The 2014 US Open and Federer's Position

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Take a cue from the thread, "Federer is the Standard", I think it is fair to say Rogah
is going into New York this year in a position of strength, for the first time in 3 years, with tons of momentum, and various circumstances in his favor.

-His results since Wimbledon have been strong, with exceptional showings in Toronto and Cinci.

-He admitted to being a bit gassed, but he is injury free

-He is finally totally used to his new frame

Out of his control:

-Djokovic and Murray are playing sub par tennis

-Nadal is questionable for participation

Lastly, many of the pretenders have had almost no match play this summer like Nishikori, and some have been very inconsistent, like Cilic, Gulbis, and even JWT.

The stars have never been more aligned.:clap

N

NADAL2005RG

Federer is an unexpected luxury.
I had feared that Nadal would have to do everything himself for the next few years (Nadal the only player able to beat Djokovic at the slams for a while), but now Nadal has Federer to help him out.
I mean Nadal has won the last 4 slam meetings with Djokovic, but I still think Federer is the easier finals opponent.

Plus even if Federer is on Nadal side of the draw, it gives Nadal an exhaustion-free semi (Naderer don't play many long points these days, and their AO meeting only took 3 sets).
So assuming Federer isn't playing himself into the ground, I'm liking Federer's position very much indeed :clap

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
I had feared that Nadal would have to do everything himself for the next few years (Nadal the only player able to beat Djokovic at the slams for a while), but now Nadal has Federer to help him out.
I mean Nadal has won the last 4 slam meetings with Djokovic, but I still think Federer is the easier finals opponent.

Plus even if Federer is on Nadal side of the draw, it gives Nadal an exhaustion-free semi (Naderer don't play many long points these days, and their AO meeting only took 3 sets).
So assuming Federer isn't playing himself into the ground, I'm liking Federer's position very much indeed :clap

Certainly a unique and interesting post.:puzzled

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

2hDO9Dq.gif

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Luxilon Borg said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I know eh...It would even be relevant if the title of the thread was "The 2014 US Open and Federer's Position And How It Relates to Nadal's Chances in His Future Endeavours On The Tennis Court"

:lolz:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Luxilon Borg said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I know eh...It would even be relevant if the title of the thread was "The 2014 US Open and Federer's Position And How It Relates to Nadal's Chances in His Future Endeavours On The Tennis Court"

:lolz:

tumblr_mlosveFcUm1qkk3xyo1_250.jpg

tented

Administrator
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

Despite the official betting odds which GSM posted in another thread, I would consider Federer the second most likely player to win the US Open, with Djokovic being at the top of the list.

N

NADAL2005RG

If Federer can avoid playing Nadal, Djokovic and Tsonga, definitely Federer is the favorite.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
NADAL2005RG said:

Despite the official betting odds which GSM posted in another thread, I would consider Federer the second most likely player to win the US Open, with Djokovic being at the top of the list.

Essentially, I agree.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
If Federer can avoid playing Nadal, Djokovic and Tsonga, definitely Federer is the favorite.

Federer owns J W in 3 out of 5 set matches. Agree that he cannot beat Joker in 3 out 5 now.

Interestingly he has never, ever played Rafa N in New York.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Try to stay on topic guys.

No one really went off, and it's funny. Leave it to the mods. OK?

N

NADAL2005RG

Luxilon Borg said:
NADAL2005RG said:

Federer owns J W in 3 out of 5 set matches. Agree that he cannot beat Joker in 3 out 5 now.

Except for at 2011 Wimbledon and 2013 French Open.

Tsonga has looked the better player this summer, so I'll go with Tsonga if they meet at this here US Open.

It was puzzling when Federer played great at Cincy and then lost to Robredo at the US Open last year. I thought I was about to get my lifelong dream of a Naderer US Open clash, but no.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

I would switch Berdych for Tsonga, but keep Nadal and Djokovic.

N

NADAL2005RG

tented said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I would usually include Berdych, but I won't this year.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Luxilon Borg said:
NADAL2005RG said:

Except for at 2011 Wimbledon and 2013 French Open.

Tsonga has looked the better player this summer, so I'll go with Tsonga if they meet at this here US Open.

It was puzzling when Federer played great at Cincy and then lost to Robredo at the US Open last year. I thought I was about to get my lifelong dream of a Naderer US Open clash, but no.

The Robredo loss was among the most puzzling...wrong place wrong time...which brought me to the thread...this could be the right time and the right place...

Federer's situation a year ago could not be more different.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
tented said:
NADAL2005RG said:

I would usually include Berdych, but I won't this year.

Ya, M.I.A.....

N

NADAL2005RG

I think Federer was comparable at Cincy last year, compared to this year.
If we really analyze each match, last year's Cincy matches (vs Nadal, Haas, Kohl) may have been better than his matches this year.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
I think Federer was comparable at Cincy last year, compared to this year.
If we really analyze each match, last year's Cincy matches (vs Nadal, Haas, Kohl) may have been better than his matches this year.

I totally disagree.