Tennis Broadcasters..time to clean house.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I was only 10 so I can't recall it as well as that but have watched it online and pretty tough loss alright. Their 1988 Roland Garros match was very good too, felt like it should've been a final eventhough it was a R16 match.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Front242 said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Leif reached the 1984 queens club final, losing in three to J P McEnroe.

Pretty good going considering that was McEnroe's best year and one of the best years by any player in the open era.

'84 was a magical year for McEnroe; and if he had held his temper, it could have been even more historic with a FO title! How someone who was up by 2 sets and a break can let themselves get distracted by cameras and whatever machinations are going on is still beyond belief! He was in the zone and should have won that match over Lendl going away! He had been taking a beating by Lendl for a couple years ('81-82) and actually got embarrassed a few times! I don't know if it was Budge or Kramer that supposedly sat him down in the locker room and told him he had to relentless attack! He recovered his dignity and started winning again and had Lendl down at that FO final in '84! I could be wrong in how I saw it; been 30 years, but he had it and allowed himself to lose concentration giving the match to Lendl in 5 sets!

That loss still haunts him -- and it should. He talks about it every year at RG. The sight of him stomping away from the trophy ceremony like a bratty, angry child is something I'll never forget.