Tennis books

Alien

Reactions
Apart from the obvious like Open or Outsider, please recommend books here. I aman avid reader.

Just read World Class. Enormous. If you love tennis, you cannot miss it. Fiction but too real.

Now that World Class introduced me to the preopen era,  I am reading a French one about the Mousquetaires. So far so good, starting with Lenglen losing 6-0 in a set with Tilden and crying in the lockers.

Not clear if she was hot though.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I read very little fiction these days... prefer non-fiction.  Agassi's book was above average and Bill Scanlon wrote a half decent read.  Sampras' book was pretty drab other than the section that gave his take on the fellow pros at the time.

mikecase

Club Member
Reactions
I recommend "A Terrible Splendour" by Marshall Fisher. Its about Budge v Van Cramm in the 1937 Davis Cup. Might sound dull but it's great reading. Lots of social issues like the west v facism. Bit like an East v West atmosphere from the cold war.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I loved 'Open' I was a huge Agassi fan,I knew he had a bad back problem.After reading the opening chapter I cried,he had to sleep on a bare floor for starters.I read Pete Sampras auto biography,never was a Sampras fan,though appreciated his skills,my husband was his No 1 fan:)

I am currently reading Rod Laver 'A Memoir',my dad watched Laver live,he told me he was the most 'complete tennis player he had seen'.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sampras book was as dull as **** in the main. The only bit I enjoyed was the appendix where he broke down how he felt facing other players on the tour - Edberg, Becker, lendl, Agassi etc.. that part was quite interesting.

It took me about 3 months to read Pete's book because I used to force myself to finish what I started. I quit books much earlier these days if I'm not enjoying them. Agassi's book - I finished it in one day - far more interesting.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sampras book was as dull as **** in the main. The only bit I enjoyed was the appendix where he broke down how he felt facing other players on the tour - Edberg, Becker, lendl, Agassi etc.. that part was quite interesting.

It took me about 3 months to read Pete's book because I used to force myself to finish what I started. I quit books much earlier these days if I'm not enjoying them. Agassi's book - I finished it in one day - far more interesting.

I must admit I too struggled to finish reading Pete's autobiography,though my husband calls it 'The Bible' :)