Sharapova fails drug test

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
Is it not ITF making the announcement, not WADA? Wise decision to wait until next week so the winners of FO can bask in the limelight before the ruckus begins when the length of ban is made known.
Whatever the verdict, there will be an outcry.

It is TDAP that will be making the announcement and not WADA. TDAP stands for Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. TDAP works under the governance of ITF and reports to ITF. TDAP is not an independent body like WADA; however they allegedly have autonomy. If Maria thinks punishment is too heavy, she can appeal to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sports). Similarly, if WADA thinks punishment is too light, they can appeal to CAS (there is precedence when WADA has done that before).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks to Medlonium, finally Serena tops Dominatrix and becomes the highest paid female athlete.

Interestingly out of the top 10 highest paid female athletes, 8 are from tennis. Only exceptions are Danica and Ronda.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Thanks to Medlonium, finally Serena tops Dominatrix and becomes the highest paid female athlete.

Interestingly out of the top 10 highest paid female athletes, 8 are from tennis. Only exceptions are Danica and Ronda.
Serena and Venus have been earning millions since they were youngsters,Venus was a millionaire at 10yrs...so money has always been part of their lives..15yrs Serena was already a millionaire...so its 20yrs of banking millions,,apparently pova has a large group of people she is paying...like more than 30 people.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Serena and Venus have been earning millions since they were youngsters,Venus was a millionaire at 10yrs...so money has always been part of their lives..15yrs Serena was already a millionaire...so its 20yrs of banking millions,,apparently pova has a large group of people she is paying...like more than 30 people.

And the not-so-funny joke is with all these people on her payroll, no one thought to inform her that Meldonium was being added to the banned list. :cover smh

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:

And the not-so-funny joke is with all these people on her payroll, no one thought to inform her that Meldonium was being added to the banned list. :cover smh
I think doping was between her and Yuri...their secret.She became careless when she was busy with Sugarpova...I wouldnt be surprised that some of her sponsors didnt want anything to do with her and exposed her or punish her for focusing on sugarpova and less on their products...

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly, Tossip. I have thought about the various scenarios, and come to the conclusion that her staff didn't tell her because only she and her dad knew she was taking it. This leads me to think that she never listed Meldronium on the testing sheets. While possible she completed the drug sheet in private, it is unlikely nobody saw the document even once. This choice not to list makes her look very guilty which should be reflected in the length of ban. We shall see this week.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tossip said:
GameSetAndMath said:

It is difficult to believe that no one on her team did not bother to inform her that Meldonium was banned knowing that it is relevant. As tossip says it is possible that her team did not think it is relevant as nobody knew that she was taking it in the first place.

However, a more probable scenario is that they knew it was on the banned list, but decided to take a "calculated" risk either as a whole team or Dominatrix herself made the decision despite the good advice of her team. In either case, it makes sense that she will not blame it on others.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well playing the blame game never works because if she has more to hide then throwing someone else on her team under the bus isn't a good way to keep other things hidden.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maria is banned for two years - here is her reaction

CkcEI3qXEAEokW1.jpg

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow, 2 years..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/maris-sharapova-suspended-for-2-years-for-doping/ar-AAgNClh

I think this is a great time for her to put away the birthcontrol pills and start making babies

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I originally thought 2 years was fair and appropriate time for the crime. Now let's see what happens when she appeals.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Even if Maria gets some reduction in her appeal to the CAS, I don't think anything less than 1 year is possible a this time.

Apparently Maria also failed for a second time on Meldonium test given out of completion to her on 2nd Feb.

Also, Maria's team apparently could not provide any medical validation to her taking it after 2013.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
hoergren said:
Maria is banned for two years - here is her reaction

CkcEI3qXEAEokW1.jpg

The spin that Maria puts in the above statement is totally wrong. Here are the details of the findings of the tribunal . They actually concluded that Maria took it for enhancing performance. :devil :nono

Here are some excerpts.

'In the tribunal's view the answer is clear. Whatever the position may have been in 2006, there was in 2016 no diagnosis and no therapeutic advice supporting the continuing use of Mildronate (Meldonium).

'If she had believed that there was a continuing medical need to use Mildronate then she would have consulted a medical practitioner. The manner of its use, on match days and when undertaking intensive training, is only consistent with an intention to boost her energy levels.

'It may be that she genuinely believed that Mildronate had some general beneficial effect on her health but the manner in which the medication was taken, its concealment from the anti-doping authorities, her failure to disclose it even to her own team, and the lack of any medical justification must inevitably lead to the conclusion that she took Mildronate for the purpose of enhancing her performance.

The statement later revealed, 'Sharapova admitted that she did not disclose her use of Mildronate on any doping control form which she completed between 2014 and 2016', although they did disclose some other medications and vitamins.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
THIS IS AWESOME NEWS. Just home and just read it on tennis.com. Hopefully the grumpy, cheating cow retires now.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
The ITF has gained my respect. Pova says it tried to ban her for four years. I thought it was going to find all kinds of excuses to let her off. Definitely no Olympics which is what I was most concerned about. No more major titles either, in my opinion. She will be too old and rusty. Justice prevails. The players in the locker room must be thrilled. Except for Kuz, everyone dislikes her.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
The ITF has gained my respect. Pova says it tried to ban her for four years. I thought it was going to find all kinds of excuses to let her off. Definitely no Olympics which is what I was most concerned about. No more major titles either, in my opinion. She will be too old and rusty. Justice prevails. The players in the locker room must be thrilled. Except for Kuz, everyone dislikes her.

Do not believe Maria's spin. The moment they accept the test results and do not contest it, they automatically get some deduction and so ITF would not have tried for 4 years ban.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
THIS IS AWESOME NEWS. Just home and just read it on tennis.com. Hopefully the grumpy, cheating cow retires now.
Righteous Fronty.. Pova thought she was ABOVE the Law, well she was but aint no more:clap

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think they are going to reduce it. I think it is fair, and I think it is meant to send a message to all players, that it won't be tolerated no matter who you are.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
They have made the ban effective from Jan 26th, the day of the first positive test. I am a bit surprised by that. I thought it will be retroactive ban starting from March 12th, the day suspension began.

So, at any rate this would mean that her earliest next slam is RG 18. So, she had to miss 8 slams, 2 WTFs, 1 Olympics not to mention Premier events and other smaller tourneys.

After reading the report of the tribunal, I doubt whether any company would sponsor her. Expect lot more withdrawals from sponsors in the next couple of days.