Roland Garros, Paris, France, ATP GRAND SLAM (Paris Sidewalk Cafe Discussions II)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe an unseeded decent dirtballer in Round 1 but otherwise it's damn tough. If Groth does pull out then it could get harder for Nadal - depending on the lucky loser.

His R2 is
Maybe an unseeded decent dirtballer in Round 1 but otherwise it's damn tough. If Groth does pull out then it could get harder for Nadal - depending on the lucky loser.

I do not see any challenge for him in R2 either. His event starts in R3, basically.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
C'mon herios - this draw is a beast for Nadal.

He's got a bit of a nemesis Fog, he's got the best young gun on dirt Thiem, Tsonga, World Number #1 Djokovic and World Number #2 Murray - of course some of these might not pan out, but on paper that is really a brutal ride. I expect him to make the semis but some of those other matches may take a cumulative toll. Who would you throw in to make it even tougher? By any estimation, if he's going to win this thing then he'll do it the hard way.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dunno mate, that draw looks pretty loaded to me. I think Nadal's draw is by far the hardest on paper... but we all know these things draws rarely pan out as expected.

This is Nadal we are talking about. On clay. At RG. Nobody is going to challenge him except Djokovic, and perhaps Murray or Nishikori. Except for that weird match against Isner, the only competitor out there that has been able to challenge him here is Djokovic. Nadal is a beast. He'll be fine until the semis.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is Nadal we are talking about. On clay. At RG. Nobody is going to challenge him except Djokovic, and perhaps Murray or Nishikori. Except for that weird match against Isner, the only competitor out there that has been able to challenge him here is Djokovic. Nadal is a beast. He'll be fine until the semis.

I'd expect him to win those matches... just like I'd expect Djokovic to win his matches... Murray - but we're talking about the severity of the draw... he's got some tough assignments...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Rafa's draw has its complications, but not terrible. One thing about Thiem's section is that its really tough, and so whoever gets through there could be pretty beat up. Fognini's not acting like much of a threat these days, nor Berdych. Djokovic looks to have a straight path to the semis, though.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

He's got a bit of a nemesis Fog, he's got the best young gun on dirt Thiem, Tsonga, World Number #1 Djokovic and World Number #2 Murray - of course some of these might not pan out, but on paper that is really a brutal ride. I expect him to make the semis but some of those other matches may take a cumulative toll. Who would you throw in to make it even tougher? By any estimation, if he's going to win this thing then he'll do it the hard way.

C

There are a lot of more dangerous floaters he could have gotten, than Groth or Bagnis.
Bellucci would have been nice. Or Verdasco

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Rafa's draw has its complications, but not terrible. One thing about Thiem's section is that its really tough, and so whoever gets through there could be pretty beat up. Fognini's not acting like much of a threat these days, nor Berdych. Djokovic looks to have a straight path to the semis, though.

They all have straight paths in my opinion. I would consider even relatively speaking that their challengers are of the same level. Fognini is not even going to make it to round 3. Batista Agut would be as much as a challenge as beaten up Thiem. Berdych vs Goffin/Tsonga: same level.

There are some interesting first round encounters though when I was picking my way through the draw: Dimitrov/Troicki, Kohli/Almagro, Seppi/Gulbis, Muller/Baggy, and Verdasco/Dolgopolov.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think you've been paying enough attention to Thiem Denis. It's probably a year or so early for him... but this kid has serious game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray's got a tricky first round in Stepanek, who got filled in as his "qualifier," then pretty straight-forward until potential Nishikori QF. Nishikori's section looks a bit heavier than most. He's got Kyrgios in there and some clay guys.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Murray's got a tricky first round in Stepanek, who got filled in as his "qualifier," then pretty straight-forward until potential Nishikori QF. Nishikori's section looks a bit heavier than most. He's got Kyrgios in there and some clay guys.
Nishi has Nick's number until further notice. Kyrgios won't relish that match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is funny: Stan just beat Lukas Rosol in Geneva, in 3, and they meet R1 next week.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think you've been paying enough attention to Thiem Denis. It's probably a year or so early for him... but this kid has serious game.

I am exited about Thiem since I saw him play Nadal at RG a few years ago. But I don't think he can mount a serious challenge here this year against Nadal. I will be rooting for him, of course. Batista Agut is like a second Simon, could be as troubling for Djokovic as Thiem is to Nadal, relatively speaking that is.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I agree that Thiem is a tough cookie, but on the same token, have you been following Fognini lately, how poor results he has had? Also Tsonga is quite underwhelming therefore I think Rafa has a tough R4 and that would be it. Unless F3 or JWT will wake up.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Qualifiers have ended. Here are the players who won their spot:

Kamke, Stepanek, Darcis, Struff, Trungellitti, Berlocq, Carballes-Baena, Brown, Ungur, Ilhan, G. Melzer, Samper-Montana, de Schepper, Basilashvilli, Djere, Albot.

The youngest is Serbian Djere (20), the oldest is Radek Stepanek.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree that Thiem is a tough cookie, but on the same token, have you been following Fognini lately, how poor results he has had? Also Tsonga is quite underwhelming therefore I think Rafa has a tough R4 and that would be it. Unless F3 or JWT will wake up.

Fog's only been back from injury recently and carrying too much lead (weight) but even in Barca he played Nadal tough in the latter part of the match only losing in a tie break he should have won. Like I say, I expect Rafa to win these matches, but some of these are players who can extend him... and it can have a cumulative effect.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Qualifiers have ended. Here are the players who won their spot:

Kamke, Stepanek, Darcis, Struff, Trungellitti, Berlocq, Carballes-Baena, Brown, Ungur, Ilhan, G. Melzer, Samper-Montana, de Schepper, Basilashvilli, Djere, Albot.

The youngest is Serbian Djere (20), the oldest is Radek Stepanek.
I have a question: Since Roger bowed out after the qualifying started, who takes the extra slot, one more qualifier? I mean I know everyone moves up in the seedings.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have a question: Since Roger bowed out after the qualifying started, who takes the extra slot, one more qualifier? I mean I know everyone moves up in the seedings.

Yes, they will also have to add actually 2 lucky losers, to replace Federer and Monfils.
We will know them when the qualifiers will be added into the draw.

Reactions: britbox and Denis

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fog's only been back from injury recently and carrying too much lead (weight) but even in Barca he played Nadal tough in the latter part of the match only losing in a tie break he should have won. Like I say, I expect Rafa to win these matches, but some of these are players who can extend him... and it can have a cumulative effect.

Can't wait for all of it to start! Usually we just slum through the first week, only to all get exited when something unexpected happens like Simon/Djokovic or Nadal/Verdasco at this years AO. You never know what will happen. Anyways, it's good everyone is in Paris (with the exception of Federer, man it already feels empty without the guy).

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can't wait for all of it to start! Usually we just slum through the first week, only to all get exited when something unexpected happens like Simon/Djokovic or Nadal/Verdasco at this years AO. You never know what will happen. Anyways, it's good everyone is in Paris (with the exception of Federer, man it already feels empty without the guy).

Leaves a void for sure (Fed's absence)... but less so this year I think. With his recent issues and all + I think we're beginning to see a new generation start pushing through. I'm pretty excited about Thiem, Zverev, Kyrgios...

Fed's absence might boost his grass court chances. If he isn't at Wimbledon, then I think that's a big big void...