The 2014 US Open and Federer's Position

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
For some one with such a prowess on hard courts, it is almost shocking to note that
Nole has just one USO.

But, I hope he keeps it up that way and let the old man win this time.

He can't play.:snigger

Well I certainly disagree and hope that is not the case...no more USOs for "the old man", it's enough.;)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Billie said:
Front242 said:
That's all up to him and how he plays. If he plays well with few lulls he can beat most in 3-4 sets in the early rounds. Unless he really plays poorly I can't see him having a 5 set match till meeting anyone halfway good.

Hey Front, you missed the action from Sunday...so congratulations! :D

Hey Billie,

Yeah, glad Roger finally won something decent as it's about time with the number of finals he'd lost this year before that. Was a bit shocked reading about the lapse in set 2 though. Losing a 6-1 set to Ferrer doesn't exactly fill fans with huge confidence for the USO though he's clearly one of the big favourites all the same. Not being able to meet Novak till the final is a huge boost.

It wasn't really one of those sets where Roger was missing everything in sight. He had a bad 1st serve % and a few poor volleys hurt him but it was mostly passive play. He wasn't putting much on the forehand and Ferrer was abusing him in neutral rallies. Then Roger got the memo in the 3rd and started pushing Ferrer around with the forehand, served a lot better, etc.

One thing's for sure against Nole and Rafa...Roger isn't beating those guys unless he is able to dictate with the forehand and end points fairly quick with it. In a way this last Wimbledon proved that...Roger did a lot of things great, serve was incredible, he moved and defended very well, played clutch and tough the first 4 sets but he wasn't able to push Nole around with the forehand and the result was he badly lost the baseline battle.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
GameSetAndMath said:
For some one with such a prowess on hard courts, it is almost shocking to note that
Nole has just one USO.

Well I certainly disagree and hope that is not the case...no more USOs for "the old man", it's enough.;)

The world is not enough my dear (and I'm not stealing that saying from a cheezy Bond film).

5 USO's certainly isn't enough, he should have had at least a couple more IMO :clap

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Billie said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Nole has just one USO.

The world is not enough my dear (and I'm not stealing that saying from a cheezy Bond film).

5 USO's certainly isn't enough, he should have had at least a couple more IMO :clap

Yeah, I know your opinion:) You might want to settle for 5 though. Unless Nole loses before the final, in that case you can have your 6th.:cool:

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Alright guys, thanks for engaging with me, it was nice...but time to get ready for work:blush:

Have a great day!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Roger also has a chance to take over the #2 spot if he can make the finals, by a very small margin, like 20 points or so. Is it significant? Not in my opinion. It only means there might be a couple of tournaments where we can witness a Rafa-Nole semi, that's all.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Roger also has a chance to take over the #2 spot if he can make the finals, by a very small margin, like 20 points or so. Is it significant? Not in my opinion. It only means there might be a couple of tournaments where we can witness a Rafa-Nole semi, that's all.

No, your arithmetic is wrong. Roger can overtake Rafa in rankings if and only if he wins
the USO outright.

Yes, doing so will be significant in multiple ways.

a. first and foremost, #18 increases the gap.
b. He has 50% chance of winning an event without defeating both
Rafa and Novak (even if they don't flame out early) in the remaining
tournaments of the year.
c. Finally, Novak won everything out there after USO last year and
so he pretty much cannot gain any more points after USO. This
gives Fed chances to sneak in to even #1. Also, Novak may be
forced to miss one or two tourneys due to fatherhood as well.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
soooooooo fed has a pretty big chance is all us fed fans are saying

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not saying Fed has a huge chance of winning USO.

However, I am saying that if he wins USO, he has a very good chance of
finishing the year as #1. If Roger wins USO and Novak ends up as a runner up,
then in the race Roger will be #2 trailing only Novak and that too
by just 500 points.

Wouldn't it be fun if Rog finishes as YE#1 at the ripe old age of 33 (and thus
tying Pete's record in that respect). :angel:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess we can call Nole a slight favourite but not a huge favourite...his recent poor performances aren't encouraging. he seems to be more interested by his private life than by tennis so wait and see but I hope Murray can take advantage of the situation and win USO. He worked hard with Amélie, hard work"ll give some good results one day

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The honeymoon is over for Nole - time for Jelena to begin her nagging. "Get out from under my feet all day - why don't you go play tennis with your mates?" :laydownlaughing

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
People are talking about Fed's increased chances, which of course I'm excited about, but let us not overlook the fact that this would be a great chance for a new Slam champion - Tsonga and Dimitrov come to mind, especially. I still think it will be Novak or Roger, with Andy a distant third, but any of those three could be upset and someone could swoop in a steal the show.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
^ I agree Dude, that we might see a new slam champion here. Different players have proved that when they are on, they can take a top guy out. An on fire Tsonga, Gulbis, Berdych , Dimitrov etc can beat one of the top guys and even if they go on to lose the next round (which they usually do) , they pave the way for a new guy to win it all. It is very possible.

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
The situation Djokovic is in reminds of the movie Rocky 3. Anyone? :D And Fed being Clubber Lang, of course.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Big Bad Wolf said:
The situation Djokovic is in reminds of the movie Rocky 3. Anyone? :D And Fed being Clubber Lang, of course.
:laydownlaughing
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_iiX1HepM[/video]

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
Riotbeard said:
The Big Bad Wolf said:
:laydownlaughing
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF_iiX1HepM[/video]

Wow hahahahahh this made my day :laydownlaughing I imagine Novak having a similar reaction if Roger ever said that :D

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
People are talking about Fed's increased chances, which of course I'm excited about, but let us not overlook the fact that this would be a great chance for a new Slam champion - Tsonga and Dimitrov come to mind, especially. I still think it will be Novak or Roger, with Andy a distant third, but any of those three could be upset and someone could swoop in a steal the show.

It's possible. But if one of those guys has to face Roger or Novak in the final... short of a Delpo like performance I don't see it. Delpo had that serial winner quality. Most of these guys are too flakey to really believe in their core. That's what it'll take. That's where Roger, Rafa and Novak stand apart. They believe.. deep in their gut they believe that it's their right. Note I don't mention Murray

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree, federberg, that if one of Novak and Roger is in the final, it is their title to lose. But imagine Novak being taken out by Tsonga or Wawrinka in the semifinal, and then imagine the same of Roger. We could have a Tsonga-Dimitrov final.

Unlikely, I know, but more possible than anytime in years.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
I agree, federberg, that if one of Novak and Roger is in the final, it is their title to lose. But imagine Novak being taken out by Tsonga or Wawrinka in the semifinal, and then imagine the same of Roger. We could have a Tsonga-Dimitrov final.

Unlikely, I know, but more possible than anytime in years.

Agree that with all the focus on Federer, Joker, and Murray, we are overlooking the fact we could have two outsiders in the final...just like when Joker played Tsonga in a surprise final to win his first Aussie...or how about the 1990 US Open when Sampras stomped Agassi?