Tennis Broadcasters..time to clean house.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, enough is enough.

Tennis is basically the only sport where knowledgeable viewers are punished and insulted by the hiring of "color" commentators who know absolutely nothing about the sport they are calling. I don't want any more multi sport talking heads anymore. Do your football, baseball, and basketball, and stay there. Tennis demands a 52 week, 24/7 focus, and showing up at a few Masters and Slams for a paycheck does not cut it.

MAIN offenders:

-the ultra bland and moronic Ian Eagle

-the ultra goofy Ted Robinson

-the ultra annoying Chris "Funky"Fowler

Accepting more nominations for the guillotine.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think Ted Robinson and Mcenroe can be a pretty good combo at times. I tend to agree with the other ones though.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Garro said:
I think Ted Robinson and Mcenroe can be a pretty good combo at times. I tend to agree with the other ones though.

Robinson is a ventriloquists dummy...he can be tolerated with Mcenroe if he lets Mac stick his hand up his back and and feed him lines while he lip syncs. His laughable and relentless Mac ass kissing is a boot.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I've got no problem with the commentary. I just hate this one guy (whose name escapes me) who never shows any enthusiasm. I mean, is he on anti-depressants or something? :p

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
I've got no problem with the commentary. I just hate this one guy (whose name escapes me) who never shows any enthusiasm. I mean, is he on anti-depressants or something? :p

Does not ring a bell...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:

Looks like the long arms of drugs reaches to commentators extending from players. ;)

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
TsarMatt said:

Does not ring a bell...

I've only heard him a few times, but yeah, no idea either.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
TsarMatt said:

Looks like the long arms of drugs reaches to commentators extending from players. ;)

..I might need some of those,soon....:puzzled

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
TsarMatt said:

Does not ring a bell...

Annacone maybe? He's mucho low energy. And for someone who's been on the inside with both Pete and Fed, his observations also are predictable and bland.

Cheers
TM

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I don't exactly know why but for some reason I just don't like Jimmy Arias, something in his voice and the way he talks,...and what he says I guess...;)

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I didn't used to like Brad Gilbert because his humour grated on me, but I've grown to appreciate both his expertise and enthusiasm for the game. I could definitely do without Mary Carillo who's like a bull in a china shop!

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:
Luxilon Borg said:
TsarMatt said:

Does not ring a bell...

Annacone maybe? He's mucho low energy. And for someone who's been on the inside with both Pete and Fed, his observations also are predictable and bland.

Cheers
TM
He is as vanilla as they come. But if you can get past the banality you can pick up some decent observations. But yeh, he is a bore.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
I don't exactly know why but for some reason I just don't like Jimmy Arias, something in his voice and the way he talks,...and what he says I guess...;)

Jimmy is ok in my book, but he is not polished enough to do big matches. He is very knowledgeable but also rough around the edges.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
lacatch said:
I didn't used to like Brad Gilbert because his humour grated on me, but I've grown to appreciate both his expertise and enthusiasm for the game. I could definitely do without Mary Carillo who's like a bull in a china shop!

Carillo?? Ughhhh...don't go there!!!!:cry

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
lacatch said:

Gilbert's has lost a lot of his brain power. At least half the time now on stats, line calls, rules, and strategy.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
The coverage in the UK can be frustrating because British tennis went through such a bad phase in the 70s-90s that the best British ex-players we have are Barry Cowan and Mark Petchey. It can be a bit embarrassing when these guys are sat there talking about what Murray needs to do to get back to slam-winning form when they themselves were average Challenger competitors.

N

NADAL2005RG

Tennis Miller said:
Luxilon Borg said:
TsarMatt said:

Does not ring a bell...

Cheers
TM

I don't have Agassi's "Open" book with me at the moment, but I recall reading that Agassi, Sampras and Annacone were in a room together and Agassi was telling Sampras how crucial Brad Gilbert is, and Sampras said something that gave Agassi the impression that Annacone didn't have much to do with Sampras' success.

N

NADAL2005RG

My favorite commentators: Pat Cash, Brad Gilbert and John McEnroe.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Frew McMillan - superb. Doesn't need to hear the sound of his own voice and is suitably equipped with a dry sense of humour.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
Frew McMillan - superb. Doesn't need to hear the sound of his own voice and is suitably equipped with a dry sense of humour.

Unfortunately, we don't get to hear him in the US.