Sharapova fails drug test

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a shocker! I don't know what surprises me more: that Sharapova took PEDs or that the WTA/ITF did not cover it up. Sharapova is a big name in tennis.

Reactions: britbox

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'd imagine the hit on her commercial interests will be astronomical.
Not sure, she seems to have an adequate explanation and she takes full responsibility.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: WTA News and Gossip 2016

Front242 said:
That $h1t is dope, man :p

And vice versa! :laydownlaughing

I wonder what kinda jail time she'll get. A two year ban, is that the limit? :popcorn :cover

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
She wouldn't be a top athlete if she had angina. So this starts to sound a little dodgy!

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Kieran said:
But this is different to the Russian athletes who failed drug tests. Melodonium was legal when she began to take it. So her taking it up unilt it was banned isn't suspect. It was within the rules.

The strange part is how she didn't know it had become illegal...

Well - again don't tell me they (people around her) didn't read the report from 2005. And yes it's "legal" until banned. Then let me compare it with cyclists - "funny" to see how many astma patients there are among them. Astma - they shouldn't ride a bike as pros.

Maria is the unlucky part and she has to take her quarantine - then she can get rid of her shoulder injury and come back clean. 10 years on a "lie" - well :nono:nono:nono

Just read rhis article about the stuff

https://jakegshelley.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/what-is-melodoniummildronate/

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

hoergren said:
Kieran said:
But this is different to the Russian athletes who failed drug tests. Melodonium was legal when she began to take it. So her taking it up unilt it was banned isn't suspect. It was within the rules.

The strange part is how she didn't know it had become illegal...

Well - again don't tell me they (people around her) didn't read the report from 2005. And yes it's "legal" until banned. Then let me compare it with cyclists - "funny" to see how many astma patients there are among them. Astma - they shouldn't ride a bike as pros.

Maria is the unlucky part and she has to take her quarantine - then she can get rid of her shoulder injury and come back clean. 10 years on a "lie" - well :nono:nono:nono

No, again you're missing the point. The drug was legal when she first took it, then they banned it and she still took it. She says it was a mistake on her part. This is all the intel we have for now, so to say she was "10 years on a lie" is just you speculating, but with little to base your speculation on.

I think she can be criticised enough for what came out of her own mouth regarding this, without us taking raw speculation as fact. The next stage in this is a statement from the WTA, and we'll see if that tallies with Maria's version...

Tennisman12345

Futures Player
Reactions

So Ana Ivanovic will get the AO 2008 trophy now :D

Also Sharapova beat Bencic at the AO this year :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Not fair for Belinda :(

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I know I'm a little p..... about this - sorry to be so negative but:

Meldonium was added to the WADA list of banned substances on January 1st, 2016 because of “evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance.”

read the whole article here:

https://jakegshelley.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/what-is-melodoniummildronate/

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Plausible. You take something all you life, it is legal, then they ban it, you still take it because people around you are stupid and they do not follow the rule changes like they are supposed to...

I am willing to believe it for now.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Tennisman12345 said:
So Ana Ivanovic will get the AO 2008 trophy now :D

Also Sharapova beat Bencic at the AO this year :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Not fair for Belinda :(

No titles or wins before January 1st 2016 will change.

Here is the text from TADP

Cc-VDsAUEAAocTp.jpg:large

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is dodgy mate, that's why WADA banned it.
Sure is dodgy. Stupid as hell too that she took it while it was just put on the doping list this year. Didnt the WTA/ITF communicate this change to the players?

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Apparently, she ignored an email sent by WADA in December. Surprised noone in her entourage double checked this stuff.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Taking it for health reasons for 10 years. ROFL! Throw her under the bus. Pathetic excuse. Good to see the authorities have stepped it up and let's hope others are caught too because it's hardly like she's the only one. It's plain as day obvious the sport is full of dopers and about time they're clamping down on it. Can only hope Fuentes' blood bags aren't destroyed. Anyway, back to Sharadopa, the drug has a 2 month half-life so the dumb b1tch messed up there and likely took it well before the AO and couldn't get it out of her system in time. Serves her right for being so dense anyway. If you're gonna dope in November with a drug that stays in your system 2 months you're an idiot.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Plausible. You take something all you life, it is legal, then they ban it, you still take it because people around you are stupid and they do not follow the rule changes like they are supposed to...

I am willing to believe it for now.

The highlighted part of this is the part I have a problem with, from Maria's perspective. I mean, doesn't she have an expensive team that looks into this stuff regularly, to make sure she's not going to make a mistake? This is the funny part of it. Not so much a "stupid mistake", as a criminal mistake. Taking it when it was legal isn't dodgy, as you say...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Corporations don't like to be associated with that sort of stuff. I think she'll take a huge hit.

It depends. For some reason I don't think her popularity will suffer too much from it, or her public perception. I might be wrong though. If that is the case, I don't think the corporations will care too much. Did Hingis suffer from the failed drug test? Not really.

Nike only dropped Lance when they really had to.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

She was also silently banned and the forearm nonsense was bs same as Cilic's fake injury they made when he was already banned. Sharadopa was charged on March 2nd. Oh yeah but it's 'cos of her forearm injury she can't play Indian Wells. Pull the other one lol.