Taking Stock of the Young Guns (end of 2015)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, Chung didn't have much of a chance. A bit disappointed Coric lost, though - and so easily.

Benoit Paire seems like a good candidate to jump a notch this year. Maybe.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:
Already Chung and Coric are out. Probably Zverev soon. But Noah Rubin?

:snicker Chung was kinda done when the draw came out, don't you think??

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Rubin took down Benoit Paire in three sets. Happy for the young American. This wasn't the beginning I'd hoped for Benoit's year though. :cover

Rubin plays Pierre-Hugues Herbert next. A young(er) gun at 24, he upset Andujar to make it to the next round.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016/01/american-noah-rubin-upsets-17th-seed-paire-for-1st-major-win/57267/#.Vpz4D5MrKHo

Before you be happy for Rubin, you might want to check whether Benoit is one of the 16 BDFs (buzzfeed/bbc distinguished fellows). :devil

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Before you be happy for Rubin, you might want to check whether Benoit is one of the 16 BDFs (buzzfeed/bbc distinguished fellows).

We will probably never know. :nono

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
The TV guys at the AO were just talking about this young Canadian, Félix Auger-Aliassime , who is 15 years old. There has been a lot of talk about this kid and Brad Gilbert already calls him future number one. Shares the same birthday with Roger. Hmmm....

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
The TV guys at the AO were just talking about this young Canadian, Félix Auger-Aliassime , who is 15 years old. There has been a lot of talk about this kid and Brad Gilbert already calls him future number one. Shares the same birthday with Roger. Hmmm....

El Dude also mentioned him as well as JLB. He is from Montreal and he is a very tall kid for his age.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
1972Murat said:

El Dude also mentioned him as well as JLB. He is from Montreal and he is a very tall kid for his age.

I've watched him and he strikes the ball well. It remains to be seen if he has the fortitude to become an all time great, or just another Monfils - also the preeminent junior in his day. Gilbert can be overly effusive every so often. :snicker

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, he's one to watch. Can't believe he was born in 2000.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think, if I am not mistaken, that this last week was the first time ever, when at all events in a week: Buenos Aires, Rotterdam and Memphis, all the titles were grabbed by only players from the "lost generation": Klizan, Nishikori and Thiem.
I am a believer that this generation will have something to say before is all said and done. They will probably peak all of them later in their career, in the 26-30 range. That will confirm the new trend we have seen recently.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think you are right, herios. First of all, history is on their side. If we use my five-year spans starting with 4 and 9 (e.g. 1989-93), no generation has gone completely Slamless in tennis history - not just the Open Era, but going back to players born in the 1890s. The worst generation, at least of the Open Era, was the 1939-43 gen, which won only 5 Slams - 3 by Ashe, 1 each by McKinley and Bowrey, and 3 of those in the amateur era.

I don't know if they'll manage 5 Slams, but they should win at least 2 or 3. I also think this generation with break-out by winning a Masters this year. While they might not be able to challenge Novak yet - who is? - I could see this generation start regularly beating players like Ferrer, Berdych, and Tsonga, even Stanimal and Andy.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
I think, if I am not mistaken, that this last week was the first time ever, when at all events in a week: Buenos Aires, Rotterdam and Memphis, all the titles were grabbed by only players from the "lost generation": Klizan, Nishikori and Thiem.
I am a believer that this generation will have something to say before is all said and done. They will probably peak all of them later in their career, in the 26-30 range. That will confirm the new trend we have seen recently.

Good observations herios.

Klizan was ridiculously good during the second and third sets, hitting winners at will off the forehand side. Have been waiting for him to have a moment like this for a few years now. I hope he can continue to build on this.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Also an encouraging sign is the number of upsets I am seeing all over the place, way more than usual. That is a good sign of the rankings to be shaken up.

Even if not at the very top, but right below is good enough. That is a good start.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes, although here's a depressing thought. The 89-93 generation is, respective to age, where the 84-88 generation was at the beginning of 2011, when that generation had pretty much been the most dominant generation for over three years. It is by far the worst--or at least most late-blooming--generation in Open Era history, and it isn't particularly close. Even the weak 74-78 generation was much stronger.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Didn't now exactly were to post this, but it fits here. Brazilian Thiago Monteiro, who beat Tsonga at Rio Open a few weeks ago, is playing a Challenger in Chile, after receiving a WC. He is on the third round, beating a seed on the way. He was #338 (I guess, maybe lower) before Rio Open and now is close to 200. I believe he started the year close to #500. Two more months and he will join the conversation.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thiago Monteiro first came to my attention when he beat Tsonga. He started the year #463 in the world, although reached into the top 300 a couple years ago in 2014 and has pretty much fluctuated since then. He also reached as high as #406 in 2012, so he's been around for awhile. Not sure what his upside is, but the Tsonga victory is something.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude said:
Thiago Monteiro first came to my attention when he beat Tsonga. He started the year #463 in the world, although reached into the top 300 a couple years ago in 2014 and has pretty much fluctuated since then. He also reached as high as #406 in 2012, so he's been around for awhile. Not sure what his upside is, but the Tsonga victory is something.

He was AO Juniors champion three or four years ago. Have been plagued by injuries since them, but I do not have many more details. Maybe had a hard time finding support, given that he comes from a part of Brasil with zero tradition on tennis.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ATP launches the "Next generation" 2016 campaign, for players born 1995 or later

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/next-generation-2016-campaign-launch

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hey, they're copying me! ;)

Anyhow, every player they listed is mentioned in my latest blog.