Taking another look at Andy Murray's Open Era ranking

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy Murray's next Slam title (#4) will be a big one, at least as far as all-time rankings and consideration goes, or to those nerdy types like myself who care about such things!

Anyhow, here's my reasoning. Andy has three Slams now, which ties him with Jan Kodes and Gustavo Kuerten, just behind four-Slam winners Guillermo Vilas and Jim Courier and ahead of the many two-Slam winners. Like so:

6 Slams: Becker, Edberg
4 Slams: Vilas, Courier
3 Slams: Andy Murray, Kuerten, Kodes, Ashe
2 Slams: Smith, Nastase, Kriek, Bruguera, Kafelnikov, Hewitt, Safin, Wawrinka

Slams titles aren't everything, but they are the main badge of greatness - I think that is pretty widely accepted. But everything else matters, especially, in rough order: year-end #1 and weeks at #1, other big titles like tour finals and Masters, as well as other rankings, Slam results, minor titles, etc.

For awhile now Andy has ranked as the best in his "Slam tier." When he won his first he was probably the best single-Slam winner, or among the very best. When he won his second he stood out above the rest, or at least close to Nastase who is certainly now (again) the greatest two-Slam winner of the Open Era. Among his current group of two-Slam winners, Andy and Ashe are close and they're both way ahead of Kodes and Kuerten, who aren't as good as some of the two-Slam guys (especially Kodes).

So here's the thing. If and when Andy wins his fourth, he not only surpasses everyone below him--both because of his four Slam titles but the strength and depth of the rest of his record--but I think he becomes the best of the four-Slam winners. Vilas ranks higher than Courier, in my view, with a much deeper resume. Courier has the #1, but Vilas has everything else (and should have a #1). Andy's overall record is superior to both, even though he doesn't have the #1.

So just one more Slam title and he not only separates himself from Ashe, but surpasses Courier and Vilas and puts himself as the best player of the Open Era with less than 6 Slams and, I think, possibly able to join the next group: Edberg, Becker, and Wilander (who despite winning one more Slam than the other two, has an overall lesser resume), what we could call the first tier of true greats. John Newcombe also belongs in his group, but is a bit harder to rank as he played in the 60s and 70s, but I'd probably rank him above Wilander but below Becker and Edberg.

What would Andy need to catch and surpass these three? Well, all three have something that Andy doesn't: a #1 ranking, even if only for a few weeks like Becker. Becker has three year-end titles and two WCT titles, and Edberg has the one year-end final and of course those two year-end #1. Wilander has a year-end #1, but no tour finals and overall inferior record. So to pass these guys, I'd say he needs to either:
Win 6 Slams or
Win 5 Slams and a WTF and get the #1 ranking, at least for a week

He probably doesn't have a chance of getting to the next tier: Agassi, McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, and Borg.

In summary, here is where I see Andy currently ranking among the greats of the Open Era. These include the entire careers of the players who played both before and during the Open Era, as well as Pro, Amateur, and Open Era Slams (understanding that the first two are not as potent as the last):

1. Laver (19)
2. Federer (17)
3. Rosewall (23)
4-6. Nadal (14), Sampras (14), and Djokovic (12) in some order (not wanting to touch this now ;)
7. Borg (11)
8. McEnroe (7)
9. Lendl (8)
10. Connors (8)
11. Agassi (8)
12. Becker (6)
13. Edberg (6)
14. Newcombe (7)
15. Wilander (7)
16. Vilas (4)
17. Courier (4)
18. Murray (3)
19. Ashe (3)
20. Nastase (2)

Or something like that. I think it could be argued that he should be ahead of Courier (although not Vilas...yet), or behind Ashe.

Now if Andy wins #4, he jumps ahead of Courier and Vilas to #16. If he wins a 5th AND is #1 AND a year-end final, I'd probably put him ahead of Wilander and Newcombe to #14. If he wins a 6th (in addition to #1 and the WTF), I'd put him ahead of those two at #12. If he has 6 and only the #1, it will be hard to differentiate him from those two. If he only has 6 and not the #1 or WTF, I'd keep him at #14.

p.s. I'm re-working a system I use for ranking players, so once I get that settled I'll post an updated list with their point values.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hi El Dude,would you not add 2 Olympic Golds & a Silver as to where you Rank Andy?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sid said:
Hi El Dude,would you not add 2 Olympic Golds & a Silver as to where you Rank Andy?

Absolutely - at least in my formula. The list above is just "eye-balling it."

But the tricky thing about the Olympics, is that they only became a tennis event in 1988, so it has to be contextualized. I see as similar in value to tournaments like the WCT finals, which is now defunct (or was rolled into the ATP finals along with the Masters Grand Prix in 1990, when the WCT ended and the modern ATP Tour started).

In rough order of importance, I see tournaments like so:

Open Era Grand Slams
Pro/Amateur Slams
World Tour Finals
WCT Finals/Grand Prix Finals/Grand Slam Cup/Masters/Olympics
ATP 500s/mid-level tournaments
ATP 250s/low-level tournaments

I used to consider the Olympics between that big group and the ATP 500, but I think it has become more highly regarded as far as the players and level of competition is concerned, and it belongs in that middle group.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think it's become more highly regarded by the players.Just look @ Djokovic crying when he lost 2 Potty,must have hurt.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
So highly regarded that tons of them didn't bother playing. Hmmm.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:

Why were thay 2 fat (tons) or your fav could not win gold:snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:
Front242 said:

Why were thay 2 fat (tons) or your fav could not win gold:snicker

No, my fave did not play. Yes, all the ones that didn't play are too fat :cover Clearly, it's 'cos it's not anywhere near as important as you're making out. It's only best of 5 in the final ffs. The field this year was no better than a masters 500 with 10 of the top 20 missing.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
So the 46 Gold medals won by the United States is the same as a ATP 500.
your aving a laugh & no respect for sports stars.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:

WTF you on about? 46 medals in tennis? They didn't win any in tennis. We're talking about TENNIS.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
sid said:

WTF you on about? 46 medals in tennis? They didn't win any in tennis. We're talking about TENNIS.

Andy has won gold twice @ the Olympics,why don't you put all down who won Golds @ the Olympics,cos that's how you come across:ras: BTW ,I wonder if another tennis player will win 2 Gold singles again?????
Maybe/Maybe not.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:
Front242 said:
sid said:

Andy has won gold twice @ the Olympics,why don't you put all down who won Golds @ the Olympics,cos that's how you come across:ras: BTW ,I wonder if another tennis player will win 2 Gold singles again?????
Maybe/Maybe not.

And wtf does that have to do with the US winning 46 gold medals in completely different sports lol? Sure, it's quite possible no one will ever win 2 singles gold medals in tennis again but it's not often you have half the top 20 not even playing. Don't forget this FACT when you ponder on how exactly said medals were won and the first one was against a guy who had played the longest 3 set match of all time 19-17 in the 3rd which had a major effect on the outcome of the final and you know it.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
sid said:
Front242 said:

Maybe/Maybe not.

And wtf does that have to do with the US winning 46 gold medals in completely different sports lol? Sure, it's quite possible no one will ever win 2 singles gold medals in tennis again but it's not often you have half the top 20 not even playing. Don't forget this FACT when you ponder on how exactly said medals were won and the first one was against a guy who had played the longest 3 set match of all time 19-17 in the 3rd which had a major effect on the outcome of the final and you know it.

Get over Andy winning,your hate of Andy is clear 2 see,BTW sport is sport that's why millions watch it.I'm sure other tennis players had won 2 Golds you point of view would change.
Now i'm done with this as I've had enough of your crappy 19-17 bull.:mad:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
sid said:
Front242 said:
sid said:
Maybe/Maybe not.

Get over Andy winning,your hate of Andy is clear 2 see,BTW sport is sport that's why millions watch it.I'm sure other tennis players had won 2 Golds you point of view would change.
Now i'm done with this as I've had enough of your crappy 19-17 bull.:mad:

No, my point of view would not change regardless of who won it. It's a glorified masters event as is evident by the final being the only best 5 match in the whole tournament. Your comments are pretty out there. Sport is sport? Yes? And? Still no idea why the hell you're babbling on about 46 gold medals not related to tennis either when it has absolutely zero to do with this topic :nono And the 19-17 is reality, not bull. You can watch highlights.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
2 gold is really something, as amazing as Miller Time, or T-Mac unbelievable 13 points in the final 15 seconds against Spurs. Does MJ or LBJ need any single game to boost their resume? No, they have championship, MVP and FMVP.

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Camelo is the all-time best scorer in Olympics. I seriously doubt he was ever or will be top 3 player in any single year. The same in tennis, Olympics is far from the biggest tournament. Murray's Olympic record is less than Fed's WTF. Period.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That actually made me curious, BIG3. According to the Win Shares formula used by basketball-reference.com, Carmelo Anthony's best year was 2013-14 when he had a 10.7 WS. He wasn't even in the top 10.

But basketball is a bit different. A player can be a top scorer but be otherwise mediocre. Anthony is a good example and there have been many others.

But I hear and agree with your basic point!

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Yes, basketball is very different from tennis. Including soccer, these have much bigger tournament than Olympic. Murray's two consecutive 2 gold might be as hard to replicate as Roger's 5 consecutive Wim-USO. But their significance are not the same level.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Basketball is very different from tennis but is only big in USA not around the world.Soccer or Football as we call it is much bigger around the world as a sport.
(Point is the Olympics only come around each 4 years)
Wim or USO you can win 4 as to one Olympic Gold.
Any sports man or woman that wins a Olympic Medal for country puts them on another plane.
BTW the Olympics are bigger just take Michael Phelps,if your from the USA amazing what that man has done.

ps just take how far back when the Olympics started as a games.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sid said:
Basketball is very different from tennis but is only big in USA not around the world.Soccer or Football as we call it is much bigger around the world as a sport.
(Point is the Olympics only come around each 4 years)
Wim or USO you can win 4 as to one Olympic Gold.
Any sports man or woman that wins a Olympic Medal for country puts them on another plane.
BTW the Olympics are bigger just take Michael Phelps,if your from the USA amazing what that man has done.

ps just take how far back when the Olympics started.

No, winning an Olympic gold for a tennis player does not put them on another "plane," otherwise Marc Rosset and Nicolas Massu are on another plane from Pete Sampras and Roger Federer.

And comparing tennis to swimming is absurd. Swimming is a core Olympic sport, tennis is not.

Again, there's a middle-ground here. An Olympic gold medal is an impressive feat for a tennis player, but in the larger scheme of things--and among overall career records--it is less impressive than a World Tour Final, maybe even a Masters title. Why? Mainly because of the field. This year's Olympics field was very similar to an ATP 500 event.

Of course it is far more prestigious than an ATP 500 event, and among non-tennis fans than everything but a Slam. But in terms of competition, it is like one of the more stacked ATP 500s (e.g. Basel).

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't get you guys from the USA,the Olympic Games is so old in terms of History.
Without seeming rude,do folks in the USA not care about History & what the Olympics mean.
Would this be that the USA has a short history compared 2 the UK?
What i'm saying is it's like the Olympic Games mean nothing to you folks?
I guess we are all different on what we think & where we live.