Sharapova fails drug test

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
I think the FFT will do the right thing. Call it a hunch, but I think they will. But they're probably delaying the decision until 15 May in the hope the decision will be taken out of their hands by results...

No, the entry to the tourney is decided six weeks before the GS based on the rankings six weeks before. It is only the seeding that get determined just a week before. Six weeks before RG, Maria has 0 points and thus is unranked. Hence, she is not even eligible to enter the qualifying tourney based on her ranking. This would remain the same even if she wins Stutgart, Madrid and Rome. She is totally at the mercy of FFT.

Yeah, but when are wild cards allocated? Nearer the tourney, no? My source for saying May 15 was tennis.com...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is the latest on Maria from tennis.com. The FFT has not announced any wild cards yet. There are 8 WCs, although two of them reserved for reciprocal agreements with Aussies and Yankees. There is no deadline to announce WCs. They just have to do before the draw ceremony, that's all.

Anyway, it looks like Maria will get WC into the quals and not the main tourney. I think it is right decision.

It would be interesting to see whether Diva has the audacity to turn down the WC into quals.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
Sharapova will find out on 15 May if she'll be given a WC for Paris. IDK why the delay, but also, I'd hope the GS tourneys would be above the sordid backroom peddling that involved Sharapova getting a WC to Stuttgart. Simply put, the slams should follow the rankings with regards to returning drug cheats. They can't be seen to be rewarding them ahead of more deserving young players...

EDIT: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/04/sharapova-told-week-of-may-15-if-she-can-play-at-french-open/65572/

They really have little shame! It wouldn't be the 1st time; headliners get special dispensation short of "murder!" I really don't care either way! I can't even watch women's tennis; no real fave and Serena's #1 for a little while longer though retired for the time being! I'm all for making sure "up & comers" get every chance to get experience and not undermine their development making room for someone who hasn't played in months; even if by injury! This is all on Maria and her management group! Since when are we obligated to hold a spot in the top echelon of our sport just because a player has something unfortunate happening in their life? I still remember the women grumbling about Seles getting a break due to her stabbing! Why would we be more accommodating for a cheat and a fraud? That's life in this big world we live in; "deal with it Maria!" If Haas gets one more "straight in" entry I'm gonna scream! :puzzled :nono :gross: :cover - - - - - http://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/08/fan-page-novak-nole-djokovic.html - -

Tennis Channel is a trip ..they are replay one of Maria's last win over Serena..Wimbledon 2004..Good Grief..I guess they are trying to appeal to her fans.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
I think the FFT will do the right thing. Call it a hunch, but I think they will. But they're probably delaying the decision until 15 May in the hope the decision will be taken out of their hands by results...

No, the entry to the tourney is decided six weeks before the GS based on the rankings six weeks before. It is only the seeding that get determined just a week before. Six weeks before RG, Maria has 0 points and thus is unranked. Hence, she is not even eligible to enter the qualifying tourney based on her ranking. This would remain the same even if she wins Stutgart, Madrid and Rome. She is totally at the mercy of FFT.

Yeah, but when are wild cards allocated? Nearer the tourney, no? My source for saying May 15 was tennis.com...

Your source is OK about May 15th. But, the reasoning that the delay in decision is hoping that the results would take the decision out of their hands is yours and is not valid.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Your source is OK about May 15th. But, the reasoning that the delay in decision is hoping that the results would take the decision out of their hands is yours and is not valid.

Dopeapova is gonna get a WC for the qualifier rounds only per ESPN.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It gets better they no likey Maria..

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/19234193/tennis-maria-sharapova-return-biggest-test-yet

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
It gets better they no likey Maria..

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/19234193/tennis-maria-sharapova-return-biggest-test-yet
no one likes her except for a few ruskies like Sveta,Makarova and Vesnina,,hope they heckle her when she plays in the USA like they did to Sveta.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Genie Bouchard rips into Sharapova...

She's a cheater and so to me ... I don't think a cheater in any sport should be allowed to play that sport again. It's so unfair to all the other players who do it the right way and are true. So, I think from the WTA it sends the wrong message to young kids—cheat and we'll welcome you back with open arms.

I don't think that's right and ... [she's] definitely not someone I can say I look up to anymore because that's definitely ruined it for me a little bit.

Reactions: teddytennisfan
N

Nekro

Genie Bouchard rips into Sharapova...

She's a cheater and so to me ... I don't think a cheater in any sport should be allowed to play that sport again. It's so unfair to all the other players who do it the right way and are true. So, I think from the WTA it sends the wrong message to young kids—cheat and we'll welcome you back with open arms.

I don't think that's right and ... [she's] definitely not someone I can say I look up to anymore because that's definitely ruined it for me a little bit.

Genie who?

Well, at least this shows the flea circus is over soon, at the start of the "scandal" the dumber slam winners said this or that, then came the wave of useless slamless pushers, and now, near the end there's only the noname rodents left..... This gives us reason to be optimistic...

Reactions: teddytennisfan

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hats of to Genie Bouchard for her statement - which I agree in - comes with a little about her own condition:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in-hEb_OQxo[/video]

N

Nekro

Oh my!!! Sharapova hit 9 aces against Makarova. Must be some serve dope developed for her by the KGB..

Jenny Butcher must be throwing tantrums.... No wonder, players with superior technique returning is bad for hackers like her.....

From wiki:

"drastic downturn in results from early 2015 onward as opponents adjusted to combat her counter-punching style. Bouchard's forehand and backhand techniques are visibly flawed, with both strokes regularly involving exaggerated shoulder turns in an attempt to force power. These flaws are compounded by her tendency to hit early after the ball's bounce, resulting in rushed shot production."

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to admit I like that she is coming out swinging. Seems she will embrace the role of villain. Regardless of how at fault Sharapova is, and make no mistake her legacy is clearly tarnished, she was always a fierce competitor.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
hoergren said:
Hats of to Genie Bouchard for her statement - which I agree in - comes with a little about her own condition:

I just saw a small clip surfing past TCC! It was a rough statement; usually verboten save The WTA usually wanting to speak with one voice! I'm not accustomed to players going rogue and actually condemning another player! If done, maybe someone without a cloud hanging over their own head would be nice! What's the status of her lawsuit against the US Open? I would guess settled if she's being allowed to mouth off like that! :nono :p :rolleyes: - - - The Nole BLOG - -

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder whether they test banned players during the ban. Technically, they are out of competition and therefore it may not be legal to test them. In that case, it may be a good time to dope on stuff that will have lasting power when you restart on the tour.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Following her opening-round win the day before, Sharapova was also asked if she had found an alternative to address the physiological concerns that she said had led to her being prescribed  meldonium, which does not require a prescription in Russia and is not sold in most countries beyond Eastern Europe.

"That information is between myself, the WTA and the orthopedic doctor I am working with now," she said.

Sharapova would not discuss specifics about her doctor and whether she is also using others.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Orthopedic doctor? Is that a typo? Anyone who has followed this story knows she is a liar and a cheat.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
gamesetmath referring to this article which is really good summing up a lot of things:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-4459050/Maria-Sharapova-dig-deep-stop-sneers.html

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently Maria was attempting to cozy up with Grigor at Madrid. Don't know whether the feeling is mutual.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Apparently Maria was attempting to cozy up with Grigor at Madrid. Don't know whether the feeling is mutual.
Dimitrov doesnt want that suspect cold fish:snickerhe is with an older sexier woman who is not obsessed with money...pova can go hang with her money and her hideous agent.