Tennis General News

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A thread for general tennis news that applies to ITF, and both ATP and WTA.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
18 year old Lorenzo Musetti defeats Hanfmann 62 64 in Sardina Open becoming the first player born in 2002 to reach an ATP S/final.
Another Italian I can cheer for apart from Sinner, also he is easy on the eye:).....

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Am I missing something, or is US TV not playing the AO?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Am I missing something, or is US TV not playing the AO?
Other than the brief broadcasting by ESPN/ESPN2, I don’t think so. The Tennis Channel is showing replays, but no live coverage. I don’t remember a major being treated this way before. It’s a clear attempt by ESPN to get tennis fans to pay for ESPN+ — as if it isn’t already enough (in my case) having to pay for a special sports package in my cable subscription in order to get the Tennis Channel

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, I pay for a lot of ESPN, too, with my sports package, so that I can get Tennis Channel, and it's really insulting that they're being so stingy with the broadcasting of matches. What else is going on in the middle of the night?!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just to keep slagging on ESPN, in the hopes that someone from their side reads this: 9pm, they are supposed to go to AO coverage, (even though the tennis has been going on for 2 hours.) Except, oh, well, the basketball game isn't over. No, there is no tennis on any of their channels. Just this college basketball game. To add insult to injury, neither is there any tennis on ESPN+...so what is the point of having it, then? :face-with-symbols-on-mouth:

• Angry

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I checked Twitter, and Ben Rothenberg is getting after ESPN, and Wertheim has said that the outrage over Djokovic has been replaced by a new one, meaning ESPN's crappy lack of coverage. So they are catching flak for it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I checked Twitter, and Ben Rothenberg is getting after ESPN, and Wertheim has said that the outrage over Djokovic has been replaced by a new one, meaning ESPN's crappy lack of coverage. So they are catching flak for it.
I urge everyone with a Facebook account to go to their FB page, click on the link to message them, and let them know your thoughts on this.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My breakout star of the AO? Martina Navratilova's mini-dachshund, Lulu, the sleepiest dog in the world. :lulz1::rose:

• Love

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hallelujah! ESPN2 finally puts the tennis on broadcast at 7pm!

• Wow

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anyone else noticed that the flags have been removed next to the names of the Russian and Belarusian players on the ATP and WTA websites, the and the live rankings one?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here's a funny question, and it has to do with flags, and came to my mind because @MargaretMcAleer was saying that the AO is cautioning people about waving Russian and Belarus flags. Currently, AO website and ATP/WTA are showing a blank next to the names of Russian/Belarusian players. This is political, and we all know why. But why do they put flags by there names, at all? They play as individuals, not for a country, with the exception of some events like Olympics, Fed Cup, Davis Cup, United Cup, and sort of Laver Cup. So why are they always shown with a flag?

I have no opinion about this, just a curiousity. I get why you would wave a Spanish flag to support Rafa, or why the Fed fans and Novak fans face paint, etc. It's a way of showing support. Showing loyalty. But why are tennis players "officially" associated with one country, all year long?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Here's a funny question, and it has to do with flags, and came to my mind because @MargaretMcAleer was saying that the AO is cautioning people about waving Russian and Belarus flags. Currently, AO website and ATP/WTA are showing a blank next to the names of Russian/Belarusian players. This is political, and we all know why. But why do they put flags by there names, at all? They play as individuals, not for a country, with the exception of some events like Olympics, Fed Cup, Davis Cup, United Cup, and sort of Laver Cup. So why are they always shown with a flag?

I have no opinion about this, just a curiousity. I get why you would wave a Spanish flag to support Rafa, or why the Fed fans and Novak fans face paint, etc. It's a way of showing support. Showing loyalty. But why are tennis players "officially" associated with one country, all year long?
It’s a good question. I think it’s simply a remnant of times when the world was less international, and sports were more national, if not local. Some people still only root for players/teams from their own country (especially during the Olympics, as you mentioned), but I think this is becoming less important than it used to be.

Look at Federer: he‘s from a small country, yet has more fans than anyone, so obviously it’s not a Swiss-only thing (although you’d probably be hard pressed to find a Swiss who isn’t a Federer fan). Rafa is the same. Serena has fans all over the world. Personally, I’ve never felt compelled or had any desire to root for players from the US because I’m from here, too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a good question. I think it’s simply a remnant of times when the world was less international, and sports were more national, if not local. Some people still only root for players/teams from their own country (especially during the Olympics, as you mentioned), but I think this is becoming less important than it used to be.

Look at Federer: he‘s from a small country, yet has more fans than anyone, so obviously it’s not a Swiss-only thing (although you’d probably be hard pressed to find a Swiss who isn’t a Federer fan). Rafa is the same. Serena has fans all over the world. Personally, I’ve never felt compelled or had any desire to root for players from the US because I’m from here, too.
I've mostly found it quaint and harmless, if rather unnecessary. And it can be helpful in picking a draw challenge when you have nothing else to go on. But think about this: what if they never showed flags by their names? Would we think of tennis players more as the individual entities that they are? And if so, would it have been as likely that Wimbledon would have banned Russian and Belarusian players from Wimbledon? I'm just wondering.

Tangential note: while I noted above that ATP/WTA/AusOpen websites show a blank box next to players from Russian and Belarus, ESPN shows those flags. So what's up with THAT choice? I don't know that I really have an opinion, either way, (I know, shocking, me without an opinion,) but I was just wondering about it all. Thanks for responding, T.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll check that article(s) out later, but I heard a story the other day that a lot of smaller cable companies have moved to providing Broadband and maybe phone only, because paying for content is too expensive, esp. with so many people cutting the cable. Charter/Spectrum may do this, which would be huge, given their market share.