Roland Garros: Early Thoughts

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The big problem is Azarenka. She needs to play some smaller tournaments to get her ranking up. She isn't getting enough match play because she keeps going out to motivated players or top players early.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sundaymorningguy said:
The big problem is Azarenka. She needs to play some smaller tournaments to get her ranking up. She isn't getting enough match play because she keeps going out to motivated players or top players early.

She does it to herself, by being such a head case! If she isn't getting into 3 set battles with some kid that still has mommy wiping their noses, it's having a huge lead with several match points and giving it all back; normally with a simple double fault or 3! It's easy for everyone to pan her for the shortcoming, but it happens too often! It's not just injuries that's hurting her comeback! Sharapova isn't much better in the same respect to getting into unnecessary battles and losing matches with a significant lead! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

She does it to herself, but being such a head case! If she isn't getting into 3 set battles with some kid that still has mommy wiping their noses, it's having a huge lead with several match points and giving it all back; normally with a simple double fault or 3! It's easy for everyone to pan her for the shortcoming, but it happens too often! It's not just injuries that's hurting her comeback! Sharapova isn't much better in the same respect to getting into unnecessary battles and losing matches with a significant lead! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

What are you talking about? She just started her comeback less than 6 months ago and hasn't been back to full match fitness until arguably the clay season started, her worst surface.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
sk310 said:
Fiero425 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

She does it to herself, but being such a head case! If she isn't getting into 3 set battles with some kid that still has mommy wiping their noses, it's having a huge lead with several match points and giving it all back; normally with a simple double fault or 3! It's easy for everyone to pan her for the shortcoming, but it happens too often! It's not just injuries that's hurting her comeback! Sharapova isn't much better in the same respect to getting into unnecessary battles and losing matches with a significant lead! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

What are you talking about? She just started her comeback less than 6 months ago and hasn't been back to full match fitness until arguably the clay season started, her worst surface.

The loss to Serena in Madrid is still fresh in my mind! It was so gutless of her to charitably give away that match with multiple double faults and spraying of shots! It was hers to take; Serena wasn't putting up that much of a fight! :cover :nono

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Petra doesn't have a bad draw! She could actually go all the way to the final.

1st round: Erakovic
2nd round: Soler-Espinosa / Parmentier
3rd round: Begu
4th round: Keys
Quarterfinal: Bouchard
Semifinal: Serena
Final: Sharapova / Halep

But this is Kvitova. She could win the whole thing as easily as going out in the first round. Gonna be very interesting.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
sk310 said:
Fiero425 said:

The loss to Serena in Madrid is still fresh in my mind! It was so gutless of her to charitably give away that match with multiple double faults and spraying of shots! It was hers to take; Serena wasn't putting up that much of a fight! :cover :nono
Vika has some meltdowns against Serena like AO10 was leading a set and 4-1 in the second set but still lost the match at USA Open 12 she was serving for the match and still lost the match...its a mental block:popcorn

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBj_zEqrMMc[/video]

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
Maria doesn't face a difficult opponent until the QFs when she could face Suarez Navarro or Kerber. By not difficult I mean it should be an absolute cake walk to the QFs. Lucky draw opening up for her to win her first defended title, even year slam, and consecutive year slam. If she doesn't make the finals its only her own fault.

/she never does. This is what is done for her every Grand Slam.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena has a very doable draw. she has players who can test her like Azarenka and Venus in her quarter, but she should be able to make the QF at least.

No she does not. Serena has a very tough draw as always.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
sk310 said:
Fiero425 said:

What are you talking about? Serena was up breaks several times and gave them back with lazy sloppy play. Also, when Vika has triple match point, the first two points on match point were won because Serena put up a fight. Vika donated the last three points of that game with double faults, but, a lot of that she because of the pressure Serena was putting on her at that moment.

Remember, they still had to play a tiebreaker after that game, and that was won outright by Serena's "non-fight."

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Petra has a great draw. Let's see if she beats herself as she usually does. Being her fan is not easy.

Kerber has a bad back. Keys has an arm injury. Looks like they won't go as far as some of us hoped.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena has a very doable draw. she has players who can test her like Azarenka and Venus in her quarter, but she should be able to make the QF at least.

No she does not. Serena has a very tough draw as always.

Well Venus has to get that far which as we know as of late is unlikely. Azarenka has a tough second rounder, so we will see. I don't see anyone other than Kvitova bothering Serena, and that is if Kvitova makes it that far.

The fact of the matter is most of the players on Serena's side are very much like Serena when it comes to the French in that they have to get as far. However of everyone in that top half, Serena is the more likely to go farther than say Venus, Vika, Woz or Kvitova.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
My picks for bragging rights:

Q1: C. Wozniacki (defeats Williams)
Q2: Kuznetsova (defeats Kvitova)
Q3: Halep (defeats Makarova)
Q4: Carla Suaz Navarro (defeats Daria)

Finals: C. Wozniacki vs. Halep

Winner: S. Halep

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
underestimate Rena at your own peril....remember her form going into AO15.I think she doesnt want attention going into this event..she has a tough draw but will navigate through it .
I see her going into the second week...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is hardware we are talking about, and I expect Serena to show up here. Her chances to increase her slam count get tougher and tougher as she ages and each slam she enters passes her by. I expect to see a fully engaged Serena here trying to get to 20. She can certainly win it, and I expect her to do better just because she wants to do better than her last results here. She should be more relaxed having bagged a slam already this year. This is also an opportunity to really gain some points and increase her lead for Number 1.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
This is hardware we are talking about, and I expect Serena to show up here. Her chances to increase her slam count get tougher and tougher as she ages and each slam she enters passes her by. I expect to see a fully engaged Serena here trying to get to 20. She can certainly win it, and I expect her to do better just because she wants to do better than her last results here. She should be more relaxed having bagged a slam already this year. This is also an opportunity to really gain some points and increase her lead for Number 1.
I hope she does show up...moving her feet and not being sluggish like last year.I think if she meets Vika she might be tested but I think she will go over that hump....hopefully she will not respond to the psychological tricks they use against her at this event.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Oy Ivanovic is facing Shvedova in the first round. Tough draw for someone already slumping so badly.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBj_zEqrMMc[/video]

Why do you post things in Russian? I doubt almost anyone here speaks Russian and understands.