ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) [32]

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
Nadal vs. Federer -- quarterfinal? That would be such a blockbuster

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ tbh - and this is coming from an avid Fedal fan - i think this would be the least interesting "Rafa versus another Big 4 member" matchup possible right now - or at least no bigger blockbuster than any of the other variations. after the FO battle, people would go insane over another Rafa v Nole, and a QF would be straight up ridiculous. and meeting Murray? on this ground, Wimbledon, etc? the british media would go to full "loco" mode.

mind you, for an old-fashioned, sentimental guy like me, a Rafa v Roger qf would have it's charm... and the earlier, the better the (slim) chances for Roger. but still, the other versions would be much, much bigger.

anyway, with all due respect, here's hoping for a Daveed v Rafa quarters.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The one who benefited by the bonus points was Kohlschreiber, ranked 18, got into the top 16, based on his good record on grass, compared to those ranked ahead of him, ex. Raonic.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nadal is due for a couple claycourters in the first three rounds. That's the only thing I hope for in the draw, after that I could care less.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Nadal is due for a couple claycourters in the first three rounds. That's the only thing I hope for in the draw, after that I could care less.

Cupcakes are cupcakes. He has no business struggling against anyone in the first 3 rounds. Petz, Haase, Rosol, Kendricks is not exactly the death row of tennis. Just be grateful the court doesn't stay fast and low bouncing...

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
huntingyou said:

Cupcakes are cupcakes. He has no business struggling against anyone in the first 3 rounds. Petz, Haase, Rosol, Kendricks is not exactly the death row of tennis. Just be grateful the court doesn't stay fast and low bouncing...

Because Federer has never struggle against cupcakes either, whatever you tell yourself buddy to stay calm.

The court stay the same as it was since Wimbledon is being play on grass; naturally the grass will wear out like it always has.

For a talent like Rafa, it makes no difference just like it made no difference to Borg during his time. Each players has strengths and weaknesses; Rafa ROS due to his backswing takes a while to calibrate; you just can't be the perfect claycourter and expect to translate 100% of your game in a couple weeks time.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
DarthFed said:
huntingyou said:

Because Federer has never struggle against cupcakes either, whatever you tell yourself buddy to stay calm.

The court stay the same as it was since Wimbledon is being play on grass; naturally the grass will wear out like it always has.

For a talent like Rafa, it makes no difference just like it made no difference to Borg during his time. Each players has strengths and weaknesses; Rafa ROS due to his backswing takes a while to calibrate; you just can't be the perfect claycourter and expect to translate 100% of your game in a couple weeks time.

Roger has only had struggles in the first week two times (2010 and 2012) when he was going on 29 and 31. The ROS is not as big of factor as the forehand being pedestrian for Rafa the first week. If it ain't jumping off the court it is sitting up for even the journeymen of the tour to punish. The grass didn't used to play like this at all...heavier balls and the change in surface make it a completely different tournament than it used to be. Some have benefitted more than others...

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
huntingyou said:
DarthFed said:
huntingyou said:

Roger has only had struggles in the first week two times (2010 and 2012) when he was going on 29 and 31. The ROS is not as big of factor as the forehand being pedestrian for Rafa the first week. If it ain't jumping off the court it is sitting up for even the journeymen of the tour to punish. The grass didn't used to play like this at all...heavier balls and the change in surface make it a completely different tournament than it used to be. Some have benefitted more than others...

whatever mate, this is an old tired mirage that it's not confusing anybody keen for good observation. grass is still grass, the change was actually in the percentage of mix. I thought when Rafa won Queens in 2008 with "old" grass the whole tired mantra was going to die off.

the DIRT beneath the grass is the same DIRT.....don't understand your whole ball jumping high mantra. Nadal can hit flat as well as deep; the ball doesn't have to jump like clay and it doesn't jump like clay.

the ROS is the biggest liability for rafa in the first week because it takes him time to click his game. Because of his lack of confidence returning big serves, his whole game suffers and he has said as much. Even on clay the guy get's nervous when he can't break serve. By the second week, like most great players he elevates his game in addition to worn out grass that defenitly aids his spin but it has always been the case in Wimbledon; grass gets WORN DOWN by the second week.

tell me how pedestrian the forehand looks here:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsYvSUfIEN8[/video]

repeat something enough times, it get's to the point that people actually believe it. Pay attention that gulbis has always been a tough out for Rafa, even on clay

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If Gulbis plays like he did against Berdych last year and draws Nadal he's in with a very good shot. He served 30 aces in that win against Berdych on the fast grass. Gulbis in that form tbh would trouble anyone. 30 aces in 3 sets is ridiculously good.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
If Gulbis plays like he did against Berdych last year and draws Nadal he's in with a very good shot. He served 30 aces in that win against Berdych on the fast grass. Gulbis in that form tbh would trouble anyone. 30 aces in 3 sets is ridiculously good.

he would be a threat to ANYONE.....and that's my point all alone.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Front242 said:

he would be a threat to ANYONE.....and that's my point all alone.

Which is why I said anyone as Fed's ROS is utter crap these days so naturally a guy serving like that could easily beat him or anyone else for that matter. It just takes one poor service game with your opponent serving like that.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm hoping Andy and Rafa are not in the same half but I suspect they will be. If memory serves me they were in the same half in 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2008. I suspect 2009 would have been the same if Nadal had not withdrawn. Will 2013 be any different? I don't think so. The only difference is that it will be in the quarters and not the semis. Wimbledon seem determined to deprive me of my dream final. :(

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Iona16 said:
I'm hoping Andy and Rafa are not in the same half but I suspect they will be. If memory serves me they were in the same half in 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2008. I suspect 2009 would have been the same if Nadal had not withdrawn. Will 2013 be any different? I don't think so. The only difference is that it will be in the quarters and not the semis. Wimbledon seem determined to deprive me of my dream final. :(

Then the good news for you has to be that Andy feels confident if he will need to play him in the QF:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/17/wimbledon-2013-andy-murray-nadal

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
less than an hour to go til the draw begins!

anyone listening in? and does anybody know the order in which they go about it? i guess they probably start with the doubles or something?

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
According to the official wimbledon twitter account it's Federer, Nadal and Murray in one half. Wow.
Djokovic, Ferrer and Berdych in the other one. Very unbalanced draw as expected due to Rafa being 5th.

Edit: Here's the confirmation:

Wimbledon ‏@Wimbledon 4m

Day One of play will include Federer, Nadal and Murray as they are all in the bottom half of the draw #Draw2013 #Wimbledon

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
wow. Fed and Nadal in the quarters, that's fair game to me. but for them to happen into Murray's half, with Tsonga in Murray's Q - that is really unlucky (then again, maybe it was Karma in response to the RG draw).

Wawrinka v Hewitt! how about that for a first rounder. also, RF versus Batman. BBecker will get a replay against Murray. Rafa v Darcis (who can strike a hard ball). and Nole v Florian "weirdest fh prep in the game until Gulbis changed his" Mayer.

reddy

Reactions
Djokovic and Ferrer must be loving this draw.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Poor Tsonga. In order to win Wimbledon, he has to go through Murray, then the winner of Fed/Rafa and finally Djokovic in the finals. :laydownlaughing This bottom half is brutal, just brutal. Djokovic must be laughing his arse off.