So Much for Roger's "Comeback"

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:
Not looking good for Roger's future. He just got beaten in straight sets at one of his best tournaments by a similarly-aged player who has never beaten him.

Am I now allowed to suggest that he's winding down for earnest? What a bummer - talk about a quick fall. I'd be really surprised at this point if he makes good on his promise to play "a few more years."

Roger won his 17th slam last year and made his way back to #1 in the world - while on the other side of the mountain top.

Pete Sampras's last years were shaded with greater ignominy than Roger's 2013, yet he came back in 2002 to win it all. No one expected him to do it (other than Kieran), his results over the previous two years gave no indication that it would or could happen.

Maybe Roger's Wimbledon last year was his final slam. Or maybe he too has one left in him. For 'fans' to cry out for his retirement is rather selfish. As long as he loves playing the game, as long as he feels he's got something left, then shut up and support him. Celebrate those windows of brilliance when he has them rather than lament the glory years of days gone by.
Very well said nehmeth.
Roger sure has a very bad this year. At the moment he himself perhaps doesn't know how to change the direction of his failures. He is going through rough time the worst in his career.
I hope he starts 2014 better. He might have a slam in a year or he may not win any more slam atall. But tha doesn't have to anything with GOAT issue. As Broken and darthfed said for someone to be GOAT, we have to wait untill someone surpasses Roger's accomplishments.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mog said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:
Not looking good for Roger's future. He just got beaten in straight sets at one of his best tournaments by a similarly-aged player who has never beaten him.

Am I now allowed to suggest that he's winding down for earnest? What a bummer - talk about a quick fall. I'd be really surprised at this point if he makes good on his promise to play "a few more years."

Roger won his 17th slam last year and made his way back to #1 in the world - while on the other side of the mountain top.

Pete Sampras's last years were shaded with greater ignominy than Roger's 2013, yet he came back in 2002 to win it all. No one expected him to do it (other than Kieran), his results over the previous two years gave no indication that it would or could happen.

Maybe Roger's Wimbledon last year was his final slam. Or maybe he too has one left in him. For 'fans' to cry out for his retirement is rather selfish. As long as he loves playing the game, as long as he feels he's got something left, then shut up and support him. Celebrate those windows of brilliance when he has them rather than lament the glory years of days gone by.
Very well said nehmeth.
Roger sure has a very bad this year. At the moment he himself perhaps doesn't know how to change the direction of his failures. He is going through rough time the worst in his career.
I hope he starts 2014 better. He might have a slam in a year or he may not win any more slam atall. But tha doesn't have to anything with GOAT issue. As Broken and darthfed said for someone to be GOAT, we have to wait untill someone surpasses Roger's accomplishments.

Don't you think that Manacor's bull (or someone else) can win 17 GS ? I think it's possible but don't know when !!
When Pete won 14 GS, a lot of people said nobody would surpass him then....sport records are made
to be beaten

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
isabelle said:
Mog said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

Very well said nehmeth.

Don't you think that Manacor's bull (or someone else) can win 17 GS ? I think it's possible but don't know when !!
When Pete won 14 GS, a lot of people said nobody would surpass him then....sport records are made
to be beaten

Yes records are made to br broken.
When Pete won 14 slams many at that time thought difficult to break that record. Then Roger came along and not only break but won 17 slams and many again thought it will be difficult to surpass that.
Then came rafa and he is the closest one to threaten Roger's 17 slams record. It is possible that rafa or Djokovic could do it but we will wait until that happens. If Rafa or Djoko fails to break the record then i believe it might be quite a while.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:
Mog said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

Very well said nehmeth.

to be beaten

and a lot of folk thought 14 majors would be broken..

I thought it was breakable..obviously I didn't think his record would go in just 6 years but if you think about it we have only really had 30 yrs of proper participation in all 4 majors..

no giving the aust open a miss nowadays because its held over xmas and has low prize money..and also no ban from majors for turning pro..or being banned from majors for signing up to xyz tour..

17 well be broken too..might take ages, might not..14 wasn't quite the mountain folk claimed it was.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

No one expected him to do it (other than Kieran), his results over the previous two years gave no indication that it would or could happen.

That's not true.. There are a lot of us who always thought that Pete's game would start clicking once he was able to sustain his conditioning and remain injury free.. not just Kieran.

I don't think no one is calling for Fed's retirement but obviously there are red flags when he looses to Tommy R. If Roger had lost to let's say his all time favorite pigeon Andy Roddick, the red flag alert would have been nuclear. There is obviously a lack of motivation with Federer these days.. sure he gets up for Rafa, Murray and Djoker since those matches are always under the microscope. Noone saying that Roger can't regain the Fire, if anyone can, its him. Sure a few years from now, we will have this conversation about Rafa, Djoker and Murray as they exit their prime. This is sport and the all time grand champion is FatherTime. Its Life and reality.

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
I think it's time for Fed to take a move out of the Nadal playbook: take an extended training break from big events and work on: getting his back in prime shape, new racket time, and maybe even a new coaching perspective.

We always complained that Nadal needed to follow the Federer playbook with scheduling but it's time for Federer to follow Nadal with the extended time off strategy. Though it worked for Nadal and may not work for Federer, it may be a good way to really see if his head and heart are still in the game.

As far as coaching is concerned, I feel that either he is not listening to Annacone and should start or he is listening and should fire him and get an absolutely fresh perspective. This means listening to the coach and losing the attitude "I'm Federer so I'll listen to what I want." Of course, we're not there and he may very well be listening to his coaches but I have gotten the impression from interviews with Killer Cahill that Federer is selective in the advice he takes.

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I think Roger has to do "Rafa way":
Take rest of the year off, go to intensive fitness/physical training and start 2014 fresh and see how that goes.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That might not be a bad idea, Mog. I don't think he will do that, though, as I think he likes playing in London at the end of the year. Something tells me he won't play as often now, but enough to qualify. Of course, he has to win more to do that so he had better get the results.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

No one expected him to do it (other than Kieran), his results over the previous two years gave no indication that it would or could happen.

That's not true.. There are a lot of us who always thought that Pete's game would start clicking once he was able to sustain his conditioning and remain injury free.. not just Kieran.

I don't think no one is calling for Fed's retirement but obviously there are red flags when he looses to Tommy R. If Roger had lost to let's say his all time favorite pigeon Andy Roddick, the red flag alert would have been nuclear. There is obviously a lack of motivation with Federer these days.. sure he gets up for Rafa, Murray and Djoker since those matches are always under the microscope. Noone saying that Roger can't regain the Fire, if anyone can, its him. Sure a few years from now, we will have this conversation about Rafa, Djoker and Murray as they exit their prime. This is sport and the all time grand champion is FatherTime. Its Life and reality.

talk nonsense again AP. His 'all time pigeon' Andy has a better record against him than Tommy, losing to someone who you never lost to is about as alarming as it gets for any player.

BTW i also thought Sampras was always gonna have a chance to click, as long as the opponent was someone who wet his pants for him. I prayed for Agassi to beat Hewitt as i knew (and many do too) that Sampras had a very slim chance if Hewitt got into the final; whether you admit or not.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
nehmeth said:
El Dude said:

talk nonsense again AP. His 'all time pigeon' Andy has a better record against him than Tommy, losing to someone who you never lost to is about as alarming as it gets for any player.

BTW i also thought Sampras was always gonna have a chance to click, as long as the opponent was someone who wet his pants for him. I prayed for Agassi to beat Hewitt as i knew (and many do too) that Sampras had a very slim chance if Hewitt got into the final; whether you admit or not.

Ricardo, you don't know what you are talking about.. How many grand slams championships did Federer derail Andy as oppose to Tommy..Please tell me.. again the numbers don't lie.. post them and for once you will quit riding my jock ..:laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Asmodeus said:
I think it's time for Fed to take a move out of the Nadal playbook: take an extended training break from big events and work on: getting his back in prime shape, new racket time, and maybe even a new coaching perspective.

We always complained that Nadal needed to follow the Federer playbook with scheduling but it's time for Federer to follow Nadal with the extended time off strategy. Though it worked for Nadal and may not work for Federer, it may be a good way to really see if his head and heart are still in the game.

As far as coaching is concerned, I feel that either he is not listening to Annacone and should start or he is listening and should fire him and get an absolutely fresh perspective. This means listening to the coach and losing the attitude "I'm Federer so I'll listen to what I want." Of course, we're not there and he may very well be listening to his coaches but I have gotten the impression from interviews with Killer Cahill that Federer is selective in the advice he takes.

From your keyboard to Roger's ears. I agree with every part of this. I think he should strongly consider getting a new coach. There is nothing wrong with Annacone but I think Roger needs a fresh perspective. Annacone is just one of the entourage and it seems time for a new voice and different energy.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nehmeth had the right mind of it. Roger has spoiled his faithful for a long time with jaw dropping performances. Things go south a bit and everyone is at a loss for words. I would say this though, if his fall from grace gets out of hand, plummeting out of the top 10 and continues to lose to the Robredo's of the world, then he ought to retire to spare his dignity. I'd go the Roddick route if I had his resume, no doubt about it. Nobody wishes to see an all time great wallow in mediocrity -- nobody.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Asmodeus said:

From your keyboard to Roger's ears. I agree with every part of this. I think he should strongly consider getting a new coach. There is nothing wrong with Annacone but I think Roger needs a fresh perspective. Annacone is just one of the entourage and it seems time for a new voice and different energy.

I agree with his post, too. The most difficult part of this would be finding a new coach. Or convincing him he needs a new coach. Or even convincing him it's worth trying a new coach. I also remember Cahill discussing Roger's selective hearing when being coached. It makes sense, in that obviously he knows what he's been doing has been successful on a historic level -- why change what's worked so well? Can't you imagine him on court with a coach thinking, "He doesn't know what he's talking about. My [insert shot name] is great."

Yet this could be a significant factor of his continued bad results. Change would come hard now, I imagine, and understandably so. Granted, he tried a new racquet, which, without question, demonstrates some willingness to change, but he went right back to his old one. Again, why change what's worked so well? Does anyone honestly think he'll permanently make the switch? I'm not saying he won't, yet I won't be surprised if it never happens.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
Nehmeth had the right mind of it. Roger has spoiled his faithful for a long time with jaw dropping performances. Things go south a bit and everyone is at a loss for words. I would say this though, if his fall from grace gets out of hand, plummeting out of the top 10 and continues to lose to the Robredo's of the world, then he ought to retire to spare his dignity. I'd go the Roddick route if I had his resume, no doubt about it. Nobody wishes to see an all time great wallow in mediocrity -- nobody.

I certainly don't. I get the crowd saying that they would like to see Roger play forever even if he is barely top 50, top 100 or whatever. I guess even as fans we are all different.

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:
Asmodeus said:

I agree with his post, too. The most difficult part of this would be finding a new coach. Or convincing him he needs a new coach. Or even convincing him it's worth trying a new coach. I also remember Cahill discussing Roger's selective hearing when being coached. It makes sense, in that obviously he knows what he's been doing has been successful on a historic level -- why change what's worked so well? Can't you imagine him on court with a coach thinking, "He doesn't know what he's talking about. My [insert shot name] is great."

Yet this could be a significant factor of his continued bad results. Change would come hard now, I imagine, and understandably so. Granted, he tried a new racquet, which, without question, demonstrates some willingness to change, but he went right back to his old one. Again, why change what's worked so well? Does anyone honestly think he'll permanently make the switch? I'm not saying he won't, yet I won't be surprised if it never happens.

I would add that I don't think there's a lot that needs fixing apart from an entirely new approach in the ROS game. How much of this is related to his back issues I'm not sure we'll ever know. But he needs to attack this problem as if his life depended on it. There is no other way at this age. The tour is done with the Federer praises and are only looking to beat him at every opportunity.

If I were Federer, I totally try a new perspective which could mean sticking with the program even through difficult times. My goal would be to win a least one more slam but if I couldn't I would really want to play the spoiler to the other top players. If I can't get another I could at least go to bed satisfied with the fact that I stop some of the top dogs. Sometimes, a way of protecting ones legacy (slam totals) is stop others from adding to their totals.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:
Asmodeus said:

Roger has always been stubborn. It's hard to know if that's part of the problem right now and to what extent. He ditched the new racquet just for Cincy and USO which is not a bad move given his chances would be less at those events trying to adjust. I think he will keep his word and go with the new racquet for now on. Roger can't be thinking of what worked in the past, that is completely irrelevant as he flat out isn't as good as he was. Not even close in fact. He needs to adjust his thinking and his game to deal with that fact.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Roger can't be thinking of what worked in the past, that is completely irrelevant as he flat out isn't as good as he was. Not even close in fact. He needs to adjust his thinking and his game to deal with that fact.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but this is what I was trying to say.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
AndrewWilliam said:

I certainly don't. I get the crowd saying that they would like to see Roger play forever even if he is barely top 50, top 100 or whatever. I guess even as fans we are all different.

Those painful years near the end of Roddick's career were not enjoyable in the least. It got to the point where I was happy if he performed respectable against a top level player. Federer is a proud man. I don't expect he would get used to this for long.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
Nobody wishes to see an all time great wallow in mediocrity -- nobody.

Actually, I think a number of Rafa and Djokovic fans would delight in this.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
AndrewWilliam said:
Nobody wishes to see an all time great wallow in mediocrity -- nobody.

Actually, I think a number of Rafa and Djokovic fans would delight in this.

I am by no means a fan of Federer. His existence altered Roddick's career, of that there can be little doubt. But it is indeed a sad day when someone delights over the greatest player's demise (premature as it maybe). Those titanic battles with Fed shaped Andy's career and made him a better player, if not a more accomplished one.

But you're right. Some people are probably thrilled about this.