Roland Garros: Early Thoughts

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
special700 said:
tossip said:
everything is made easy for pova to win,she never plays in the blazing sun or different courts.She never has to endure a watered down court or poor scheduling....:popcorn...or play when its very dark..I remember Venus playing against Pennetta wearing a track suit because it was late and cold...she will not play Kerber,Sveta or Pennetta at RG..:popcorn

This post is so, so true.

There may be some preferences shown in scheduling towards Pova. But, I just don't buy any conspiracy theory in the draw. I am also surprised that people believe in such conspiracy theories
despite they outlining the draw process clearly and even showing it live.

I am in the same place as you. I think the conspiracy theories are pretty silly. Theres not enough people that would stay quiet and keep it a secret. I mean lets be honest theres not actually a lot of people IN the tennis world who actually like Maria as a person. I do think she gets preferential scheduling but that has less to do with people wanting her to win and more to do with the fact that she probably fills stadiums. There was a period over the last few weeks where Vika was playing every single day and not even getting 24 hours between matches...Maria always got at least a full 24 hours. I don't think people are HELPING her win but, being the big money making blond gets you the best schedule.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
... I just don't buy any conspiracy theory in the draw. I am also surprised that people believe in such conspiracy theories despite they outlining the draw process clearly and even showing it live.

Exactly. And sometimes (Paris last year, for example) with Serena herself right there helping with the draw!

Also, it's libel to accuse people/organizations of draw fixing -- an illegal activity -- which is why we don't allow it here.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
... I just don't buy any conspiracy theory in the draw. I am also surprised that people believe in such conspiracy theories despite they outlining the draw process clearly and even showing it live.

Exactly. And sometimes (Paris last year, for example) with Serena herself right there helping with the draw!

Also, it's libel to accuse people/organizations of draw fixing -- an illegal activity -- which is why we don't allow it here.

Also if you're seeded its kind of difficult to fix the draw. We kind of know where at least the top 8 are going to fall. It's not like theres any chance a top 8 seed is going to face another member of the top 8 before the QFs. We have strange situations like this year where players still ranked in the top 10 have kind of had really bad years so far and so they're not really threats anymore but they're still protected so certain halts feel really light.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I vote for deleting all posts claiming that draws are fixed. I don't know whether the posters really believe in the fixing or not, but they are doing a good job stirring up discussions that are a waste of time. Let's move on to something interesting, something, at least, remotely based on reality.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
It sure will be interesting to see what Genie's ranking will be in 8 weeks.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Bouchard must have played well to take Carla to three sets in Rome. Let's see what form she is in for FO

She is a top twenty player, but does not have the game to be top ten, in my opinion. It is her mentally that got her far in the majors last year. If she starts to doubt herself with all the losses, she is toast. She has neither speed nor power to fight off the competition.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Shouldn't Genie be defending a title she won right before RG last year? Her ranking will definitely suffer SK310 as she has a ton of points to defend.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Shouldn't Genie be defending a title she won right before RG last year? Her ranking will definitely suffer SK310 as she has a ton of points to defend.

:p Duh that was my point. 8 weeks from now is the last days of Wimbledon. From now until then she's defending SF and Final points at Wimbledon and the FO.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
10sfan said:
Bouchard must have played well to take Carla to three sets in Rome. Let's see what form she is in for FO

She is a top twenty player, but does not have the game to be top ten, in my opinion. It is her mentally that got her far in the majors last year. If she starts to doubt herself with all the losses, she is toast. She has neither speed nor power to fight off the competition.

I don't think we know the real Genie yet. I do think you're right. I think she was really inspired last year and in general at slams she feeds off the energy. Still, I don't think Sam is the right fit yet. I don't think we'll know her "real" game until she finds a good match and kind of shakes off the pressure of last year. The way she's playing now she's not even a top 20 player.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Shriekapova will have to do a few things for the first time ever to win this thing. Like defend a Slam title and win in an odd-numbered year. Me thinks she wore out her shrieking in Rome but we'll see.

Doubt she can do it though. We'll see! :cool:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
dominatrix said:
sk310 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
There may be some preferences shown in scheduling towards Pova. But, I just don't buy any conspiracy theory in the draw. I am also surprised that people believe in such conspiracy theories

I am in the same place as you. I think the conspiracy theories are pretty silly. Theres not enough people that would stay quiet and keep it a secret. I mean lets be honest theres not actually a lot of people IN the tennis world who actually like Maria as a person. I do think she gets preferential scheduling but that has less to do with people wanting her to win and more to do with the fact that she probably fills stadiums. There was a period over the last few weeks where Vika was playing every single day and not even getting 24 hours between matches...Maria always got at least a full 24 hours. I don't think people are HELPING her win but, being the big money making blond gets you the best schedule.

:laydownlaughing funny post.

Why would you laugh at my post? I basically said it was ridiculous for people to say draws are fixed in Maria's favor. See this is why people dislike Maria fans as much as they dislike Maria.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
special700 said:
This post is so, so true.

FYI - Maria does not fill stadiums.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:

:p Duh that was my point. 8 weeks from now is the last days of Wimbledon. From now until then she's defending SF and Final points at Wimbledon and the FO.

Relax. I'm agreeing w/ you. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:

Relax. I'm agreeing w/ you. :)

Aga is now around 16 or so. Genie might want to go there to give her company.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
sk310 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

FYI - Maria does not fill stadiums.

Stop taking everything so literally. I obviously meant her marketing potential is greater than almost every other top 10 player right now. We've all had this debate to death. Im not saying its right I'm not saying I agree with it but more casual tennis fans would "fill a stadium" to see Maria than they would Halep, Kvitova, and most of the rest of the top 10.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
SK, I understand what you are saying, and would have agreed with you until recently. When I went to Indian Wells, Pova was playing center court, and only a small handful of viewers were there. I was one of them until I could no longer tolerate the screaming. On the other hand, Halep was on court two, and every seat was occupied. Halep has gained a big following, which is great to see.

My comment above has little to do with what was being discussed. I just wanted to point out that Pova is not as popular as she once was. I don't think true tennis fans admire much about her except her extraordinary fight.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
10sfan said:
On the other hand, Halep was on court two, and every seat was occupied. Halep has gained a big following, which is great to see.

That's interesting. I'm glad Halep is getting the attention I think she deserves.

What do you think her chances are at RG this year?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
10sfan said:
On the other hand, Halep was on court two, and every seat was occupied. Halep has gained a big following, which is great to see.

That's interesting. I'm glad Halep is getting the attention I think she deserves.

I think Halep will have a hard time defending finalist points from last year. She didn't make it to the final of any clay warm-up this year. She really needed to secure that #2 seed so she could have a chance at making it to the final. Now she will have to face either Serena or Maria just to get to the final and she doesn't have much confidence from her play to help push her over the edge in a close match.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tented said:
10sfan said:

I think Halep will have a hard time defending finalist points from last year. She didn't make it to the final of any clay warm-up this year. She really needed to secure that #2 seed so she could have a chance at making it to the final. Now she will have to face either Serena or Maria just to get to the final and she doesn't have much confidence from her play to help push her over the edge in a close match.

I agree with you. Although she may benefit from the pressure dying down a bit after her good results earlier this year. Sometimes its easier to go in under the radar. Also theres a very good chance either Maria or Serena will bow out before the SFs. It's easy to imagine a scenario where Maria gets knocked out in the first week and I'm not quite sure where Serena is physically or mentally as I think she's focusing more on Wimbledon/USO.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
kskate2 said:
tented said:

I agree with you. Although she may benefit from the pressure dying down a bit after her good results earlier this year. Sometimes its easier to go in under the radar. Also theres a very good chance either Maria or Serena will bow out before the SFs. It's easy to imagine a scenario where Maria gets knocked out in the first week and I'm not quite sure where Serena is physically or mentally as I think she's focusing more on Wimbledon/USO.

That's the big question: Will either or both even get to the SFs?

If Halep is in Serena's half, and they both get to the SF, Halep's Parisian dreams are done.

If Halep is in Maria's half, and they both get to the SF, chances are Maria will win, but I'd give Halep a better shot against her than Serena.

If Serena and Maria are both out before the SFs, Halep has a much better chance at making it to the final. Her biggest problems at that point would be herself (she can freeze in big moments), and/or running into, say, Azarenka -- a dangerous, low-seeded player.