Roger Federer : Can You Predict His Future

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Front242 said:
I remember 'cos I was watching it on holiday in Egypt. Tasty breadstick in set 3.

:ras: ;)

Federer played a smart, clean match against Rafa. He definitely deserved the win. Of course the following year, he served Nadal a bagel.

(I'll have to PM you about Egypt. I'm intrigued.)

There was an elderly Swiss couple behind us in the lounge and the wife came over to ask me where I found a stream. Directed them to livescorehunter.com just in time for them to see Rog seal the deal in set 3 :cool:

N

NADAL2005RG

Front242 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Unless Federer can bring that 2010 level, I've got Nadal winning the World Tour Finals. Actually, even if Federer played the same level as 2010, I'd give Nadal a shot of winning 2 sets instead of 1 (because Nadal will probably be physically fresher this time).

Fresher from all the tennis he's played than a guy who's sucked so much he's lost early practically every week? Hardly. Nadal's playing far better and that's obvious, but Fed is fresh as a daisy thanks to some totally crap play all year.

When I said "because Nadal will probably be physically fresher this time" I was comparing Nadal to the time he was in 2010 World Tour Finals (that I had just mentioned, when I said Murray pushed him to the limit the day before the final).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Front242 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Unless Federer can bring that 2010 level, I've got Nadal winning the World Tour Finals. Actually, even if Federer played the same level as 2010, I'd give Nadal a shot of winning 2 sets instead of 1 (because Nadal will probably be physically fresher this time).

Fresher from all the tennis he's played than a guy who's sucked so much he's lost early practically every week? Hardly. Nadal's playing far better and that's obvious, but Fed is fresh as a daisy thanks to some totally crap play all year.

When I said "because Nadal will probably be physically fresher this time" I was comparing Nadal to the time he was in 2010 World Tour Finals (that I had just mentioned, when I said Murray pushed him to the limit the day before the final).

That's not even a factor. Look how many times Nadal has been pushed to the limit and beaten his next opponent. AO '09 versus Verdasco and he beats Roger in 5. A lot of that was down to Roger playing total crap in set 5 in fairness but still, Nadal having a tough match before the final isn't even a factor. RG this year, 9-7 in the 5th and he steamrolled Ferrer in the final. Fatigue has rarely been an issue for Nadal. And also, you're talking best of 3 for crying out loud. If Nadal can play as fresh as a daisy after a five setter than I think he can muster up enough energy for a best of 3 WTA style match.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on, Rafa thumped him in the fifth, nothing Wodger could do about it...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He still has to play on indoor HCs, though, which is not his best. By which I mean his worst surface. With Murray on the injured list, and Djokovic a bit tentative, could be a good opportunity for Roger to finish the year with a flourish.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
He still has to play on indoor HCs, though, which is not his best. By which I mean his worst surface. With Murray on the injured list, and Djokovic a bit tentative, could be a good opportunity for Roger to finish the year with a flourish.

Good point. It will be embarrassing for Rafa to fail again this year at the WTF, especially under these circumstances. I'm of the opinion that he must win this thing at least once. Even Davydenko won it! Yes, it's Rafa's worst surface, but a serious GOAT-candidate should be able to pull this off at least once. He's only ever been in one final, and went one year and lost to everyone.

N

NADAL2005RG

tented said:
Good point. It will be embarrassing for Rafa to fail again this year at the WTF, especially under these circumstances.

No chance of that. This is Nadal you are talking about, not Failerer. BTW how did Nadal become the focus of a thread about Federer's future? Try to stay on topic everyone.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
tented said:
Good point. It will be embarrassing for Rafa to fail again this year at the WTF, especially under these circumstances.

No chance of that. This is Nadal you are talking about, not Failerer. BTW how did Nadal become the focus of a thread about Federer's future? Try to stay on topic everyone.

Nice try. This thread is about Federer and his future. Part of that is how he will do at the WTF, and Nadal's impact on that success. It's on-topic.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
How is Federer now "Failerer?" These nicknames don't work for so many reasons, some to do with logic and others to do with humour...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
tented said:

Let's see if he can do it before your voice breaks.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

Anyone would have thumped in the fifth, nothing Nadal had to do about it but watch Roger self-implode.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And are we seriously responding to someone who can't see that Murray being out of WTF helps Federer qualify? Even if Roger needs Murray's help beating world beaters such as Stan, Gasquet, etc. it kind of ignores the fact that Murray is leaving an extra spot open by not playing.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

You always think that and the word thumped is always in the sentence regardless of whether Roger played so badly he couldn't hit a barn door like Miami 2011.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
tented said:

Hope you remember "Failerer" has won it 6 times, which incidentally is 6 times more than Nadal I'm sorry to report. Oh, I forgot, you don't consider indoor tennis actual tennis and apparently neither does Nadal according to you. Sigh.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
tented said:

BTW how did Nadal become the focus of a thread about Federer's future? Try to stay on topic everyone.

Because you dragged him in. So stop, please.

This is historically a good time of year for Roger. He's still possibly the best player on indoor HCs.

N

NADAL2005RG

Moxie629 said:
Because you dragged him in. So stop, please.

This is historically a good time of year for Roger. He's still possibly the best player on indoor HCs.

I "dragged him" into it? Is he a 3-year-old? People talk about Nadal in Federer threads without me.

Yes its indoor season.....but you should ask Federer "What have you done for me lately?", because sorry to report but this is a different year. 2012, Federer won Wimbledon, won Cincy.....and didn't lose to a guy like Robredo at the US Open.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He played great against Nadal at Cincy for around 1.75 sets and can only surely improve on what's been a terrible year. Coming into his strongest part of the year he should hopefully do well. The only drawback is the new racquet and whether or not he has enough time to feel comfortable with it. He's surely trying to rev up his engines now though and finish the year a lot stronger than he started. And and btw, NADAL2005RG, Yes its indoor season.....but you should ask Nadal "What have you done for me lately at Wimbledon?", because sorry to report but this is a different year. 2012 he lost to Rosol and 2013 to Darcis. They all, not just Federer, have bad days and I look forward to seeing who Rafa is losing to at age 32 if he's even still playing. For the record, Federer wasn't losing to complete nobodies at age 26, 27 so it doesn't bode too well I'm afraid. It took him till age 32 really before that started.

Also why a rabid Nadal fan's involvement on a thread predicting Federer's future is even worth responding to in the first place I've no idea. Every chance you get, on every thread it's Nadal's the best this, Fed is crap, that. Nadal is the almighty king and you've always disliked Federer more than any other athlete. We get the drift at this stage so need to do it on every thread. All you're predicting for him is doom and gloom and actually I think that's great 'cos you're gonna look pretty damn stupid if he regains his form, especially before the WTF. He's been written off many times before and look at his 2012. He likes to prove the media and people like you wrong and has done it many times before.

Is it too difficult for you to concede that both Federer and Nadal are great players like most of us do regardless of who is our favourite? Nadal's had a great 2013 and I predict another great year for him if he stays fit and focused. See that wasn't hard, was it? Now maybe you don't think Federer is going to do any better than this year and that's fine. Hard to believe mind you as he can surely only improve on this year. But the need to slag him at every chance is just getting beyond a joke at this stage.

N

NADAL2005RG

So you are saying that Federer will win the 2013 World Tour Finals? Or are you saying he'll improve on his Cincy form? Just so I have this on record.

From what I read online, Federer was not written off in 2012. He has the most rabid fan base in tennis, and they were hyping him up before Wimbledon, throughout the internet (just as they did this year). Federer's backers always hype Federer up before Wimbledon.

Your post is dominated by Nadal.... You are clearly a rabid Nadal-detractor, and viciously steering this thread toward Nadal (in an extremely disruptive way) when I specifically told you not to.

Federer was a great player. No argument there.

You just said "Now maybe you don't think Federer is going to do any better than this year and that's fine." If that is "fine" then why the abusive and overly emotional post? The only person "slagging" is you, slagging me. I never slagged you for hyping up Federer, so why slag me for writing him off?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
So you are saying that Federer will win the 2013 World Tour Finals? Or are you saying he'll improve on his Cincy form? Just so I have this on record.

From what I read online, Federer was not written off in 2012. He has the most rabid fan base in tennis, and they were hyping him up before Wimbledon, throughout the internet (just as they did this year). Federer's backers always hype Federer up before Wimbledon.

Your post is dominated by Nadal.... You are clearly a rabid Nadal-detractor, and viciously steering this thread toward Nadal (in an extremely disruptive way) when I specifically told you not to.

Federer was a great player. No argument there.

You just said "Now maybe you don't think Federer is going to do any better than this year and that's fine." If that is "fine" then why the abusive and overly emotional post? The only person "slagging" is you, slagging me. I never slagged you for hyping up Federer, so why slag me for writing him off?

Good one. Trying to make out like you're a mod now. You specifically told me not to steer the thread toward Nadal. That's hilarious. In every thread you're either praising Nadal as the next coming of the son of God or you're slagging Federer. My post is dominated by Nadal? I'm not the one with another stupid signature line added every day. It looks ridiculous everytime you post even a 1 sentence reply now with all that spam after it. No, I'm not proclaiming Fed will win the WTF, merely saying he can only surely play better than he has and given his track record there he has as good a shot as any. Improving on his Cincy form even 10% would be enough to beat your guy anyway given the FH to BH doesn't work on indoor courts. I'm not hyping up Federer in any way by saying he can surely only improve on how he's been now. If you can't see the difference between that and all the Nadal is the best stuff you post then I dunno what to say.