a loose collective term, yet he’s very philosophical. So why did he call it that? Because he likes the title, maybe?

Bob is strange, and he goes deep. We come at him on his terms, which is how it should be. Our terms would be insufficient for him to still create great at. I’m looking forward to reading it, but just haven’t gotten it yet. So many things he releases, but I will get to it!
If this had been written by a music critic of note, say Greil Markus, then I would say you could complain about inclusions and exclusions, as it would be taken as, and expected to be something more academic and an attempt at a canon. And/or, an actual philosophy. However, you put Bob Dylan's name on the cover, and you know this is going to be a singular vision. He may as well have called it "Random Impressions of Some Songs - a Really Quirky List that No One Would Have Put Together But Me." What until you read him waxing on about Perry Como. And Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves"....seriously, Bob? But it makes for great lovely, poetic writing about the way that song, for example, bumps off of his brain. Is there a "philosophy" to any of it? Not that I have yet discerned.

I do not find it misogynistic. I will say this: Talking to a friend about this book, she said, "I'm more of a Leonard Cohen fan." I said, "Me, too. Leonard Cohen is for girls and Bob Dylan is for boys." And we both laughed and acknowledged that was rather true. Not very PC, but there it is. :lulz1:

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If this had been written by a music critic of note, say Greil Markus, then I would say you could complain about inclusions and exclusions, as it would be taken as, and expected to be something more academic and an attempt at a canon. And/or, an actual philosophy. However, you put Bob Dylan's name on the cover, and you know this is going to be a singular vision. He may as well have called it "Random Impressions of Some Songs - a Really Quirky List that No One Would Have Put Together But Me." What until you read him waxing on about Perry Como. And Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves"....seriously, Bob? But it makes for great lovely, poetic writing about the way that song, for example, bumps off of his brain. Is there a "philosophy" to any of it? Not that I have yet discerned.
That’s it. And he could have added in brackets to that new title you wrote, (& Come Back To Me In Ten Years and I’ll Write About The Exact Same Songs Again And Hopefully You’ll Enjoy The Contradictions.)

It’s the way we all listen to songs, really. Not as imaginatively as Dylan, but just as subjective and romantically.
I do not find it misogynistic. I will say this: Talking to a friend about this book, she said, "I'm more of a Leonard Cohen fan." I said, "Me, too. Leonard Cohen is for girls and Bob Dylan is for boys." And we both laughed and acknowledged that was rather true. Not very PC, but there it is. :lulz1:
Well I love old Lennie too, and what I’ll say about these two old boys, they grew old well, no BS or nostalgia, just old creative souls like Michelangelo was and Picasso, still struggling at the highest levels to discover their art..

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Greil Marcus? Big fan of both Bob and The Band. Writes a good article.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s it. And he could have added in brackets to that new title you wrote, (& Come Back To Me In Ten Years and I’ll Write About The Exact Same Songs Again And Hopefully You’ll Enjoy The Contradictions.)
Exactly! LOL.
It’s the way we all listen to songs, really. Not as imaginatively as Dylan, but just as subjective and romantically.
That's the thing I hadn't yet thought of about this book, but it's a very elaborate and Dylan-esque version of the pictures and landscapes, memories and evocations that at least some songs have for all of us. Maybe no one but me sees a specific quality of early autumn light, feels that particular rumble at the back of a school bus, wearing that favorite shirt when they hear "Maggie Mae." I'm sure we could all write that slim volume, "Some Memories of of a Few Songs." I'd hope no one would complain about what we'd left out.
Well I love old Lennie too, and what I’ll say about these two old boys, they grew old well, no BS or nostalgia, just old creative souls like Michelangelo was and Picasso, still struggling at the highest levels to discover their art..
So true! Of course, I didn't mean to imply that men don't love Leonard Cohen, or that women don't love Dylan. That comment also comes from a very non-PC, hyper-binary game that we play in my family on occasion. It's just free-association on words/places/objects. For example: "Toronto?" "Male" "Correct!" "Montreal" "Female" "Correct!" These are not correct answers, but we laugh because we agree. Or we debate, for no really good reason. Peanut butter v. Jelly. (There is an answer.) Or we get stumped. (Perhaps we should add "non-binary." That would solve a few.) It's a load of silliness. But silliness is one of the glues that hangs my family together.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly! LOL.

That's the thing I hadn't yet thought of about this book, but it's a very elaborate and Dylan-esque version of the pictures and landscapes, memories and evocations that at least some songs have for all of us. Maybe no one but me sees a specific quality of early autumn light, feels that particular rumble at the back of a school bus, wearing that favorite shirt when they hear "Maggie Mae." I'm sure we could all write that slim volume, "Some Memories of of a Few Songs." I'd hope no one would complain about what we'd left out.
Sorry, didn’t see this reply, but yeah that’s what I feel too. We can’t help but associate songs with ourselves, or circumstances, whoever we love, wherever we live, whatever we see. Dylan caught flak for not having more female writers or singers, because he’s Dylan and people like to try drag him down, improve him, write him off, etc. Admirably, he seems oblivious to this. Actually you know, I doubt unusual for men to listen to more male singers, and women probably listen to more females. We tend to hear our own experiences in songs. And of course there’s crossovers that we all listen to.

It’s not as bad as the self-inflicted, shot-himself-in-the-foot scandal Jann Wenner brought on himself, regarding a new book of interview he wrote:
Asked why he didn’t interview women or Black musicians, Wenner responded: “It’s not that they’re inarticulate, although, go have a deep conversation with Grace Slick or Janis Joplin. Please, be my guest. You know, Joni (Mitchell) was not a philosopher of rock ’n’ roll. She didn’t, in my mind, meet that test,” he told the Times.

“Of Black artists — you know, Stevie Wonder, genius, right? I suppose when you use a word as broad as ‘masters,’ the fault is using that word. Maybe Marvin Gaye, or Curtis Mayfield? I mean, they just didn’t articulate at that level,” Wenner said.

What a fecking idiot, and I’ve heard other terrible things about him which may only be gossip, but this is just ignorant beyond belief.

So true! Of course, I didn't mean to imply that men don't love Leonard Cohen, or that women don't love Dylan. That comment also comes from a very non-PC, hyper-binary game that we play in my family on occasion. It's just free-association on words/places/objects. For example: "Toronto?" "Male" "Correct!" "Montreal" "Female" "Correct!" These are not correct answers, but we laugh because we agree. Or we debate, for no really good reason. Peanut butter v. Jelly. (There is an answer.) Or we get stumped. (Perhaps we should add "non-binary." That would solve a few.) It's a load of silliness. But silliness is one of the glues that hangs my family together.

Canada? Non-binary, soy drinking, blue hair.
America? Male, but suffering an identity crisis.
Ireland? Ask me in the morning!

It’s a good game! I think these games can tend towards being hilarious, just because we get to say the things that are silly and often indefensible, though trying to defend them makes them even funnier!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry, didn’t see this reply, but yeah that’s what I feel too. We can’t help but associate songs with ourselves, or circumstances, whoever we love, wherever we live, whatever we see. Dylan caught flak for not having more female writers or singers, because he’s Dylan and people like to try drag him down, improve him, write him off, etc. Admirably, he seems oblivious to this. Actually you know, I doubt unusual for men to listen to more male singers, and women probably listen to more females. We tend to hear our own experiences in songs. And of course there’s crossovers that we all listen to.
Agreed that we listen to music that closely reflects our experience...be it as women/men, cultural experience, identity, etc. It "sings" to us, as it were. But most of us cross over A LOT. Mostly because music is universal. Plus, hey, it's got a good beat, and we like to dance to it!
It’s not as bad as the self-inflicted, shot-himself-in-the-foot scandal Jann Wenner brought on himself, regarding a new book of interview he wrote:

What a fecking idiot, and I’ve heard other terrible things about him which may only be gossip, but this is just ignorant beyond belief.
This is exactly the difference I was trying to articulate above, between Dylan offering some personal contemplations on his esoteric choice of songs, and someone with control over the canon doing it. (If women can actually be "articulate." LOL.) Wenner isn't just a "fecking idiot." He's someone who had the ability to control who we listened to, what we thought of them, and who was included or excluded, including in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Perhaps he's done us all a favor by exposing his prejudices, so that we can rethink the canon, knowing that someone as influential as Wenner had his thumb on the scale.
Canada? Non-binary, soy drinking, blue hair.
America? Male, but suffering an identity crisis.
Ireland? Ask me in the morning!

It’s a good game! I think these games can tend towards being hilarious, just because we get to say the things that are silly and often indefensible, though trying to defend them makes them even funnier!
The game IS hilarious, most especially because you pretend there are correct answers. I reminded my brother of it this morning. I asked him peanut butter, and jelly, and he got both correct. He got sun right, but moon wrong.

You are correct that the US is male. Canada might be non-binary, being less-warlike, but what about all that hockey, eh? Ireland is difficult, but there is a correct answer. Let's see if you get it in the morning. :popcorn :lulz1:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dylan had a little help.

As in, he made a pact with the devil like Robert Johnson? I like that he admits he's not as loose and nimble as when he was a kid. His mind and the free-verse times meshed perfectly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
As in, he made a pact with the devil like Robert Johnson? I like that he admits he's not as loose and nimble as when he was a kid. His mind and the free-verse times meshed perfectly.
I’m not too sure when that interview was but I think it was post-1996, when Dylan said he was reading the Bible and the line popped out at him: “I must work while the day lasts, for the night of death cometh when no man can work.”

And since then he’s been fairly busy. I’d expect the hoary old cliche about meeting the devil at the crossroads from the Rolling Stones, or somebody like them. He’s often says those songs he wrote when he was younger are beyond him now, but it depends on the interview. Sometimes he says that he ignores the more abstract or obscure lines and prefers to write lines that speak directly to him. His modern songs use a lot of intertextuality and references to many cultures, but brought together in a very cool Dylanesque way. He’s very adaptable. Saw him perform in Dublin in November and he was in magnificent form. I recommend that anyone go see him while they can, the night of death cometh, etc, but he’s still working hard!