Roland Garros / French Open [Women] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If Serena makes the q/finals she will have her hands full with Sabalenka.,agree she needs to win matches on clay to gain confidence before Wimbledon.
Serena needs to give the French all she has to offer. Halep will be back at SW19.and her game plan from a few years ago will still be very effective.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serena has a relatively decent draw. Not necessarily an easy one if she is not consistent. I would hope she at least made it to Sabalenka.
The draw is definitely a bit more top heavy. I’m hoping Serena surprises and at least makes the QF to gain some confidence before Wimbledon.
Grass is ideally suited to her game, but as a warmup I always thought the French Open was a nice segue.

Yes, the key is match play. TBH, i thought Serena came into this year's AO in her best conditioning in a couple of years, and hopefully these claycourt losses will help sharpen her focus (example of the glass half full of looking at things). Unlike so many American players Serena has always enjoyed playing at the French Open (does she still have that apartment in the 7th arrondisement? ) and she loves Paris, so here's hoping she's relaxed enough to just go for it. IF she makes it to the 4th round I would be happy; QTRs and more is simply gravy.

While Naomi has to be the heavy favorite on HC, Naomi is susceptible to being upset at times, so you just never know. But yeah, the clay could lead to grass triumph for Serena , fingers crossed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Before we start round 1, I will post below who has had the most clay wins before Roland Garos.

Barty 13-3 Stuggart
Kudermetova 13-3 Charleston 500
Badosa 13-2 Belgrade
Gauff 12-3 Parma
Sabalenka 11-2 Madrid
Osorio Serrano 11-2 Bogota.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena needs to give the French all she has to offer. Halep will be back at SW19.and her game plan from a few years ago will still be very effective.
Interesting fact regarding Sabalenka if she plays Serena in the q/finals, she has never made it past the 4R of any slam (or 3r of the clay one).,though I must admit she is coming into the French playing well.I did make mention to KS that she needs to keep her UFE low if she has a chance going forward.
Quite frankly I think a lot of coaches have taken notice from Cahill with his tactics how to play Serena,though they have to go out on court and be able to deliver those tactics.If by chance they do meet at Wimbledon,Patrick and Serena will be very aware of their tactics.BTW I think Serena is in better physical shape today,than when she met Halep in the final at Wimbledon.,a few years ago.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Interesting fact regarding Sabalenka if she plays Serena in the q/finals, she has never made it past the 4R of any slam (or 3r of the clay one).,though I must admit she is coming into the French playing well.I did make mention to KS that she needs to keep her UFE low if she has a chance going forward.
Quite frankly I think a lot of coaches have taken notice from Cahill with his tactics how to play Serena,though they have to go out on court and be able to deliver those tactics.If by chance they do meet at Wimbledon,Patrick and Serena will be very aware of their tactics.BTW I think Serena is in better physical shape today,than when she met Halep in the final at Wimbledon.,a few years ago.
You have a lot of confidence in Patrick abilities to get Serena to execute his coaching tactics.. maybe I would too but Serena's late 2nd week matches hasn't produce a lot of sets won or even competitive sets. Again..I hope you're correct.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You have a lot of confidence in Patrick abilities to get Serena to execute his coaching tactics.. maybe I would too but Serena's late 2nd week matches hasn't produce a lot of sets won or even competitive sets. Again..I hope you're correct.
I too agree as of late Serena talks a good game of being fired up and competing, but it just doesn’t show in her tennis when her back is against the wall. She used to go to that second and third gear when things weren’t working now it is like let’s stay in first gear and do an even worse job than what got me to this point in the first place. Let’s also acknowledge Serena didn’t comeback in exactly the best competitive shape that she could have been in and I feel finally this year she had something click that said oh let me get back into good physical competing condition.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I too agree as of late Serena talks a good game of being fired up and competing, but it just doesn’t show in her tennis when her back is against the wall. She used to go to that second and third gear when things weren’t working now it is like let’s stay in first gear and do an even worst job than what got me to this point in the first place.
I can tell just like myself, you don't take any joy in doubting Serena's abilities to win another major

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can tell just like myself, you don't take any joy in doubting Serena's abilities to win another major
She could but I feel like when she is losing she doesn’t stop and take a minute. She rushes through the match like let’s get this loss over with rather than look across the net and imagine it’s Maria Sharapova and I’m going beat you like you stole my earnings.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I too agree as of late Serena talks a good game of being fired up and competing, but it just doesn’t show in her tennis when her back is against the wall. She used to go to that second and third gear when things weren’t working now it is like let’s stay in first gear and do an even worse job than what got me to this point in the first place. Let’s also acknowledge Serena didn’t comeback in exactly the best competitive shape that she could have been in and I feel finally this year she had something click that said oh let me get back into good physical competing condition.
Agree with your thoughts Serena is in much better physical shape this year,than the last 2 years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She could but I feel like when she is losing she doesn’t stop and take a minute. She rushes through the match like let’s get this loss over with rather than look across the net and imagine it’s Maria Sharapova and I’m going beat you like you stole my earnings.
Maybe Serena has to imagine every opponent is Sharapova,who tends to bring out the best in Serena

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
That's the only thing that I feel would inspire her.. having Sharapova across the net. Excellente jajaja

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel Serena has to pace herself better in matches,she comes out blazing in the first set,then cannot keep up the pace in the 2nd set,making too many UFE.,ends up losing in straights or 3 sets.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I feel Serena has to pace herself better in matches,she comes out blazing in the first set,then cannot keep up the pace in the 2nd set,making too many UFE.,ends up losing in straights or 3 sets.
I think she panics when she isn’t returning well enough to get looks at a break since her serve isn’t bailing her out nearly as much as it used to for her. She never looks at ease when she is having difficulty breaking serve.

I wish she would employ the body serve more especially when she gets in trouble on serve.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think she panics when she isn’t returning well enough to get looks at a break since her serve isn’t bailing her out nearly as much as it used to for her. She never looks at ease when she is having difficulty breaking serve.
I also think age has something to do with it,sometimes with age,being older, we second guess ourselves,and panic,when things maybe not going our way.Serena has always been a good returner,she has to believe in herself more,I know that is easier said than done.

Reactions: kskate2

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

I wish she would employ the body serve more especially when she gets in trouble on serve.
Serena isn't giving the point time to develop plus she is watching her shot instead of moving her feet back to the recovery position..the only time she moves her feet is in her hitting sessions in practice..I know it seems simple to correct but she has to manage her nerves to develop the "happy feet" again..you can't be victorious in your matches if your feet are "unhappy".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Agree about the body serve,also I hope she uses her kicker serve on clay

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

The body serves will be more effective if she comes in and moves her feet to hit the inside out FH.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The body serves will be more effective if she comes in and moves her feet to hit the inside out FH.
Well she has to try something, so far her only options are clay and grass for a slam because she hasn’t really figured out an effective tactic against Osaka on hard courts. I’d take an ugly win for Serena, but she hasn’t even figured out a good way to do that yet when the match isn’t going her way.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
USO 2018 against Naomi. That barnburner wasn't a QF? I remember the momentum went back and forth and Saba led in the decider and gave the match back. That opened the door to Naomi winning her 1st slam.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Draw is very top heavy.........Barty,Svitolina,Kenin,Muguruza,Swiatek

Bottom half.......Serena,Kvitova,Azarenka,Sabalenka,Osaka.
I don't know that I agree it's top heavy. I think it's a bit more balanced. I mean realistically only Ash and Iga are threats up there, w/ Mugu running a close 2nd only if she gets her head right. The bottom half seems more volatile and unpredictable. You have no idea how Serena will fair and she's the only player in the draw to win RG multiple times. P3tra, Vika and Saba are wildcards. They can play like a gazelle on the dirt and hit a hot streak or look like cows on ice... :smiling-face-with-horns:

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.