Tennis Broadcasters..time to clean house.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I don't now either since I moved to Australia, but Fitzy (John Fitzgerald) is a good replacement for coverage here.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I expressed my displeasure toward Mr Koenig as a commentator a couple of months back.

I have decided now that I can forgive the accent for his passion for good tennis, so I take it back, I think I can accept him as a commentator now :cool:.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
I expressed my displeasure toward Mr Koenig as a commentator a couple of months back.

I have decided now that I can forgive the accent for his passion for good tennis, so I take it back, I think I can accept him as a commentator now :cool:.

Robbie rules!

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Luxilon Borg said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Robbie rules!

Certainly over Barry Cowan, Barry Milns, Peter Fleming, Mark Petchey etc. etc.

Tim Henman is our best commentator over here, by some way.

N

NADAL2005RG

People say Ashley Harkleroad is the best female commentator, but I haven't had a chance to hear her yet.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Robbie rules!

Certainly over Barry Cowan, Barry Milns, Peter Fleming, Mark Petchey etc. etc.

Tim Henman is our best commentator over here, by some way.

Fleming is particularly bad.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Leif Shiras is listed as a tennis journalist but unless it´s a different Leif (not a common name) I´ve heard him often and find him a good commentator. Robbie Koenig is definitely my favourite though. Wish he did slams as well as masters.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Leif Shiras is listed as a tennis journalist but unless it´s a different Leif (not a common name) I´ve heard him often and find him a good commentator. Robbie Koenig is definitely my favourite though. Wish he did slams as well as masters.

He does do slams, for the tennis channel, and for international broadcasts.

Shiras is very good, and understated. He played ATP by the way, with a win over Lendl.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, Shiras is very good. Yeah, never checked his stats but I saw he was an ex player. Good stuff having a win over Lendl.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Yeah, Shiras is very good. Yeah, never checked his stats but I saw he was an ex player. Good stuff having a win over Lendl.

A lot of the good guys like Robbie, Nick Lester etc work the online streams as well...

That Shiras win was in 1984, when Lendl was No.2 I believe.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The thing I like about Shiras and also Koenig is that neither guy is biased and they´re both very realistic with predictions and comments in general. Too often one commentator tries to put words in another´s mouth but they don´t fall for it and give their own realistic opinion. For example, Roger might be playing well enough to make finals but both guys would be realistic in saying he´s played well to reach the final but will have his work cut out for him beating Novak in the final. Others out there are blind and biased and annoyingly so, with unrealistic predictions.

Jimmy Connors isn´t bad either and was spot on with his Novak in 5 Wimbledon prediction. He´s also realistic and seemingly unbiased. Agree 100% with TennisFanatic7, Barry Milns, Peter Fleming and Mark Petchey are all pretty terrible. Petchey´s Murray worship is blind, he picks him over everyone unrealitistically and likewise Johnny Mc is a blind Nadal worshipper. I like grounded, reasonable and unbiased guys like Koenig, Shiras and Connors most.

N

NADAL2005RG

McEnroe is a blind Nadal worshipper?
Did McEnroe even tip Nadal to win the French Open?

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks/_/tournament/5
This year when ESPN released their French Open predictions-
Cahill picks Djokovic
Drysdale picks Nadal
Evert picks Nadal
P. McEnroe picks Djokovic
Shriver picks Nadal
Bryant picks Djokovic
Caple picks Djokovic
Garber picks Djokovic
Tandon picks Djokovic
Wilansky picks Djokovic

Not sure who John McEnroe predicted, but very few tipped Nadal.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
The thing I like about Shiras and also Koenig is that neither guy is biased and they´re both very realistic with predictions and comments in general. Too often one commentator tries to put words in another´s mouth but they don´t fall for it and give their own realistic opinion. For example, Roger might be playing well enough to make finals but both guys would be realistic in saying he´s played well to reach the final but will have his work cut out for him beating Novak in the final. Others out there are blind and biased and annoyingly so, with unrealistic predictions.

Jimmy Connors isn´t bad either and was spot on with his Novak in 5 Wimbledon prediction. He´s also realistic and seemingly unbiased. Agree 100% with TennisFanatic7, Barry Milns, Peter Fleming and Mark Petchey are all pretty terrible. Petchey´s Murray worship is blind, he picks him over everyone unrealitistically and likewise Johnny Mc is a blind Nadal worshipper. I like grounded, reasonable and unbiased guys like Koenig, Shiras and Connors most.

Agree totally that Shiras and Koenig are unbiased. One of the few.

It really IS irritating when broadcasters have a clear favorite.

It also is unpleasant when the American broadcasters are overly nationalistic.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Pam Shriver, Carillo, Gimmelstop & Evert all need a date at the Guillotine. :idea:

By the way, Harkelroad is terrible. That quiet mousy voice drives me up a wall. She's won all of about 50 matches total in her career. Her insight is severely lacking.

Best female announcers are Morariu, Davenport and Mary Jo when she's not w/ Shriver & company.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Leif reached the 1984 queens club final, losing in three to J P McEnroe.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Pam Shriver, Carillo, Gimmelstop & Evert all need a date at the Guillotine. :idea:

By the way, Harkelroad is terrible. That quiet mousy voice drives me up a wall. She's won all of about 50 matches total in her career. Her insight is severely lacking.

Best female announcers are Morariu, Davenport and Mary Jo when she's not w/ Shriver & company.

Agreed. I believe Carillo signs a contract at the beginning of a tourney that says ' I pledge my on-air contributions will be solely based on conjecture and gossip'
Gimmelstob doesn't bother me that much actually....

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

Pretty good going considering that was McEnroe's best year and one of the best years by any player in the open era.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

Pretty good going considering that was McEnroe's best year and one of the best years by any player in the open era.

'84 was a magical year for McEnroe; and if he had held his temper, it could have been even more historic with a FO title! How someone who was up by 2 sets and a break can let themselves get distracted by cameras and whatever machinations are going on is still beyond belief! He was in the zone and should have won that match over Lendl going away! He had been taking a beating by Lendl for a couple years ('81-82) and actually got embarrassed a few times! I don't know if it was Budge or Kramer that supposedly sat him down in the locker room and told him he had to relentless attack! He recovered his dignity and started winning again and had Lendl down at that FO final in '84! I could be wrong in how I saw it; been 30 years, but he had it and allowed himself to lose concentration giving the match to Lendl in 5 sets!